MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People, please help me find a decent solution. The following is the case.
My F4 is parked in an underground garage on a parking spot next to my car. I don't have any opportunity in charging the battery as there is no power nearby. I can't remove the battery either as the bike has an alarm which is in these circumstances mandatory by the insurance. Last winter this whole thing costed me a battery...

What ways would there be to still be able charge my battery once in a while. I am sure that some technical smart asses over here know what to do :yo:

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
Erik, is there a window nearby? My friend trickle charges his dirtbike battery with a solar panel and plug. His is homemade but I believe they sell them ready for use now. I'm sure you can find something (with proper rating conversion) to hook up to your car battery as well. Just don't forget to unhook it before starting car.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No window close by... But two good suggestions worth investigating!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Have same issue exactly. I did post same question on battery boosters some time ago.

So either a battery booster or
a similar to yr battery fully charged and cables to connect to bike. Like a slave battery but position far away to avoid sparks.

I went for the 2nd option (extra yuasa ytz10s) but havent used it yet.
For the booster scenario be careful with the current. Cable on bike from battery to socket under the seat can withstand only 1-2ampers. So booster can not be more than that otherwise it will fry the wire. I found a black and decker one with 7.5A power and exit current at 2a. Read the answers to my thread then as I have no clue on this stuff..

·
Administrator
19,853 Posts
This has me thinking ......your car is parked next to it?? The car battery is a large capacity battery being frequently refreshed when the car is driven.....

You could attach a SAE wiring connector on a long lead (standard battery tender type plug...or pick another of your choice) to the car battery. Plug it into your bike's battery charger connector when you park the car.

The larger battery will seek to equalize voltage with the smaller, affectively charging the bike battery.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
This has me thinking ......your car is parked next to it?? The car battery is a large capacity battery being frequently refreshed when the car is driven.....

You could attach a SAE wiring connector on a long lead (standard battery tender type plug...or pick another of your choice) to the car battery. Plug it into your bike's battery charger connector when you park the car.

The larger battery will seek to equalize voltage with the smaller, affectively charging the bike battery.
Genius

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
304 Posts
what about buying a second battery and appropriate charger, charge one battery at home and keep one in the bike, change them over, say, once a week. that way you always have a fully charged battery in the bike

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Get an Odyssey agm or something similar. If you disconnect the battery over winter then it will retain it's charge for 2 years.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get an Odyssey agm or something similar. If you disconnect the battery over winter then it will retain it's charge for 2 years.
And when it is connected? It needs to be connected because of the alarm...

And thx all for the suggestions. And few (stupid) questions from my side...
If I would use another battery to charge how does that work? Is the one with more power always charging the one with less power?

Any suggestions for such a booster?

I could indeed use the car battery, but I am hesitant as this might go wrong easily...

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
how far is the nearest window or can you drill a 6mm hole to outside and sunlite

also is there electric lighting

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how far is the nearest window or can you drill a 6mm hole to outside and sunlite

also is there electric lighting
There is actually no window... Only the in and exit and that is about 200 meter from where the MV stands.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
what about lighting

you could get a mate around to wire some thing from the nearest light

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what about lighting

you could get a mate around to wire some thing from the nearest light
Well... To be honest that is what I was doing sort of...
But I was clearly told I am not allowed to by the owners organization. That is the reason why i am looking for alternatives... Till I have one I will still continue like I do now.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
get an indoor solar cell they work off of artifiacel light

·
Administrator
19,853 Posts
Batteries when connected together will try to equalize their potential (voltage). You car battery, connected to your bike battery, would raise the bike battery voltage as the car battery capacity (amps available) is greater than the bikes. This, in affect, charges your bike battery.
Just don't start you car with the bike connected. You could, however, start your bike while connected to the car.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Or you could just hire an electrician to run you a power point from one of the power circuits nearby and have it close to your car spot so you can plug in a trickle charger. Wouldnt cost much.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
or you could just get a lithium battery :)
Tell me more please :)

And yes people, there is a lampost, hell there is even a plug within extension cord distance. But... Its not allowed and some people will complain and even get very angry if I use it. Even if that does not cost more than €0,05 euro for an hour... Every community have stupid people huh? :D

That's why I seek a solution that will keep everybody happy. When did I become so conformistic??

1 - 20 of 61 Posts