MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
oil filters

hi flo filters have a listing i have one on back order, iwill let you have the part no when it arrives. I wiil also be checking against an original filter

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Read on another forum a suggestion that an R6 filter fit. Anyone confirm or deny? Might just have to order a few at the same time genuine, seeing no dealer nearby.

·
Registered
56 Posts
A 929 filter will also fit, as will a Benelli filter. I believe an RX8 filter will also fit with a higher flow. Also some random Diesel filter will fit (7$AU not sure about the flow)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
topper said:
hi flo filters have a listing i have one on back order, iwill let you have the part no when it arrives. I wiil also be checking against an original filter
Update:
Thanks to topper for the lead about HiFlo
Part No. HF554

Suits: 750 & 1000
HiFlo Filters

·
Registered
14 Posts
oil filters

champion also have a filter listed which is shown in the workshop manual although the part no given is a huskavana number and is no way related to champion oil filters,apparently the hi flo filter does not come with the replacement clamp on monday i will know if the champion does :blah:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
:nerd: Probably should start a new thread for this, but what about after market air filters? Anyone got any info or tried one?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
john said:
:nerd: Probably should start a new thread for this, but what about after market air filters? Anyone got any info or tried one?
You didn't notice that I had? :stickpoke

Only found BMC Street and Race so far.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Sorry Al, no I didn't. :blush:

·
Registered
14 Posts
after market oil filter

I tried to obtain the champion oil filter through our normal wholesaler but i was informed that i am unable to purchase these filters, they are made by champion & sold to MV exclusively, that only leaves the HI flo option as far as i know, these do not come with the clamp, which the manual says should be changed, although inspecting mine today it looks in perfect condition :blah: :blah:

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
On a side note, an R6 filter is a Mazda MX3 V6 filter. Same part number. So that makes life alot easier if the R6 filter fits....

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

That's a cross reference page for motorcycle filters, so if you KNOW a 929 filter fits, there you go...instant cross referencing and some added recommendations.

What I do know, from R6 experiance is that Fram filters are worthless. Thier filter element is worthless, in that you can basically get the same results from running nothing. There was a HUGE thread on teh R6 board a couple years ago where they actually bought a ton of filters and tested them and cut them in half and tested the filter elements seperately....Fram failed miserably.

But check out that page...good stuff. But it's DEFINITE an R6/929 filter work?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Hi-Flo is freely available, even if the Champion is not. Guess we just need to inspect the clamp when you change it.

Guessing the MV part has the clamp included? Does it come in a Champion Box, or labelled MV?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
i just checked this

a yamaha R6 filter does fit. i checked the flange diameter (the o-ring) and it's within a few tenth's of mm between the MV filter and the yamaha. also, the oil-inlet fitting is the same diameter, as are the threads!

the yamaha filter is P/N 5GH-13440-00 (actually a denso made filter)
it's for r1's 2000-up. r6's 2000-up. and a bunch of other yamies.
but i'm not going to use it. it's a crappy filter.
http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/yamaha.shtml

i'm going to try this Mobil filter - it's what i use on my r6 and it fits great. it's deeper - more filter surface area. and it's MUCH better made
http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/mobil1.shtml

the part is Mobil M1-110.

i'm going to go get one and try it on the MV.

alex

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
mobil mt1-110 filter

fits great!
clears the headers and is tight to the flange.

this is what's going on my mv f4 1000.

alex

just a little update on the mobil filter. i put it on the mv yesterday. it fits, but i couldn't use any of my filter wrenches. i have two that are the right diameter. one is an end cap type which goes on a 3/8" ratchet. the other is a band-type, which works with a wide range of filters. neither would fit because of the clearance to the headers.

so, i put it on hand tight. now, you may think i'm crazy for putting an oil filter on only hand tight, but the spec is for 15 N-m which isn't that much torque. anyway, i did it. took it for a ride and checked the filter for leaks - nothing.

i plan to do something for a wrench - maybe modify the end cap one, or get a strap type. but i will continue to use the mobil filters. the construction is good, and i like the fact that it's bigger so there is more filtering capacity.

alex

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I've just downloaded the workshop manual, and notice that there is a clamp that goes around the OEM filter. All I can assume is that the stock filter have the tendency to come loose.

In my years of doing self service on cars and bikes I've never had an oil filter rattling itself loose!!! there is always a first.

Now in Sydney.au, which oil and oil filter (non-OEM) should I use and where can I get them from?

thanks.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Never checked it but K&N seems to produce filters for MV.

·
Registered
785 Posts
We are able to supply the Champion filter made for MV F4 and Brutale, we have run a bike with the Champion filter and had no problems or troubles. Also a lot cheaper than the MV part.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts