MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I reached a point in my life where I decided, "you know what? I'm going to buy the best suit I can. I'm not going to cheap out, or look for a deal, or anything. F**k it. I'm getting what I want." And so I did - I bought this Alpinestars Race Replica suit at a tiny discount off of the $1700 price tag.

It has the super macho vented race hump, a Tech Race back protector, perforation everywhere, stretch panels in all the right places, it fits like the proverbial glove, and it looks the dog's dangly bits, as they like to say in the UK. As I took it out of the bag, I knew I had arrived.

Then one sunny Sunday I decide to put the suit on and go for a ride. And I'm riding down Page Mill Road near the top, when I hit some sand in a blind right hander and lose the front. I manage to catch it, but by the time I do, I'm running straight through the subsequent left hander, and I end up riding off-road through the drainage ditch for about forty feet before I pop back out on the road shaken but unscathed.

And when I stop a little bit later to take in the view and catch my breath, I think to myself, "What the hell am I doing wearing a $1700 set of leathers? If I fall in them, or a bug hits them, or if I even fart in them, I I'll end up crying myself to sleep for a month."

Long story short, I bought a cheap GPU suit on sale at Motostrano, and now I'm selling this set. Not a scratch on them, not one smashed bug, not a scuff on the sliders. These leathers were worn once, barring me trying them on in the store, and the one other time where I put all my gear on at home and stood in front of the mirror admiring myself. And when I say worn once, I don't mean worn once in ebay speak, or even "well, maybe I wore them one other time...hmmm, I don't really remember." One time, maybe 45 minutes. New leather smell, all that.

Anyway, MSRP $1700. I'll take $1250 for it, if anyone's interested. Size 44/54, blue/white/black/silver.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I wouldn't sell them if they were mine. $1250 doesn't get you much of a skin graft these days :shocker:

Guess they look good on a Silver/Blue F4 1000, in a Velocemoto sort of way :stickpoke

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
kevtam said:
and now I'm selling this set. Not a scratch on them not one smashed bug, not a scuff on the sliders
Just a brown stain in the rear... :toothless

Nice Leathers, I wouldn't sell them either and would be more concerned about dropping the bike.

I dont know what sort of insurance you have but mine covers gear if I come of the road.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've never heard of insurance covering gear before. i would definitely sign up for that, my gear being worth as much as a couple of my bikes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Rockethouse said:
Just a brown stain in the rear... :toothless

So does this mean they come with 3 sliders? :stickpoke :) Good leathers, and I wouldn't sell em, cause if I were to take a slide I would probably thank having good leathers. But the price seems reasonable

Cheers

·
Registered
114 Posts
Velocemoto said:
I can't help it I'm color coordinated and racy looking.... :laughing:
If these were red, size 50 and $100...hey, I'd buy them !!!!
If they were $100 I'd put on some extra beef and offer $110 :stickpoke :stickpoke :naughty:

·
Registered
225 Posts
kevtam said:
Then one sunny Sunday I decide to put the suit on and go for a ride. And I'm riding down Page Mill Road near the top, when I hit some sand in a blind right hander and lose the front. I manage to catch it, but by the time I do, I'm running straight through the subsequent left hander, and I end up riding off-road through the drainage ditch for about forty feet before I pop back out on the road shaken but unscathed.

And when I stop a little bit later to take in the view and catch my breath, I think to myself, "What the hell am I doing wearing a $1700 set of leathers? If I fall in them, or a bug hits them, or if I even fart in them, I I'll end up crying myself to sleep for a month."

Long story short, I bought a cheap GPU suit on sale at Motostrano, and now I'm selling this set. .
If I were you I'd keep them I had a really big crash on a mountain road recently in my Dainese bora suit. I broke my ankle and my hand but the suit did the job of protecting me. The real bummer though as well as breaking my ankle and hand was that the fire brigade cut me out of my suit and it's now cut to pieces :cry:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ow. i took a spill in a dainese suit before - it worked really well also, although the stitching on the outside of the calf was exposed, and it wore through, allowing the panels to separate, and putting my bare leg on the road. it doesn't look like they make them like that anymore. it wasn't a bora suit either.

good point though, and this suit is really top notch. hopefully no one will have to cut me out of it in the future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts