MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Here goes. As you all know Lewis and #76 parted ways a few months back. The AGO gave him the high side heave-ho and went to the insurance company. The company did not total the bike, and the wholesaler that bought it sold it to me with the clear title. My intention was to just part it out but after looking at it (not long enough apparently) I decided it was too special to break up and decided to put it back together. Lewis had the orginal side panels, mirrors, belly pan and undertank panels. The tank, airbox, and front fairing I bought from MV. It will take a while to get all the parts in and from time to time I may be looking for the odd part or two so maybe some of you in this wonderful community can help with sourcing them. Currently, I need a TPS. I'll post a few pics as I start the rebuild process and when it is done it will be for sale here first. (I damn sure can't afford to keep it, and the wife has noticed that there are now 4 MVs and 2 Ducatis in the garage. Telling her that one of the Ducatis is hers doesn't help much.)

You would think I would have learned my lesson about "restoring" a vehicle after doing the corvette thing, but never one to let past experiences and good judgement stand in the way of current passion, I plunged in. Of course I will have way more into it than I will be able to sell it for, but I take some small comfort in knowing that I saved at least one special bike.

Stay tuned!

CAG

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
All I can say is best of luck on your endeavors. I will be keeping my eyes peeled on the progress you make. You have any pics of the damaged bike?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Great to here that you're bringing her back to Life!

Good luck with the restoration and post some pics from time to time.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
My opinion of you has greatly risen :) LoL. Good luck, and thanks for giving this MV new life!

(When you get parts, can you post pics of them when they are being unwrapped? Sorry, but that is a bit of a fetish I have; I love seeing new MV parts being unwrapped. :mouthwate )

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm in New Zealand next to the Antartic for those that don't know. Recently there was an Ago for sale on our equivalent of Ebay, started of at 1 dollar reserve soon met the reserve as you would imagine.
I had seen this bike beforehand while picking up my bike from a service. It was a mess had end for ended at a 45km turn and ended up in a farmers paddock.
The bike was a second hand import from Japan and needed 57,000 worth of parts to get it back on the road, new they sell for 60,000 we are talking single figure sales in this country. It finally sold for 26,000 and all that was being purchased was the engine really.

Still I suppose to some its an Ago and worth it. Sort of pleased it wasn't just thrown away like so much stuff is these days

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Removed the radiator assembly today and pressure checked it since the upper radiator was a little bent. I don't know what the cooling system pressure is but it held 30 lbs.

Here are some pics of the bike stripped of the broken parts:

And one especially for Tomburini:

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
d-_-b Tamburini d-_-b said:
Another question, When buying parts from an L.E. MV, do you have to provide some kind of proof that the part is damaged? Can anyone, including those who don't own that L.E. purchase the fairings from it?

That is a good question...

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
What is an L.E.?

I removed the forks, laid them on the bed of the lathe and both were straight. I think it's the picture.

With regard to the TPS, I got a call from Eraldo Feracci today. (I thought it was some kind of joke. At least he didn't hang up on me when I said "sure you are, and I'm the lone ranger. Who is this, really?) I can't just install a TPS, I need some kind of software to set the sensor to the butterflys or something. I have to send the throttle body to him, he will install the sensor and send the whole unit back.

CAG

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unless I unexpectedly come into a great deal of money, or get a real job, I plan to sell it.

I have not had to provide any proof that I own #76.

CAG

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
i would imagine that all you need to do is be willing to pay the extra premium for the part. why would cagiva care? the only time that L.E. personal exclusivity matters is at the time of purchase, and even then, it's not like you register with MV which no. bike is yours.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts