MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,what do you guys think about the afam rear sprocket/ quick change carrier? I have a senna 1000 and thinking about buying one.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I have one fitted to my 748/853. Weight comparison with an Afam sprocket on it to the standard Ducati unit is unbelievable. Plus, it has lips on the inside to prevent the cush-drives from backing out and grinding through the eccentric adjuster. (Is this a problem on MV's too?)

(I guess the MV item will be similar.)

Si

·
Registered
77 Posts
I found a STM 4 sprocket quick change on ebay for a great price, but was dissapointed by the lack of "lips" for the cush drives as on the Afram unit. My 748s cush backed off one and I was lucky to catch it before it did too much harm.

Go up a tooth in back and the MV really feels better in day to day riding. My F4 750 gets very light in the front getting on the highway now!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I got a Feracci one, and it's.. uh.. Marginal.. it's kinda solid, and has no holes or designs, kinda stock... works well.. though..

Coleman.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
the senna/f41000's are fitted with that, but there aren't any aftermarket sprockets avail yet. xman really wants to change the gearing on the bike. as a point of interest, the afam sprocket carrier will not fit...of course he was told it would. the 750 seems to be a little bit smaller. once we got the stock one off and comapred the two, you could see the difference. man, i got to get a digital camera to document this kind of stuff.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
(Quote from Style_One): "i got to get a digital camera to document this kind of stuff."
Yeah Style your right. I would love to see what your talking about in terms of these sprockets, stock v. quickchange and how they fit.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
the holes for the rubber bushings were not identical between the 2 carriers. the afam carrier seemed to be a bit smaller. also the diameter in the center for the hub looked a little smaller on the afam as well. i'd like to see if the 1000 and 750 have different hub part numbers. i'd bet they do as well as the "clover" carrier cover.

like i said...pics would have helped :(

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Senna/1000R vs 750:

Hub is the same part number

Cush are different pn and cush plate/sprocket cover also has different pn

EDIT: BTW, the 910 has the exact same part numbers as Senna/1000R

·
Registered
479 Posts
:confused:

I understand why xman is interested as he seems to just be looking for a way to change gearing.

But what is so hard about the stock set-up? It's just the 55mm wheel nut and 5 14mm (if I remember right) 12pt nuts.

I tried to put a 41T on mine at the track (it would've been about a 10 min job, including adjusting the chain and properly torquing everything), but the chain was just too short so I had to stick with the stock 38T. :rant:

·
Registered
479 Posts
JamesC said:
..fitting 750 parts on the 1000 cush.
:)

Right, so that's all the "quick change" set ups are? They don't change how you swap the sprocket?

Sorry for the strange question...but after doing (attempting?) a sprocket swap on the MV, I was quite pleased how much easier it was than on my jap bikes...and find it hard to believe people spend money to make it even easier...

My bike came with the 41T CRC sprocket (purchased off e-bay by the prior owner), but are they hard to aquire, not made by CRC for the 1000, or something?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
having a SPR you (like all us 750's) have straight sprockets...no carrier. the 1000's all have quick change carriers which mean to change the rear all you have to do is slacken the chain unbolt the 5 or 6 sprocket nuts and the sprocket comes off. you don't have to remove anything else.

you can however by a quick change carrier to put on your SPR so you can do the same magic trick. does that help?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yeah, thanks. :)

I'm surprised people spend money and undo the stock engineering just to get around taking off the 55mm nut...but I guess that's why aftermarket companies exist...

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
i don't think it's just to get around taking off the nut. once you change over to a quick change, then you have more sprockets and more accessibility to sprockets other than what CRC has...and if it's not on backorder at a bamillion dollars! :loser:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts