MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

I have been thinking for a while what the ideal sister bike to my Ducati MH900e should be, but this weekend fate seems to have taken over.

I have just purchased a rather sad Ago – mainly because I didn’t want something (potentially) so beautiful and special to be broken up for spares! I now look forward to a full restoration to “better than new” condition over the winter, in preparation for an awaking in spring.

The bike sadly is well beyond economical repair with new parts, so I am going to have to buy and break a perfectly good 750 to make this remotely feasible – and even then its going to be more expensive than buying one second hand. But its about saving something special, not the money.

Anyway, I intend to post a few updates and pictures of the process along the way, hopefully you guys will find it interesting. I’ll also be advertising the parts for the 750 I part out and hopefully you guys will buy some bits and pieces and help me along. What is the best way to do this do you think?

I will also be asking for some help along the way – not cash, don’t worry. Rather I would like to get in contact with some other Ago members to check some details of how things should look, etc. Also, I will be searching for reasonably priced parts. On the current critical list is a new front Marchesini wheel (or set of fronts and back actually) and clocks (especially one for the Ago – or even a Ago clock face).

Here’s hoping it all works out!!!!!

Cheers
Dave

PS I can't get the pictures to download as they are too big 50kb - how do I get around this?

·
Registered
785 Posts
deimh said:
Guys

I have been thinking for a while what the ideal sister bike to my Ducati MH900e should be, but this weekend fate seems to have taken over.

I have just purchased a rather sad Ago – mainly because I didn’t want something (potentially) so beautiful and special to be broken up for spares! I now look forward to a full restoration to “better than new” condition over the winter, in preparation for an awaking in spring.

The bike sadly is well beyond economical repair with new parts, so I am going to have to buy and break a perfectly good 750 to make this remotely feasible – and even then its going to be more expensive than buying one second hand. But its about saving something special, not the money.

Anyway, I intend to post a few updates and pictures of the process along the way, hopefully you guys will find it interesting. I’ll also be advertising the parts for the 750 I part out and hopefully you guys will buy some bits and pieces and help me along. What is the best way to do this do you think?

I will also be asking for some help along the way – not cash, don’t worry. Rather I would like to get in contact with some other Ago members to check some details of how things should look, etc. Also, I will be searching for reasonably priced parts. On the current critical list is a new front Marchesini wheel (or set of fronts and back actually) and clocks (especially one for the Ago – or even a Ago clock face).

Here’s hoping it all works out!!!!!

Cheers
Dave

PS I can't get the pictures to download as they are too big 50kb - how do I get around this?

Great stuff, wish you the best of luck.

Regarding the Marchesini's we have just started to stock these and will be running a special offer from tomorrow, price will be the best available.

Let us know if this is of interest!

Cheers.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Feel free to ask me any questions you like about the AGO that don't require major disassembly to answer! Mine, no. 178, will be on the stand for the winter shortly. I am happy to take pictures or whatever to show you how it should look!

·
Registered
328 Posts
ApparitionAGO said:
Feel free to ask me any questions you like about the AGO that don't require major disassembly to answer! Mine, no. 178, will be on the stand for the winter shortly. I am happy to take pictures or whatever to show you how it should look!
I wish you the best of luck, but I think a 750 is special too and its sad that you must sacrifice one to save the other!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ApparitionAGO said:
Thanks, that's very kind of you!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
psperl said:
I wish you the best of luck, but I think a 750 is special too and its sad that you must sacrifice one to save the other!
I agree, I also love them all!

It is very sad, but I just don't see another way forward - although I'm open to suggestions....

·
Registered
328 Posts
deimh said:
I agree, I also love them all!

It is very sad, but I just don't see another way forward - although I'm open to suggestions....
Well, the only other option I can think of is to buy the parts like you mentioned, and as we all know, MV dealers are bloodthirsty bastards. I paid 80 bucks for a clutch lever!!!!! Thanks to drmasis I was able to save 300 bones on the belly pan, but in general, I dread having to buy parts for this thing.

emoto has some affordable fiberglass bodywork, but some people want OEM parts.

What exactly does the bike need? Do you have photos?!?!

Also, I thought AGO's were 1000's. I'm assuming this is a 750 AGO or else buying a 750 for parts wouldn't really make sense since the engine, front end, and a bunch of other stuff are different.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
psperl said:
Well, the only other option I can think of is to buy the parts like you mentioned, and as we all know, MV dealers are bloodthirsty bastards. I paid 80 bucks for a clutch lever!!!!! Thanks to drmasis I was able to save 300 bones on the belly pan, but in general, I dread having to buy parts for this thing.

emoto has some affordable fiberglass bodywork, but some people want OEM parts.

What exactly does the bike need? Do you have photos?!?!

Also, I thought AGO's were 1000's. I'm assuming this is a 750 AGO or else buying a 750 for parts wouldn't really make sense since the engine, front end, and a bunch of other stuff are different.
The 750 is sporting 1000S forks (gold nitrided same as the Ago), triple clamps, clip-ons, wheels and body work. This is because the previous owner had made it into a Tambo replica (including uprated forks and CF bodywork) and when he bought a 10)0S wanted to have all the Tambo stuff (and his uprated forks) transferred from the 750 to the 1000S. Hence the new 1000S forks, tripple clamps, clip-ons, body work and wheels were put on the 750 - strange but true!

As I only need the front end (forks, triples, dash, etc.) this works out brillantly. Obviously I will need to get a correct front wheel and change the rev counter face, etc. but I beleive that it should work out fine.

PS I have pictures, but they are too big to download - I will try and sort something.

·
Registered
328 Posts
deimh said:
The 750 is sporting 1000S forks (gold nitrided same as the Ago), triple clamps, clip-ons, wheels and body work. This is because the previous owner had made it into a Tambo replica (including uprated forks and CF bodywork) and when he bought a 10)0S wanted to have all the Tambo stuff (and his uprated forks) transferred from the 750 to the 1000S. Hence the new 1000S forks, tripple clamps, clip-ons, body work and wheels were put on the 750 - strange but true!

As I only need the front end (forks, triples, dash, etc.) this works out brillantly. Obviously I will need to get a correct front wheel and change the rev counter face, etc. but I beleive that it should work out fine.

PS I have pictures, but they are too big to download - I will try and sort something.

http://www.imageshack.us/

1.5MB image limit.

And if your pics are bigger than 1.5 MB, that makes me want to see them even more.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I've read that the cluster is somehow matched to the computer box. There must be a way around it, but something to consider when trying to get the bike back up and running.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
You need to be a little carefull here, the bike must be "on the list" as a Cat C? even when you have finished it, It will only ever be worth the same price as a original one minus 20%, which I suppose is only right really, It's not this one is it?

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
eMoto UK said:
Great stuff, wish you the best of luck.

Regarding the Marchesini's we have just started to stock these and will be running a special offer from tomorrow, price will be the best available.

Let us know if this is of interest!

Cheers.
I would be interested in upgrading my rims to these Marchesini's. Could you give me the price and part number you have on this special? Anyone interested in my star rims if I do upgrade?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mikef4uk said:
It's not this one is it?

Thanks for helping out and posting a picture - now why couldn't I do that, damn technophobe!

Do you still have the wheels you were selling by the way???!!!

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
deimh said:
Thanks for helping out and posting a picture - now why couldn't I do that, damn technophobe!

Do you still have the wheels you were selling by the way???!!!
Nah, they went a while back now, they're also the wrong colour for an AGO, the AGO one's have a nice gold'y tint to them. Are you sure the one's on it are trashed? There's an awfull lot of work here I think :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mikef4uk said:
Are you sure the one's on it are trashed? There's an awfull lot of work here I think :confused:
The rear seems OK, although it will need some work and repainting where some idiot has marked it (almost definately done after the crash :banghead: )

The first picture shows where the front wheel has been flattened on the LHS, strangely the RHS of the wheel seems largely OK. I'm not sure you could rework the front wheel to safely fix it - any thoughts?

I have been thinking about the previous owner, worried exactly what became of him. With a little detective work I've found out who he is (not was fortunately). Seems he swerved to miss a dog that led to the smash. The good news is that he is fine and has another MV is the garage :yo:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
deimh said:
The rear seems OK, although it will need some work and repainting where some idiot has marked it (almost definately done after the crash :banghead: )

The first picture shows where the front wheel has been flattened on the LHS, strangely the RHS of the wheel seems largely OK. I'm not sure you could rework the front wheel to safely fix it - any thoughts?

I have been thinking about the previous owner, worried exactly what became of him. With a little detective work I've found out who he is (not was fortunately). Seems he swerved to miss a dog that led to the smash. The good news is that he is fine and has another MV is the garage :yo:
:stopp: I think the front one has gone too far, I was thinking the rear one would "go again?"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts