MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was replacing the trim panels which cover the throttle body bypass screws I noticed that the right side rear screw would not tighten. i pulled the screw out to find that the wellnut rubber had broken and the nut had fallen into the airbox. Is there any way that this nut could find its way into the throttle body and into the cylinder?

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Yup!!! Do a search. This horse had been beaten to death for the better part of a decade. I'll wait for Noel to jump in and post a link for you. But whatever you do. Don't touch your throttle. You don't want the butterfly to open and the wellnut to fall into the intake.

·
Super Moderator
22,314 Posts
Yup, carefully take off your airbox and retrieve the missing brass knurl.
As Joe said, DO NOT TOUCH YOUR THROTTLE!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ouch, as Riley said, "what a revoltin' development this is". I suspected as much. I wonder if I could somehow suspend the fuel tank to remove the airbox or will I have to completely remove it to get the airbox out?

By the way, thanks for the quick replies.

·
Super Moderator
22,314 Posts
The fuel tank is easily removed, as is the air box.
Down load the manual from Donsy's site and get busy. You'll be all set in an hour.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Now is not the time to cut corners. Remove the tank. Remove the airbox. Get that wellnut out.

While you have your tank off. Inspect the fuel hoses, maybe even pull the pump and replace the fuel filter and inspect the submersible fuel hoses inside your tank.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
If you're going to pull your pump, order a spare pump plate gasket... or five.

·
Vendor
5,330 Posts
Ouch, as Riley said, "what a revoltin' development this is". I suspected as much. I wonder if I could somehow suspend the fuel tank to remove the airbox or will I have to completely remove it to get the airbox out?

By the way, thanks for the quick replies.
Replace the wellnuts with Rivnuts and they are there for life with no risk of engine damage.:)

·
Registered
14,490 Posts
Don't touch your throttle. You don't want the butterfly to open and the wellnut to fall into the intake.
as previously stated you MUST replace the REAR wellnuts with M4 Rivnuts.......

the brass POS from the Wellnut can cause catastrophic engine failure:jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm:

service your fuel tank while you have it off the fuel filter is available at the auto parts store I use a Wix #33012

the rivnuts and O-rings are available here;
http://www.mvagustauk.net/forum/showthread.php?21-rivnuts-and-O-rings&p=48#post48

Donsy has pictures in one of his stickys

·
Super Moderator
22,314 Posts
So, KK....what did you do here?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have to confess that it got put on the back burner due to other stuff. Any time I have for motorcycling has been done on the Beemer. I did start tonight. The bolt holding the ignition cover is so tight that I think it is going to break. Precision assembly my ass.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is a 2007 F4 1000R that i purchased last fall with 1570 miles. Has about 2500 on now. I doubt that it has seen rain.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Where are you located? It might be possible to loan you the tools to install the aluminum rivnuts to eliminate the problem once and for all. Depends on your location.

Eric

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally got the thing torn apart today. Good thing I didn't twist the throttle as part of the wellnut was sitting on the throttle plate and that cylinder was on the intake stroke with the intakes wide open. Whew! I got a 10 24 wellnut from Lowes hoping that might put the bike back on the road, but it is too large and I am not about to butcher the airbox. It is difficult to source parts out in the sticks in PA.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts