MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just saw this... just remember to detach yourself from the bike before you walk away! :laughing:

IXS Stunt
the motorcycle jacket with airbag

The airbag, which has been proved to be the most effective safety system for road users, has only been available to car drivers up to now. The IXS STUNT jacket now also enables motorcyclists to enjoy the added safety offered by an airbag: The airbag, an integral part of the jacket, is triggered by means of a ripcord attached to the motorcycle. The trigger mechanism activates a CO2 cartridge, inflating the airbag within 0.8 seconds. The activated airbag protects the motorcyclist's neck, spine, collarbone and breastbone as well as the kidney region and coccyx

Respond to changes in the weather

In summer this jacket can be worn without a membrane. Thanks to the excellent breathability of the outer material which ensures unrestricted wearer comfort even in hot conditions, you need not forego the safety offered by the airbag and protectors. If the weather turns wet or cold, the membrane and if necessary, the thermal lining, can be added.

The rip-cord is attached to the
motorcycle betweeen seat and tank

http://www.ixs.ch/en/airbag-e.htm

Attachments

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Flaming said:
Advanced? :laughing:

Spidi did it 5 years ago...

http://www.spidi.it/spidi-jsp/products.jsp?articolo=AIRBAG DPS 03&page=products&id=654
Flaming, your links for Spidi(both the Wind Pro and this jacket) don't work... BTW I can't seem to find anyone to answer me about the backpack here in the US.

I know that IXS have had this jacket for at least the past 3 years, Dainese has also experimented with the idea... a while ago there was a picture of Biaggi wearing one (fully inflated) at a bike show somewhere, looking rather silly.

Has any company publish their tested/studied for this idea?? I wonder if it actually works to protect the rider.

perhaps one day riders will look like this when they have a get-off :laughing: :laughing:

Attachments

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
I thought these had been out for a while:

http://www.hit-air.com/english/main.html

The guy first started selling in 1999:

http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/24/magazines/business2/softeningcrashlanding/index.htm

Friend of mine has one here. It doesn't look too bad. There is a demo video at the store I normally go to for gear as well. The idea is pretty good, it protects on impact for when you go flying. You can recharge the CO2 cannister as well which is good.

If you search for "Hit Air" you can find various exporters in different countries to get it....

-colin

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
oh yeah, you have to be careful not to become the Michelin Man if you don't disconnect on your dismount, trying to be cool.... :eek:

(actually, i've heard it takes a decent amount of pressure to set it off, so this may not really be the case....)

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
TokyoLunch said:
oh yeah, you have to be careful not to become the Michelin Man if you don't disconnect on your dismount, trying to be cool.... :eek:

(actually, i've heard it takes a decent amount of pressure to set it off, so this may not really be the case....)
I wonder if it will keep you afloat when you land in the water during a get-off? :naughty:

·
Registered
77 Posts
ok i was looking for some good mv jackets and HAD to coment on this
its one of those things that looks good to engineers on paper ... but practical ??? or effective ?!?!?!? i mean think about it for just a second gents... how hi does the PSI have to be to keep your body mass suspended and not smacking into the car that’s moving 40 mph or even as low as 20MPH ?!?!? i wager that if you can compress the suit enough with your fingers to the point where you can touch your body a car is going to push allot harder ... and im sure some one will say "but the load will be spread " well except when the corner of the bumper hits you first .. or your mirror as you go over the bars ... or the mirrors on the car ... or the curb ... or your shoulder contacting the ground first ... now i know there is math for this .. so please some one come up with useful data ... lol ....im sure you will all be pleasantly surprised that its a gimmick.... and this is coming from an engineer ;)
the idea is reminiscing of trying to change the oil on an old 50s American car only to find out that the damn thing was designed so that you have to remove the engine to get to the oil filter .... it looks good to the producers and engineers because it may save 100$ a car to locate the filter in such a crapy spot, but is ridiculous to any one actually working on the thing ... and one other thing ... at least the "filter" in my analogy works in real life...  take it easy gents

1 - 13 of 13 Posts