MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick history. I started with a GSXR 1100, to an R6, to a 916, to an RC51, and finally a Gix 1k. I sold my Gix a few years ago and have been jonsin' to another bike. Right now I'm torn between a Ducati 1098 and MV 1000R 1+1.

1) The Duc is a hold over 08 which I can buy for 14k OTD.

2) The MV is a hold over 07 with 2 miles on it. I can pick it up for around 14,500 OTD.

The MV dealer is a couple hundred miles away from me so this will factor into my decision. I know this is an MV forum so I expect a little bias :), but I also figure the members that frequent these boards are straight shooters who tell it like it is. With my job I don't have a lot of time to hit the track so 90% of my riding will be in the twisties (one plus for living in MT).

1) Are the MV's a fairly reliable bike or do they require a lot of maintenance?

2)How is their resale value?

3)Anyone here have a chance to compare both?

I appreciate any input.

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
shit poor customer service from 2003 to 2009 and shit poor spares

MV are shit in my eyes

nice bikes shit poor in everything else

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sucks to hear. You think when you spend that much money you would expect some level of customer service. Though I've heard Ducati isn't the greatest either.

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
Perhaps it may be the area you live in, check dealerships but also be aware dealers also require the spares

as I say nice bicycles shit poor everything else, Italian:jerkoff:

go on, have another month off, enjoy your vacations as we await spares

mr MV.:jerkoff:

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Well my experience with MV has been fairly good so far if you don't count the release of the 312R less than a year after the release of the 1000R which essentially scuttled their value. As far as maintenance goes, I think you will find it pretty similar to a Ducati although I don't think a conventional valve train requires as much maintenance or is as critical as the Desmodronic system. Maintenance is pretty straightforward and easily done yourself if you have a decent set of tools and some mechanical ability. There will be a few specialty tools which you will need to get.

As far as the bike, I have had no major issues. I have had one warranty repair for the forks which had the coating wear off. MV replaced it without any hassle at all. Parts where in stock and took about a week to get them to the dealer. I was without my bike for two days only to get the work done and would have had the bike back sooner if i wasn't working anyway.

As for the bike itself, I like it more each time I ride it. it isn't without its quirks though and it will require a little fiddling to get right. if you owned an RC51 I am sure you must have fiddled with it a bit to get it good. The 1000r suffers from some emissions related fueling problems, mainly being lean at the bottom half of the RPM range. I think that you might be able to dial it out with the idle trim adjustment (Done electronically) or you can buy the race ECU or there is an aftermarket ECU available from one of the British members X-81 which sounds like a good option, though a bit pricey. Suspension is set up pretty harsh from the factory but can be dialed in pretty decent using the clickers. Everything else is top notch on the bike. As far as comparing it to Ducati it is a bit of a different animal. The 1098's had their fair share of problems, including fueling which may have been resolved at this point. Ducati does offer some intangibles, i.e. Ducati Island at the races, and has a much bigger following. If that is the experience you are looking for you may be better going with the Ducati, right now MV is failing with that aspect of the ownership experience.
I don't regret my purchase, I love the bike, but I do recognize it also isn't perfect so don't expect it to be and you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
sigh. If you have posted this a month ago, my answer would be totally different. Personally, I think a F4R is a better bike over the 1098 but I think you should go with the 1098 because of the lack of dealer in your area. Unless you don't mind renting a uHaul and trailing the bike for major services.

Reliability. I think the biggest issues with the F41000 is they tend to run hot (like most modern liter bikes) and the radiator are susceptible to cracking due to flexing. MV has an updated radiator with "beefier" mounts but I'm not sure if the F4R have them. Recent 312R do.

In terms of resale value, I think you're better off with the F4R. It was a $22K bike that you're now getting for $14.5! The 1098 was a $15K bike that you're now getting for $14K.

I've had a 1098 and a F4S and liked the handling on the F4S better. Brakes on the F4R and 1098 should be the same. As for power delivery, it's the 4 cylinder vs. V-twin debate that, looking at the bikes you've had, I'm pretty sure you're familiar with.

Reason, I mentioned my answer would be different is about a month ago my F4S had it's second cracked radiator. It was out of warranty but MV Agusta USA agreed to cover it under a goodwill warranty (THAT'S GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE). The problem is my bike was in the shop for almost a month with no ETA on when the radiator would arrive. So, I ended up trading my F4S for an 1198.

If you when with the F4R, you'd be covered under warranty and if not, you could probably get the radiator repair through a competent local shop. So, that's another option if you still decide to go with an F4R.

On a side note, I think you can get a 312R for about $18K or less. I was offered $20K OTD for three local CA dealers (and factor our tax is 9.25%). So, I don't know if a 2008 312 would be of interest to you. More power, better fueling, and most likely the updated radiator.

·
Registered
499 Posts
go with the mv. owner of the local mv/ducati dealer specifically told me the mv is a better bike in fit and finish. better craftsmenship. hand made in much much lower quantities.

watch both "twist the throttle" specials on discovery (mv and ducati) and then make up your mind!

·
Registered
499 Posts
sigh. If you have posted this a month ago, my answer would be totally different. Personally, I think a F4R is a better bike over the 1098 but I think you should go with the 1098 because of the lack of dealer in your area. Unless you don't mind renting a uHaul and trailing the bike for major services.

Reliability. I think the biggest issues with the F41000 is they tend to run hot (like most modern liter bikes) and the radiator are susceptible to cracking due to flexing. MV has an updated radiator with "beefier" mounts but I'm not sure if the F4R have them. Recent 312R do.

In terms of resale value, I think you're better off with the F4R. It was a $22K bike that you're now getting for $14.5! The 1098 was a $15K bike that you're now getting for $14K.

I've had a 1098 and a F4S and liked the handling on the F4S better. Brakes on the F4R and 1098 should be the same. As for power delivery, it's the 4 cylinder vs. V-twin debate that, looking at the bikes you've had, I'm pretty sure you're familiar with.

Reason, I mentioned my answer would be different is about a month ago my F4S had it's second cracked radiator. It was out of warranty but MV Agusta USA agreed to cover it under a goodwill warranty (THAT'S GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE). The problem is my bike was in the shop for almost a month with no ETA on when the radiator would arrive. So, I ended up trading my F4S for an 1198.

If you when with the F4R, you'd be covered under warranty and if not, you could probably get the radiator repair through a competent local shop. So, that's another option if you still decide to go with an F4R.

On a side note, I think you can get a 312R for about $18K or less. I was offered $20K OTD for three local CA dealers (and factor our tax is 9.25%). So, I don't know if a 2008 312 would be of interest to you. More power, better fueling, and most likely the updated radiator.
i forget, what year was your f4?

mine's an 06--should i begin asking about the radiator? no issues that i know of yet...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. I'm certainly accustomed to some quirks, and don't expect a motorcycle to be perfect. I personally love tinkering with my bike and pride myself in keeping it in tip top shape. Here's a pic of my latest bike, an 03 Gix.

The Jap bikes are usually less quirky but not immune to problems. My 01 R6 was probably the biggest nightmare I've owned. That being said, I do get nervous with the closest dealer being 230 miles away. With my schedule, an issue would add a couple weeks to turn around time, not to mention be a huge pain in the butt. I think it's a crap shoot either way I guess, I could luck out and have no issues with the MV, or I could get a Duc that's a lemon. I guess that's why I was feeling out if there are any glaring issues with the MV's. I'm not a number junkie, if I wanted the fastest bike I'd buy a 1000rr or another Gix1k. This go around I want "personality". I plan on having this bike for quite some time (I got bored and traded the Jap bikes every 1 to 2 years), and want something that I can really enjoy for years to come.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Quick history. I started with a GSXR 1100, to an R6, to a 916, to an RC51, and finally a Gix 1k. I sold my Gix a few years ago and have been jonsin' to another bike. Right now I'm torn between a Ducati 1098 and MV 1000R 1+1.

1) The Duc is a hold over 08 which I can buy for 14k OTD.

2) The MV is a hold over 07 with 2 miles on it. I can pick it up for around 14,500 OTD.

The MV dealer is a couple hundred miles away from me so this will factor into my decision. I know this is an MV forum so I expect a little bias :), but I also figure the members that frequent these boards are straight shooters who tell it like it is. With my job I don't have a lot of time to hit the track so 90% of my riding will be in the twisties (one plus for living in MT).

1) Are the MV's a fairly reliable bike or do they require a lot of maintenance?

2)How is their resale value?

3)Anyone here have a chance to compare both?

I appreciate any input.
Go for the MV :f4:

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Test ride both bikes and see what you think!! The MV is a timeless design but soon to be replace where else the Ducati is a new design will alot of aftermarket parts available.

Or go for the Aprilia RSV4 yummy!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Go with the f4 312r.. I recently bought the 08 and am in love with the balance and agility of the bike.. I do all of my own work so maintenance is not an issue.. I mostly work on Ford Racing products and not bikes.. anyone can doit with instructions.. I think you will find the Duc more of an issue and just as expensive to repair.. I have had no issues with the bike.. and the History of the bikes make them stand out against all... P.S.. I bought mine from BMW of Ok for 16,500.. that is the greatest deal in the world . I don't regret my purchase ever.. Buy both and do a comparison study.. Pete

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ive had six different MVs and they do get the odd annoying little faults - mostly easy to sort. Ive done about 15,000 miles on MVs and have never broken down once. You have to be prepared to accept that they are different from jap stuff. They are expensive but I wouldnt have anything else now - Ive just bought a 312RR- it was more expensive than the new Aprilia V4, and a duc 1098S - its probably not as good a bike dynamically but its what I like !

Its an emotion thing at the end of the day - the detail, fit and quality of parts on the MV is head above other bikes and i love to look at my MVs.

Buy what you like not what other people tell you.

·
Administrator
20,788 Posts
A couple of things to take note of....parts supply in the US has improved dramatically in recent months (since H-D take over got things sorted). Expect to see more "quality" dealers being established as soon as the current fiscal dilemmas get sorted.

MV will never be a "big name" in the motorcycle market, so if you like being a bit different from the masses you will not be disappointed. No one will deny that the bikes are excellent in every performance metric.

Lastly, maintenance compared to a desmo is no comparison. Similar to your GSXR as far as ease and intensity, although needs a bit more frequent attention.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
The Jap bikes are usually less quirky but not immune to problems. My 01 R6 was probably the biggest nightmare I've owned. That being said, I do get nervous with the closest dealer being 230 miles away. With my schedule, an issue would add a couple weeks to turn around time, not to mention be a huge pain in the butt. I think it's a crap shoot either way I guess, I could luck out and have no issues with the MV, or I could get a Duc that's a lemon. I guess that's why I was feeling out if there are any glaring issues with the MV's. I'm not a number junkie, if I wanted the fastest bike I'd buy a 1000rr or another Gix1k. This go around I want "personality". I plan on having this bike for quite some time (I got bored and traded the Jap bikes every 1 to 2 years), and want something that I can really enjoy for years to come.
Mad...I am actually in the same (or worse) boat....the closest MV dealership is actually around 300 miles away from me. I have at least 10 left hands when it comes to technical stuff. I have a Ducati dealership 150 miles away which actually will take care about regular maintenance (oil service etc.). Nonetheless, for the major service intervals I intend to rent a U-Haul (since North America is the only country in the world my car manufacturer does not sell a hitch for my car :banghead: ) to drive it up there when the time has come. On the other hand...I am actually looking for a 2005/2006 model thus...warranty is gone anyway.

As Allan pointed out, there were some radiator issue with the older models but at the same time, there a many members that never had any issues with their MV's whatsoever. Granted...Allan was kind of unlucky having the radiator broke twice. Despite that...the Ducati superbilkes currently have the same issue....there is a recall out for radiator leaks and breakage. I heard about a new one coming out for some fuel line issue (might only be the 1198 though) thus...not really that different. We are talking about Italian motorcycles...they have always required some more attention...just like their women... :naughty:

Conclusion...if you want to feel "safer" in terms of turnaround time in regards to recalls, maintenance then the Ducati would probably the better fit. If you don't mind the extra sweating in owning and even more exclusive bike and willing to take the consequences in maintaining it....go for the MV...especially since this is certainly a very good deal....

Or do what I currently intend to do....buy both the Ducati and the MV...so you got a spare if one breaks down...

·
Registered
516 Posts
I own both...go with the MV. The MV feels better and where the Duc is nice, the MV is beautiful. Both are fun to ride, the MV handles better. Figure out the twisty route to your MV dealer and make a day out of the trip, when service is required. MV's are cert as reliable as Ducati's, and on par with any other high performance bike. The good vs. bad experience is generally more about the dealer than the brand I have found.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Rather than restate exactly what Ed, (EsqZme) said I will just refer you back to his post. He summed it up perfectly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts