MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I wanted to get a survey going on what alarms MV owners are using (if any) and to rate there satisfaction with that alarm.

So if you dont mind.. please let me know the following for each bike you have an alarm on:

1) Alarm make and model
2) Alarm options purchased
3) Has it actually saved your bike that you know of?
4) Would you recommend it?.. if not then what would you recommend?
5) You have any advice in this area?
6) Any interesting stories related to alarms?

I didnt want to put up a list of alarms so as to not discourage owners of alarms im unaware of.

Thanks!

·
Registered
337 Posts
i just installed the new Scorpio SR-I500W on my Mv last week. I purchased the battery backup, perimeter sensor and the ignition disable feature. I had the old version of this alarm on my Busa and it did save me once when I was in this chicks house and some kids were messing with the bike....i received a page and was able to look out on the balconey to see them messing with it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I love scorpio all the bikes I have had I installed it in.I really like it for the very reason solo said about the page. I like that I can go in somewhere park my bike and know if my alarm goes off. A few times I have gone down to myrtle beach SC to meet friends. We usally stay in crappy hotels. Having the alarm with the permiter sensor made it really easy for me to know it was safe. I hate and love the remote because of the paging system. Very easy to install and very loud. Solo does yours ever run your battery down? I think mine has a few times but other han that its perfect.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I've never alarm any of my bikes - its completely insured.

Just a side note, but does bike alarms have some sort of tamper switch or microswitch triggers? Its so easy to strip the fairing off the bike its not funny.

I would hate to loose an expensive carbon fibre panel or in that matter any panels.

·
Registered
337 Posts
jcctx-i have the new system which has the Lith. Battery in it instead of the AAA. This is a great new feature you just plug up to the recharger when the battery gets low. I have been able to go a couple of weeks without charging.

minime-you do not have the same pre-mature triggers because the perimeter sensor is completely adjustable. Uses microwave technology to detect mass around the bike....another reason you don't have pre-mature triggers....if the bike gets tilted that is another triggered by another sensor....and u pretty uch have to grab the bars and lift the bike adbrutly to one side to trigger.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
solo said:
jcctx-i have the new system which has the Lith. Battery in it instead of the AAA. This is a great new feature you just plug up to the recharger when the battery gets low. I have been able to go a couple of weeks without charging.

minime-you do not have the same pre-mature triggers because the perimeter sensor is completely adjustable. Uses microwave technology to detect mass around the bike....another reason you don't have pre-mature triggers....if the bike gets tilted that is another triggered by another sensor....and u pretty uch have to grab the bars and lift the bike adbrutly to one side to trigger.
Do you have the Scorpion? I didnt catch which alarm you are referring to that you have.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Datatool Stealth Evo alarm/immobiliser. includes anti-tamper microswitches, movement sensor, electric circuit monitoring. Impossible to switch the alarm off, so includes a "service mode". (To meet a higher standard for insurance approval purposes.)

I don't think Datatool sell in the US, though they did offer to ship me one for my Ducati when I lived in Canada. (Beware of different remote frequency bands if buying from abroad. It could potentially be a problem.)

It's pretty much impossible to find insurance for a top insurance bracket bike in the UK without an approved alarm, and you get a discount for having one fitted to any bike.

I also have a ground anchor in my garage that I chain the bikes to, (using insurance approved chains), garage door deadbolts and a garage alarm with proximity and door sensors.

Si

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
1. Phatom Tracker http://www.phantomtracking.com/Store/tmpl/full8ee3.html?body=home
2. Standard features
3. No
4. No, unless they can fix the amount of current it draws while in "sleep" mode. As it stands now, this thing will drain my battery in less than 24 hrs to the point that I can't start the bike.
5. This is a good concept, but it's expensive, and needs some fine tuning to work properly on the MV.
6. One time, I forgot to disarm it, and rode the bike home from work. When I got home, the tracking center called me and said "Well, we can see that you're home now. Could you please call us at XXX-XXX-XXXX just to let us know that everything is OK." I thought that was pretty funny.

Alex

·
Registered
337 Posts
netizen said:
Do you have the Scorpion? I didnt catch which alarm you are referring to that you have.
Sorry about that...its the Scorpio SRW-i500...the W indicates the latest model with the rechargable key fob.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hi i ive got the new 910R with a datatool 3 fitted, seems fine ,when fueling pain waiting for main alarm to arm then swich to movement off mode thats about it,iam in uk and had big problem with insurance,but i think it was one of the first ,no one would touch it ,the alarm made no difference to the price,but more peace of mind that if anyone messed with it you will hear about it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
when fueling pain waiting for main alarm to arm then swich to movement off mode
That should be installer adjustable. My Stealth Evo can be wired to activate the movement sensor alarm when the thing auto-arms, or movement sensor is disabled as standard but activated by pressing the triangle. (As mine's set up.) So it doesn't cause me problems when I'm fuelling.

had big problem with insurance
I got my 1999 748 and 2000 MV F4-750 for £357 fully-comp through Bennetts multi-bike. (35 years old and 12 years no claims though, which helps.)

Si

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I've got the Datatool system 4 on my bike. I have to say it's OK when you get used to the auto arm and all that stuff. As regulars will know from earlier threads, I have an alarm purely to save me money on the insurance. A big chain and padlock with a hungry rottweiller thrown in would be my preferred theft deterent! :eek:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Ive got the MV alarm that came with the Gladio kit. Its pretty sensitive, if you touch the bike or sit on it or move it, it goes off. I dont think an audible alarm does much good anymore, as people have become numb to the sound. If someone wants to steal your bike bad enough, they are going to get it. The audible alarms only keep the amatures away.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The most annoying thing I've found about the F4 so far is that there's nowhere you can pass a thick chain through to secure it properly. Either wheel can be removed and replaced from ebay easily enough. My 748 I pass the chain through the frame behind the engine and through my ground anchor. For the MV I have to use a good u-lock through the rear hub and put the chain through that.

Si

·
Registered
785 Posts
One of the early F4s we have has an Datatool Evo2 system installed, works well has been installed since 2000, the only fault we found, occasionally when riding in the wet and parking up the alarm would go off non stop, so it would need disarming and drying off for a few hours before re-using the alarm (can be annoying).

The other F4 has a Datatool system4 which will be installed soon, from experience they work well, pretty loud compared to the old Evo2 alarm and a few more added features.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'm going to replace my Veto Evo with a System 4 in the near future. Talking to an MV dealer, it looks like my starting problem of a week ago was down to the alarm not releasing the starter circuit via relay upon disarmament. They've seen that a few times before with Veto's and other Datatools as they get older.

Si

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
If I put an alarm on mine I would use a simple kit that kept everything separate to the bikes electrics. One solution would be to have a position sensor switch so if your bike becomes completely vertical when the switch is in the alarm position it goes off.

Everything can be purchased at an electronics store and power is from a small 9v battery!

I would never cut into the electronics/electrics on my MV I have heard of so many problems!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
how long will a 9v battery be good for?
I have to agree that no cutting is ideal.. but.. doesn't sound realistic.
I guess you really dont need the lights to be blinking since they are so small anyway.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Take a smoke alarm in a house for instance sometimes uses a 9v battery lasts (sounding wise) with electronic circuitry for ages.

My biggest issue is somebody will steal it when it is parked in my open garage overnight, I bolt it down and have movement sensors on the house, but to me it would be a simple deterrent!

I used to teach in a boarding school in Melbourne Victoria and this science teacher and I put them on (concealed) the girls dormitory windows so they would go off if they opened them at night time on their way to meet up with the boys!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts