MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
looks like a nice suit. never owned an Alpinestar suit before, all 3 of my suits are from Dainese.

Have you considered custom suits from a reputable local maker? Although the Dainese suits have served me well, the fit is just not 100% perfect, so I have been wondering what it will be like to have a suit that the cuffs are the right size for my wrist and ankel, the knee and elbow armors are in just the right place and no hot spots from extra material etc... so I think I will try Z leathers ( http://www.zcustom.com/ ) for my next suit, I have heard great things about their product and I have also been to their shop, their suits are very well made and looks much better in person; FYI their site is hopelessly outdated. their standard suit designs doesn't do a thing for me, so for sure I will make my own design, or maybe a copy of one of Dainese's design like the Talos IV ... the newer Bora and Sukhoi are a bit too "busy" for me.

Of course Dainese provides custom leather too at a pretty high price, however I am not comfident about ordering custom leather by just sending in my measurement and receiving it in the mail without fitting, it seems a bit risky to me...

I don't know if you have heard of the story about Keith Code's leathers? he told me that a while ago he had a favorite suit which he wore all the time although it was a bit too tight for him, and one day he got a new suit that was made for him which fitted better and immediately he lapped 1-2 seconds per lap faster; I think that story was also in one of his books? just wanted to share that.

sorry for getting a bit sidetracked. :toothless

·
Registered
593 Posts
*tangent: Ordered a MV 1piece (in black) from MV Special Parts. The suit came in last week and I thought the quality was excellent. Unfortunately they sent the wrong size and im waiting for my correct suit. Pricey but to me it looks worth it after finally seeing it in the flesh. I really liked how it had something that resembled pucks on the elbows in addition to the elbow armor. Not to mention the MV brand all over and a huge MV logo on the back. Something to consider (you probably already have).

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Get some pics in the suit on that Gladio of yours :p

As for Dainese, which ones have you owned? Bora V1 is what I hear great things about. Holds up in spills, great protection and air flow. Considering one of those, myself..

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
As for Dainese, which ones have you owned? Bora V1 is what I hear great things about. Holds up in spills, great protection and air flow. Considering one of those, myself..
I have:
T-Age 2pc, mostly for street riding.
T. Tobruk 2pc for street and track riding, it is a suit made of Dainese's D-Stone fabric.
Monza 1 pc for track.

Although they are all in size 50, all 3 suits fits differently, gernerally the 2pc suits are rommier than the 1pc in design, so the T-Age is roomy and comfortable in walking position, the Tobruk is snug (D-stone is a stretchy material) and the Monza is a little too tight in certain sections even in riding positions.

I have been down in all 3 suits, once in both 2 pcs suits and several times in the Monza and have escaped injuries everytime.

The T-Age protected my knee cap from shattering from the edge of a suddenly opened car door while I was splitting lane (@7MPH), the traffic was stopped and the guy opened the door in the middle of the road to spit just after my handle bar past his door, the metal edge caught the frame slider and my right knee. I went down, the bike was slightly damaged and I had a mild concussion from hitting my head behind the L. ear on the pavement (helmet: Arai RX7 Corsair), had a nasty bruse on the knee but otherwise unhurt, I was able to ride home but he had to rent a car and have his Range Rover towed because the door wouldn't close!!!! :loser: bike1/car 0, the moron deserved it, that was my one and only crash on the streets. the T'age had nearly no visible damage from it.

the Tobruk is an interesting suit, it is tough but IMO not as tough as Dainese think it is, the problems is that it is synthetic and MELTS when you slide far/fast enough, the damage (area over the hard armor) from the 30 mph lowside on the track looked more like a burn than abrassion, however I must say other areas also in contact with the ground (not over the hard armor) look remarkbly unaffected (compared to leather).

The Monza has been in a few more crashes and is looking a bit used-up, all the fancy cosmetic leather work on the sleeves and back (devil head patches and Dainese lettering are peeling off) but like I said, no injuries from the lowside crashes (20-40mph) and the suit is in good working condition, no opened seams.

I gotta go to bed, Alvin, GN.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
777 said:
*tangent: Ordered a MV 1piece (in black) from MV Special Parts. The suit came in last week and I thought the quality was excellent. Unfortunately they sent the wrong size and im waiting for my correct suit. Pricey but to me it looks worth it after finally seeing it in the flesh. I really liked how it had something that resembled pucks on the elbows in addition to the elbow armor. Not to mention the MV brand all over and a huge MV logo on the back. Something to consider (you probably already have).
Not really keen on the MV leathers, not quite as stylish as their actual bikes...and not a fan of the MV logo all over my body....the bike is enough ...and I want perfarated leather as well.

I just won a set of RG3's on Ebay, so the suit will have to wait a while :laughing: :conveyer:
My Spidi suit can do another year.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Velocemoto said:
Not really keen on the MV leathers, not quite as stylish as their actual bikes...and not a fan of the MV logo all over my body....the bike is enough ...and I want perfarated leather as well.

I just won a set of RG3's on Ebay, so the suit will have to wait a while :laughing: :conveyer:
My Spidi suit can do another year.
you've been hanging around Ducati guys too much, they're gonna laugh at ya arent they!

(j/k, whatever floats your yacht mate. I thought the suit was great and Im a huge critic of quality.)

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
odonata said:
Have you considered custom suits from a reputable local maker? Although the Dainese suits have served me well, the fit is just not 100% perfect, so I have been wondering what it will be like to have a suit that the cuffs are the right size for my wrist and ankel, the knee and elbow armors are in just the right place and no hot spots from extra material etc... so I think I will try Z leathers ( http://www.zcustom.com/ ) for my next suit, I have heard great things about their product and I have also been to their shop, their suits are very well made and looks much better in person; FYI their site is hopelessly outdated. their standard suit designs doesn't do a thing for me, so for sure I will make my own design, or maybe a copy of one of Dainese's design like the Talos IV ... the newer Bora and Sukhoi are a bit too "busy" for me.
i highly recommend z. they worked perfectly during my high-speed get-off at willow springs (turn 1 - ouch!). they were able to repair the suit and i still use it today.

alex

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
i highly recommend z. they worked perfectly during my high-speed get-off at willow springs (turn 1 - ouch!). they were able to repair the suit and i still use it today.
Thanks, yeah... my brother has a set from them too.

My Dainese suits by most people's standard fits me just fine but I am looking forward to find out what a perfectly tailored set of leather will feel like.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Alpinestars kit is very popular here in the UK. Many of my friends have A/S leathers and the boots sell like hot cakes. I have currently have Furygan leathers myself which are without doubt the best set I've ever owned. The leather is soft and supple and the armour is light and not too bulky. They weren't cheap but then quality gear never is. :)

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
777 said:
you've been hanging around Ducati guys too much, they're gonna laugh at ya arent they!
QUOTE]

I dont get this ??...they're gonna laugh at who, and why ??

Good leathers with good protection at a reasonable price float my boat...
I'll leave the "showpony, overpriced, look what I ride items" to you :stickpoke J/K

Get the before and after videos of the RG3 sound for us!
Will do Alvin.. :naughty:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
No use trying to hide it, we know your so concerned about the barbs and taunts from your "so called" Ducati riding friends about sporting the MV logo that this could be the only possible reason for not wanting to wear those god awful leathers.

·
Registered
124 Posts
for the track I have Z-custom suit.. man saved my bacon on a getoff on My 929... and they are great people to deal with. Not sure of some of their leathers but I have had a Joe Rocket Ballistic suit for 4 yrs now with tons of miles and all kinds of weather for my sport touring... I was looking at a Teknic 2 peice for the MV

·
Registered
593 Posts
My Alpinestars 1pc has "Alpinestars" all over it. Every suit has writing all over it. Im proud to promote the MV brand. Saving money and MV dont go in the same sentance. I wouldnt buy the suit if it wasnt top quality, nor would MV SP sell it if it wasnt. To each their own. Just offering my opinion on it. A* are good suits too.

(For the record, I think the red MV suit looks like ass, the black is the one I like :later: )

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rockethouse said:
No use trying to hide it, we know your so concerned about the barbs and taunts from your "so called" Ducati riding friends about sporting the MV logo that this could be the only possible reason for not wanting to wear those god awful leathers.
hehe....My so called Ducati friends already call me "hollywood" because of the Carboned up MV and my full race suit....the full MV leathers would tip them over the edge... :laughing:

My Alpinestars 1pc has "Alpinestars" all over it. Every suit has writing all over it. Im proud to promote the MV brand. Saving money and MV dont go in the same sentance. I wouldnt buy the suit if it wasnt top quality, nor would MV SP sell it if it wasnt. To each their own. Just offering my opinion on it. A* are good suits too.
For the record, I think the red MV suit looks like ass, the black is the one I like
Yeah, it's always a hard choice....I thought that new AS suit was kinda restrained for them, and it was perferrated as well which is what i need for the track..., that's what drew me to it....and yes, the Black MY suit is much nicer than the red. :)

I actually believe the MV motorcycle range represents good value for money..i really do....but it's when you get into their accessories, special parts and clothing they lose the plot...
I think you can find great alternatives at a fraction of the cost, sometimes of superior functionality and quality, but there's not a bike on the planet that could replace an F4 or Brutale for what they deliver.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts