MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have them? Which do you use? Some look good..... some look downright cheap and useless. I don't want a bullhorn siren, I'm looking for tilt sensored ignition killing alarms. . . .

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
Dont Do it,

Datatool alarms are much more trouble than they are worth, had them fitted to both the EV03 and 312R, both a pain in the ass

If you can possibly get insurance without also having an alarm installed, go for it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Avoid them if possible, & use something like a Xena alarmed disclock instead. If you must have an alarm, be aware that it's not uncommon for the related disturbance of the wiring loom to lead to many blown main fuses. The loom has a weep hole to let water out, & if that hole isn't left pointing in the right direction (which it often isn't after fitting an alarm), water collects, leading to problems.

The good thing about the official MV Datatool is it is quite easy to remove in a hotel carpark in the south of France when it fcuks up...

·
Administrator
18,847 Posts
I have the MV Corse system (manufactured by Cobra). No problems after nearly 12000 miles. Adjustable motion sensor, sensor on rear seat that sets it off if someone tries to get at it to disable, passive immobilizer (sets itself shortly after you turn off the ignition and will set off alarm if someone tries to start it without the key fob). Clean direct factory wiring connections.

Only problem is I don't think they are available anymore.

Hey, and I had an '85 Alfa GT-V6...great car, wish i still had it today.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems to be the norm... 'lets stop making good products so douches can make crappy ones'... I'm stubborn though, so I'm going to hold my breath until I figure something out.

I'm in the states, so I don't have to worry about not getting insurance on a bike with no alarm.

Esqz'me... I love my GTV6, i just rebuilt a 3.0 and dropped her in last fall... (seems like a while because i'll be returning from deployment shortly) I can't wait to run all the TOYS!

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Check out a few old threads here on the site re alarms. I'm with Roy, even though I do have a datatool 4 alarm on my 1000S which (to date) hasn't caused problems, I have no alarm on my Duke and that's the way it's staying. They are great until they go wrong then you wish you never fitted the bloody thing.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think the cheap alarms are rubbish. I have a Laserline cat1 fitted to the MV and no problems so far and a lifetime warrenty! I've a Laserline 860 (cat1) on my R1 since it was new in 1998 and its still good now. No flat batteries or non start, false alarm issues. Even had one on RS250 aprillia in 95 and never had a problem in 3 years.
Buy quality and buy once

Clive

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good, I just don't seem to see a place in the states... :(

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts