MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
You're not wrong bud. I feel endangered enough in my car after an oblivious (using cell phone) lady ran a red light and t-boned me and my s/o at 50 mph in the dead of night. My s/o spent 3 weeks in Intensive Care Unit at the hospital, but we escaped with our lives because the other car hit our engine block. If we had been 3 feet further into the intersection I probably would've been a comatose pancake. A motorcycle situation would've been amplified exponentially. It was a brutal reminder that you can do everything right, it just takes one moron to destroy your life. Wear your gear and get good insurance (a helmet cam wouldnt hurt too).

I constantly look at other drivers when I pass them or if they're driving is a bit off, and I wouldn't be lying if I said a good 25% of them are staring into their crotches at any given moment. It's basically like being a drunk driver.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Smart phone use in cars is a scourge. Here in the UK getting caught using a phone in a car if not using a hands free system is an automatic 12 month driving ban and 6 points, but people still do it in droves, so the deterrent isn't sufficient. Personally, I think it should be a 5 year ban with an extended test required to get the driving licence back, that might make people think twice about sending that oh so urgent text, or updating their twatter!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just an update on my pals accident and a lesson to be learnt, it seems he had an un-diagnosed heart condition and it chose this time to rear its head and create a problem which explains him veering into the path of the oncoming car which was being driven by a 19yr old girl God knows what she thought as he careered into her but at least I know now he was not going crazy and it makes the tragedy a little softer.

The lesson ? Don't always believe the first account of the cause as the details bear out a different outcome.

My apologies to the driver for assuming from the info that first came out that she must have been to blame as it transpires she was not.

God Bless Pete ride in Heaven Mate.

·
Super Moderator
2,591 Posts
That's a little softer, but also a little sadder for the driver @AgustaRod - quite traumatic for all involved and especially a young driver with limited life experience. :(

RIP Pete

Reactions: AgustaRod

·
Super Moderator
22,736 Posts
At least he went out doing something he enjoyed. Hopefully the young driver isn't too hurt or traumatised.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I doubt I have much to add, as previous replies are superb. Two years ago, my brother in law, here in Texas was killed while riding a small Honda scooter. He was an expert motorcycle rider with a Kawasaki touring bike and Honda Gold wing and decades of experience. He low sided on gravel, had on a crappy half helmet, and died of head injuries.

Both his sons, my nephews, both riders: both quit riding. The event shook me up. But, I got back on my Moto Guzzi, then my MV and kept riding. I am 66 years old, and retired. I find motorcycles help keep me happy, physically sharp and fill a life long need for (fill in the blank).

I will know when it is time to quit riding. We also have horrid drivers here on the Gulf Coast of Texas. I am very focused and relaxed while riding, avoid the worst intersections, and let the racers keep it on the track.

Bicycle riding, to me, is equally or more hazardous as riding a motorcycle. I ride my bicycle a lot to keep in shape.

Life is full of risk. But, I choose to mitigate risk best I can.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
To add to lucydad's post... if I may... having quality equipment reflective of given circumstances and riding within our capabilities helps with safety and enjoyment, whether on a bicycle or moto. Sharing and learning from each other is vital in this often too fast world-at-large. Stay safe and healthy everyone.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just to let you all know I cannot part with the MV she is to pretty and my svengali (female version) the honda and cagiva can go but the MV NNnnnoo.

I will ride still and choose my moments like 6.00am to 10.00am it seems the safest time no one around thanks for all the replies but as lucydad says it does fill a space and at 62 coming up I have alot to look forward to

Keep it sunnyside up

Reactions: Edward

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just to let you all know I cannot part with the MV she is to pretty and my svengali (female version) the honda and cagiva can go but the MV NNnnnoo.

I will ride still and choose my moments like 6.00am to 10.00am it seems the safest time no one around thanks for all the replies but as lucydad says it does fill a space and at 62 coming up I have alot to look forward to

Keep it sunnyside up
I was working my exhaust valve issue this morning on my gorgeous yellow/black Dragster RR. Damn she is pretty, and so much fun to ride! Luckily my health is excellent. I will add: a BIG motivation I have for stretching, lifting weights, walking a lot, bicycling and keeping my weight down: allows me to safely ride motorcycles. Fortunately my coordination is still excellent, and vision. My small hands are an issue, and I have some carpal syndrome. Advil helps. Anyway, even a short ride (50 miles) is a huge stress buster for me. When I can't ride a bike, I will likely end up with a Porsche, or other hot rod car with a manual transmission. I do own a convertible Miata with six speed: fun, but nothing like the MV blowing through the gears using the quick shifter...Veloce!!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts