MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has installed an aftermarket clutch slave and the clutch fully disengages when pulled in. I have a STM one and when I pull the clutch in the bike still wants to pull forward. The bike is really hard to get into neutral. Any help would be appreciated. If anything I will go back to the stock slave.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Hhhmm

That does not sound right mate. Did you bleed the system properly ? And did you use all the parts that came with the slave cylinder ? I have installed a few of these for friends and the Oberon one's on my bikes without any problems.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had my mechanic work on it and he is a world class MV and Ducati mechanic. Because the bike sat for so long before he got it, he thought it might be the clutch disk sticking together causing it to move. He pulled the basket apart and looked at the disk, cleaned them, lubed them and it still pulses forward. I have some CRG leavers installed but i adjusted them all the way out. I bleed the clutch slave 3 times. Twice by the mechanic and once by me. No air in the lines. I dont know if I just got a bad slave that will not fully disengage my clutch or if this problem is with all STM slaves.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
I will put money on the problem being the CRG lever, try putting the OEM lever back and see if that helps, the STM slave's are great, but you never know.
If the slave is not leaking, then it should be okay. The slave can only do what it's told to do by the mastercylinder (M/C).
It moves a certain amout, and this is determined by the bore and stroke of the M/C, if the lever does not fully stroke the M/C, then the slave can't move far enough to disengage your plates.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont have the stock levers anymore. If anything I will put the stock slave back on and see if the problem goes away. Just wondering if anyone else had a problem with the STM slave.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I dont have the stock levers anymore. If anything I will put the stock slave back on and see if the problem goes away. Just wondering if anyone else had a problem with the STM slave.

I have this problem without the STM slave. The last thing left for me to do is pull or replace the clutch plates. They might be warped causing it to stick. Mine is much worse when it has been sitting for a while and loosens up as I ride and the oil gets warm. I've had a few instances where it is impossible to find neutral with the bike off and I cannot start it because the plates are stuck with the bike in gear.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Same here. I bled the sustem amd mow its better. I dont think its the slave cylinder or the levers. Agree with others. Have a look at the plates or any other clutch part eg springs or washers.
Mine is stock slave and slipper on the RR
p

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had my mechanic pull the clutch plates apart and he said they look fine. Take that for what its worth. He is a good guy and wouldnt steer me in the wrong direction. I know that the bike was sitting for a long time and maybe the clutch needs rebuilt. Very low mileage on the bike though.

·
Registered
332 Posts
What about the push rod or items behind the slave cylinder? Something is not disengaging the plates right..
Are u using dot4 as clutch fluid? Not sure if other dot would make any difference certainly heat affects these. . I d trust donsy above as much more experienced on the mv

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Well if you believe so hard in your world class mechanic, why do you bother asking us mere moral's, and then argue too. It's easy to check man, take the clutch cover of, pull the clutch lever, does the clutch lever disengage the plates. They will rattle aroung a bit.
But that's not your problem. Pull the clutch plates and measure them as stated in the manual, which your mechanic might have, measure the springs, maybe they collapsed, is there spot's on the metal blates in the clutch pack?
It always helps when you tell the whole story right from the start, like how the bike stood for a long time.
Get the manual here - http://my.agusta.us/

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was just asking if anyone else has had the same problem with a STM slave. My mechanic has experience with MV's but has never had a problem with a STM slave. I just said the clutch has been pulled apart and inspected, I cant install the original clutch lever on it, and before I remove and install the original slave on it maybe someone else has had this problem. I was asking for someone else might be able to help me out. I don't want to give off the impression that my mechanic is all knowing just saying he has worked on MV's for awhile now. Again thanks for the help guys.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
I was just asking if anyone else has had the same problem with a STM slave. My mechanic has experience with MV's but has never had a problem with a STM slave. I just said the clutch has been pulled apart and inspected, I cant install the original clutch lever on it, and before I remove and install the original slave on it maybe someone else has had this problem. I was asking for someone else might be able to help me out. I don't want to give off the impression that my mechanic is all knowing just saying he has worked on MV's for awhile now. Again thanks for the help guys.
I hear what your saying, but it seems to work in one direction only. I for one, and obviously nobody else, have had this problem with the STM master cylinders.
BUT, I know that many guys have had problems with CRG levers, mostly knock-off's doing just what you mentioned, or not releasing properly, and that's why I said look elsewhere too.
On a side note, did the STM you installed come with a little ball-bearing that goes in between the slave piston and push-rod ?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Might be off base but might also want to check the master cylinder. Installed Pazzo levers on a Monster 696 then had clutch slippage problems. Hard to get in Neutral as well. Took it to the tech who bled the system and said I didn't adjust the lever correctly. Worked fine for about six months then started slipping again. Took it back to the tech who determined the master cylinder was leaking. Swapped it out and no more problems. Different bike but just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Might be off base but might also want to check the master cylinder. Installed Pazzo levers on a Monster 696 then had clutch slippage problems. Hard to get in Neutral as well. Took it to the tech who bled the system and said I didn't adjust the lever correctly. Worked fine for about six months then started slipping again. Took it back to the tech who determined the master cylinder was leaking. Swapped it out and no more problems. Different bike but just a thought.
Your perfectly right mate.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have not changed out my slave on the F4, and have no need to until there is a problem. I have changed out the slave cylinders on my Ducatis.
I know there are different ratios that can be had to make the clutch lever easier to pull. The problem comes with lower effort comes more travel of the lever to produce the same effect which is to disengage the clutch. It works the same brakes as well. The larger the diameter of the bore the more fluid must be displaced to have the same effect. It is a compromise in that lever effort vs lever travel must be considered.
Why did you change the slave cylinder? Not working, leaking or to change the ratio to make the lever effort less?
The lever was changed out as well so maybe that changed the ratio as well with less stroke perhaps?
Perhaps your problem is two fold.
1 Larger bore of slave cylinder with less stroke available from the clutch lever will mean that you can bleed the system all day long but you are simply not moving enough fluid to fully disengage the clutch pack.
My 2 cents

1 - 17 of 17 Posts