MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I think this is a pretty cool idea Ackers.
Think about riding over sunny mountain roads and dive into a tunnel.
With a switch on a button You are able to see something without flipping up the visor and exposing Your eyes to debris or insects.
Further You can switch from clear to light and dark tinted.
Dark will last 12h, light 50h and without power it will be clear.
Sure the price is hefty but buy a clear, light and dark tinted OEM visor and You will spend as much.

·
Super Moderator
23,110 Posts
Come on Arai! You are lagging the game!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point Haupti, I was thinking of getting a new helmet but I might wait? Depends how an AGV fits me though, never tried one before.

I guess a lot of manufacturers are going down the flip down internal dark visor, as usual Arai have bucked the trend with a complicated external tinted visor system?

·
Super Moderator
23,110 Posts
The internal visor is a safety hazard. If you have a helmet impact, those internal visors can do some facial damage...especially if your helmet is poorly fitted.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I believe some tracks won't allow the internal visors as well. DOT approved but not Snell or some such downfall.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Almost makes me want to buy another new helmet.
I was only looking at helmets last week, might have to try out an AGV to see how they fit ;) I won't be buying a Pista GP though at £900!!!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just bought a k5 which will be one of the new MV lids, this has the integrated visor, acu gold and EC approval so can be used for trackdays etc...

The veloce is a really nice lid, very light and a very small shell basically a budget corsa/pista. The shells are oval so if you have a round head it wont fit.

I have an aria RX7 also but the agv is a some respects is a better lid, comfortable quitter and doesn't try and pull your head off.

I'm a bit disappointed with aria as they haven't changed the shell design for years the visor is a pain (even if you know how to get it off) and they don't perform that well in the crash tests. The only concession to unfaired bikes is a moulded spoiler on the Rebel.

The cost difference in the UK is in the import duty still no VAT on lids but .gov charge up to 44% on some items! so you cant compare quality with cost.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure what shape my head is but at the moment I have an Arai Chaser and I think it's the most comfortable I've owned. I had a shark before and a couple Shoei's before that. The Shark used to press on my forehead after a while wearing it and I always thought my Shoei's were fine but if I wear it now I get the same pressure?
I've had my Arai for 3.5 years now and the visor is still a pain in the arse, not only the changing mechanism but also the stupid lock/clasp thing on the side, mines broken off on both my clear and dark visor :(

I read on MCN that they were told by AGV that they would be offering the visor for a fairly substantial discount offer on launch? So I guess we'll have to wait and see?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll definitely have to try it first, for one it's not the whole visor, more like a pinlock but a bit bigger so there will be some light leak around the edges especially to each side then I also saw a shot of it on MCN's website and it really didn't look that dark, more like a light smoke.

If you check out their site they have a veloce with it fitted (skip the first two pictures as they are just a smoked visor, the tell tail being the AGVisor doesn't have any pinlock pins in it)

http://www.agv.com/gb/agv/SPORT TOURING/GT.VELOCE/MATT BLACK

·
Registered
67 Posts
they need to integrate the button some how?

I've worn Arai's since 96, but bought an agv for the winter and rarely where them now.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I saw that Shoei has a self darkening visor for the RF-1200 similar to self darkening glasses. Not sure how effectively it functions.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I saw that Shoei has a self darkening visor for the RF-1200 similar to self darkening glasses. Not sure how effectively it functions.
I don't know if You wear glasses but believe me those automatically darkening and brightening lenses take quite a long time.
If this is at the Shoei visor the same than You dive into the tunnel with a dark shade and come out of the tunnel just by the time it gets clear.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I was wondering if that would be an issue, plus you'd never get through the work day under the fluorescents ;)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Bell also makes a transition visor. From what people have said, they are OK if you are staying in that direct light for an extended period. If you are going through the mountain or trees, it will not adjust in time to really prevent the glare or direct sunlight. I'm sticking with clear or tinted until they can improve that transition time.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Hi Alers is the uk MV forum still running can't seem to log onto the site says it's not avalable thanks Ali bongo
There's a thread on this in Lee's Kitchen Sink.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts