MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings my lovelies,

I am after some new gloves, I am probably going for the new Revit Jerez pro's small size for my main weather wear.
For the hot days I want a pair perhaps in a medium as my old Dainese full metal pro are too tight when my hands swell in the heat(approax 26-27c+) British summers can be quite humid.

Gloves I am interested in with high protection other than Jerez pro's(I want to try another type as my secondary pair) are;

1. Held Titans.
2. Knox Androids, which are now on their 6th version and have just got the highest CE safety rating.
3. Dainese Full Metal RS.

Anyone got these, or perhaps suggest what I missed besides Alpine stars GP Pro's? Also which gloves breath the best on hot sticky days?

Anyone know how Kangaroo skin based gloves behave after getting repeatedly very sweaty and drying out over time? I ask because with my Dainese cow hide Full Metal Pro's, the bare fingers on the inside have developed a slightly uncomfortable roughness despite using high quality hide cream to keep them subtle.
I am a fussy git and don't like riding with any of my kit causing distraction through discomfort.

The reason I am looking at the highest end gloves is because I can just about afford them, and also an old git caused me to break and dislocate both wrists many yrs ago when he turned in front of me. So it's the best for me chaps. I know the best gloves are no guarantee....

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Held Titans are the most protection out here. Just not a lot of venting. But some seriously awesome gloves. Here in BC they're plenty cool enough.

I've also got the Dainese Pro Full Metals. Very nice, but... I like the Held more, because of fit and protection.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks tripletripletriple, I have read that although the Titans look bulky they are very comfy.
I had to Google the Sting-ray skin they use as I couldn't figure out how it would be good for sliding. Turns out Sharks and Sting-rays have tiny scales, not skin. The Sting-ray skin has ends to the scales which are similar to tooth enamel.
I will be trying them on and several others in 2 weeks time, but trying them on is not the same as living with them, and the gloves listed are between £200-250.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I ride with the Spidi Carbo Tracks on the street and the track. Have rode with them in 90+Fahrenhiet degree days on the street and the track and they are very good. Tend to run small. I wear a medium in other gloves and with these I wear a large.

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
I love the Biomech from Knox, one of the most under rated gloves out there, and I see Mr. Dunlop used them this year on the TT. http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=11023
I didn't like the Handroid and sold them after one session on the track, too many weird moving - hooking and distracting parts.

·
Registered
874 Posts
1. Save your money on the Held Titans they are not soft and do not have that much comfort even after wearing them more than a dozen times.
2. The Dainese Pro full metal are a great glove, comfortable, soft and cut perfect.
3. I had a pait of Alpine star gp whatever and they fell apart.
4. The most comfortable glove out there in my opinion would be the Nicky Hayden Glove. The best pair i have ever put on straight out of the box. If your fussy like you say then i dont think you will get a better glove.
http://www.extremesupply.com/product/dainese-nickyhayden-replica-gloves.html#.UvMZLGKSyXw
Good luck.

I had a pair of Berick kangaroo made glove, they were a excellent fitting glove but i gave them away before they wore out. Just go and try a heap on and compare them.

·
Registered
583 Posts
1. Save your money on the Held Titans they are not soft and do not have that much comfort even after wearing them more than a dozen times

Interesting. I found the exact opposite. More comfy than the Dainese without any break in.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thankyou for all the replies peeps.

Donsy, could you be more specific with this statement "I didn't like the Handroid and sold them after one session on the track, too many weird moving - hooking and distracting parts."
Did you have a problem with the forward palm slider resting on the grip?
I have seen the Biomech in vids, I will give them a go, but if I'm honest I am somewhat vain, and so like my gear to look good :wtf: Which is something my dad would never even consider :laughing:

spypyp, My Dainese Full Metal's are ok, if I get another set of Dainese it will be the new RS, which is their top glove, more protection, better construction and materials, and supposedly more comfort.
As you suggest I will try a heap on. Reading reviews of various gloves some people say that a new glove wasn't that good, but when broken in was very good.
How did you get on with feel of the palms and partic the fingers with the kangaroo made glove over time, ie getting wet with sweat repeatedly from hot days?

I doubt any 2 pairs fit quite the same, and certain makes of gloves suit certain shapes of hands better than others. Which could well be that tripletripletriple's experience between Helds and Dainese is different from yours.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I've got Alpinestar GP Pro....(2 pairs of them) ..take a bit of 'breaking in'. However I now really like them...no problems.

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Thankyou for all the replies peeps.

Donsy, could you be more specific with this statement "I didn't like the Handroid and sold them after one session on the track, too many weird moving - hooking and distracting parts."
Did you have a problem with the forward palm slider resting on the grip?
I have seen the Biomech in vids, I will give them a go, but if I'm honest I am somewhat vain, and so like my gear to look good :wtf: Which is something my dad would never even consider :laughing:
Hi Mate
Yes, the fwd slider disturbed me, and the movement of those little sliders on the top of the gloves kept catching my peripheral vision on the Handroid. On the Biomech, the third slider is smaller and does not bother me at all.

I have used Berick, they tore to pieces on my first low-side.

The Alpine Stars (GP Pro) I use and have had for about 4 years, are a bit on the tight side, I use them mostly on Coaching days now, if you have very big palms, then they're 3XL will be very tight. Great glove which have lived through to crashes, but takes long to wear in.

Teknic (Xcelerator), great glove, soft from Kangeroo leather palm, big in size and uses Knox palm sliders also, love this set, but I don't think you can buy them anymore. I remember Ade mentioning he did not like these as the little sliders on top of the fingers caught the levers as you go to grab the brake (check pic), I never had this problem as my levers are a bit further out, but I felt this on the Handroid.

And now I use the Biomech, very similar in fit to Xcelerator, also using Kangeroo leather palm and Know sliders, at the moment they are going cheap and I will buy another set as spare.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Donsy: how do you like the wire Boa system? Im intrigued...
Much amused by it mate, it works easy enough and seem to be real reliable. No negatives if that's what you mean. :)

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
gloves?

old gloves lasted longer.....

my $189 Helds lasted 18 months......finger seams had to be resown,
kangaroo palm turned dark hard and cracked POS

Dainese Hellfires have a seam that runs the length of the nerve on the back of my thumbs.....and kills me
left palm wore through in less than a year

have a pair of Sedicis from CycleGear, 5 year guaranty.....we'll see

I'd pay to have custom gloves made......I have trouble finding anything that fits

thick palms, long thumbs and thick web between thumb and index finger

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Much amused by it mate, it works easy enough and seem to be real reliable. No negatives if that's what you mean. :)
I did read on a forum that a track day rider in a crash had the knob for the Boa system do alot of damage to his tendons where the knob was pushed into his arm. Anything that sticks out on our gear in a crash can be forced inwards, probably a fluke unlucky crash for him though.

Hopefully they have placed a plate at the bottem of that knob to stop it happening, I will have a look when I go shopping.
The new CE knox Handroids don't have the forward slider anymore on the palm, just the new type rear one's http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/196335

Your right about the Teknic Xcelerator glove http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAN29uvHqr8, also http://www.everydayriding.org/2010/04/teknic-xcelerator-gloves-review.html very good considering that it came out in 2010, raised the protection bar alot, and at a very reasonable price.

Thanks for the in depth reply with the pics etc.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I had alpine stars GP gloves for a year or so. I had to order XXL for them to fit me properly because the fingers were too short. They were ok, but after they wore through I decided I wasn't buying anything from Astars again other than the top of the line race replica suit or top of the line boots.

After the Astars gloves I had some RS taichi GP evo gloves for about 3 years, very very nice gloves but also wore through the palm. Didn't crash them but took 3 years to wear out so I can't complain.

Following that I got some Heroic SPR pro V2 gloves that I've now had for about half a season. They were instantly comfortable, and felt amazing on the controls. I had a seam rip at the buckle within the first 2 months which they repaired for free but I was a little disappointed. They seem pretty sturdy with the kangaroo and stingray, but I haven't crashed them yet so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info Al-

It would appear you Americans have several makers of gloves we don't hear about in Europe. Certainly not practical for us to buy as they are not for sale over here, and not a good idea to buy expensive gear you can't try on imho!
We only really see the European and Jap gloves in good ol Blighty, Knox, Held, Dainese, Rev'it, Alpinestars, and Taichi, along with a host of other I think European manufactures.

The Heroic SPR pro V2 gloves look decent, here is a review from an owner for those interested where they are for sale, he talks about the new V2 with the Stingray removed because of concern over people having petrol tank damage:

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php?topic=77832.0#.UvpYbPl_s6U

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
i also had a pair of dainese full metal racer gloves, but I found the palms to be too wide for my required finger length. Because they have that Ti plate across the whole back of the hand it wasn't possible to just deal with it, so I sold them without ever wearing them riding.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is why I am going to 2 shops which have all the types of gloves I am interested in, sizing including allowing for my hands swelling in summer heat is a tricky one, fat short fingers, long thin fingers, wide palms, narrow palms, it's a pain in the butt for us and manufactures.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts