MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a truly awful winter. My chain and sprocket aren't looking so good keep cleaning and oiling but the rust shows through.

So advice please, i'm thinking new chain and sprocket maybe a nice gold one?
Just wondering what make ? type? x ring O ring? same sprocket or different size. Any advice will be welcomed.
I am pretty much resided to changing it and don't mind too much about the cost. with in reason!
It's the Brutale 1099rr 2012 model, with about 2500 miles on it.
Thanks for any help..
Jo:conveyer:

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
new stuff?

Hi Joanne;
at only 2,500mi there is no reason to change the chain and sprockets

a fine wire brush in an electric drill will fix the rust
wear gloves and safety glasses

then use chain wax on your chain....it doesn't really lube the chain (its sealed) but it stops the rust and helps the sprockets

·
Registered
176 Posts
Our choices are limited...

After a truly awful winter. My chain and sprocket aren't looking so good keep cleaning and oiling but the rust shows through.

Just wondering what make ? type? x ring O ring? same sprocket or different size. Any advice will be welcomed.
I am pretty much resided to changing it and don't mind too much about the cost. with in reason!
Thanks for any help..
The chain on my MV has a bit of rust on it too (Have to heat the garage this winter). Anyhow, the chain is easy, any quality x-ring will do (pic attached of my setup on the Duc) Sitting next to the MV and no rust. Not sure about the rear sprocket choices for the MV. Our rear sprocket setup sucks due to our redesigned sprocket / cush from 2010 on and it does not look like the aftermarket has many choices yet for 2010+ Let us know what you find...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts

Thanks for any help..
What Noel said Joanne, or if you do want a new Gold one, RK or DID and make sure it's the right size ie 525 I believe. No need for sprockets at such low mileage.

The chain on my MV has a bit of rust on it too (Have to heat the garage this winter). Anyhow, the chain is easy, any quality x-ring will do (pic attached of my setup on the Duc) Sitting next to the MV and no rust. Not sure about the rear sprocket choices for the MV. Our rear sprocket setup sucks due to our redesigned sprocket / cush from 2010 on and it does not look like the aftermarket has many choices yet for 2010+ Let us know what you find...
Lot's of options out there mate, rear sprockets are the same type as the 06-09 MV's, not sure about the front sprockets though, but that would be easy to check via part list's.

·
Super Moderator
22,636 Posts
There isn't a chain in my collection that clean.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jones525! I have definite chain envy. :mouthwate
What a smart set up, how much did that cost u? were from?
I just think the build quality of the chain is no of a good standard to go that quick.
Just cannot stand to look at it people think i don't look after it.
Gonna try and clean it up with the wire brush idea first. then.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks!

Jones525! I have definite chain envy. :mouthwate
What a smart set up, how much did that cost u? were from?
I just think the build quality of the chain is no of a good standard to go that quick.
Just cannot stand to look at it people think i don't look after it.
Gonna try and clean it up with the wire brush idea first. then.
The EK525 chain was $110
The AEM hub was $150
The Supersprox sprocket was $90
The Ti cush drive nuts were $45

All US suppliers. PM me if you'd like the actual vendors, not sure if I can list them here.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
No problem sharing Jones525, as long as it doesn't turn into a advertising campaign, at the end of the day it's about the options for the forum members.

http://www.designcorse.co.uk/Mv_Agusta_Brutale_2010_Chains_Sprockets

Many options here Joanne, just make sure you don't confuse your bike options with the earlier B4's as previously mentioned.. If you're in the UK it might be easy to pick up the phone and ring Al at Design Corse for first hand info.
Good Luck:yo:

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
rust?

Joanne;
i'm assuming your MV came with Regina Extra chain
both my MVs and my Aprilia have them as OEM equipment
i only use Regina Extra, i have had the same one on my push bike for 57 years, and it was used when i got it
the original one on my Aprilia RSVR went 30,000mi...it wasn't worn, it was kinking from lack of lube
my F4 ('05) has 16,000mi no chain problems
the 910R ('08) has 19,000mi adjusted once by me (bought it with 4,100mi)

derusting, i use a 0.006" wire dia. stainless wire brush in a pneumatic die grinder, run it perpendicular to the chain plates NOT parallel....you will eat the O,W or X rings if you do

spray some WD-40 in there beforehand

also remove the rear wheel and mask the brake disc off

i get 2,800mi to a Japanese push bike chain and bend Shimano Dura Ace sprocket teeth

they are junk.......but they were free:drummer:

PS; i used to sell motorcycle chain in 250' rolls

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow, that is the gleamiest rear end I've ever seen.....a joy to behold...what's the secret :mouthwate

·
Registered
104 Posts
Joanne, I bow to the wisdom of the above posters.

My 910S has hit 22,000km and the sprocket and chain still appear OK but the Manual recommends replacement at 24,000km. In anticipation, I bought a DID 525VX X-Ring Pro-Street chain and MV Agusta front & rear sprockets (15/43T). I wanted taller gearing and looking for a 41T rear sprocket but told that MV Agusta don't seem to stock one and that an aftermarket one doesn't seem to be available in Australia. I'd appreciate any leads on this one, thnx and cheers, Claudio

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Joanne, I bow to the wisdom of the above posters.

My 910S has hit 22,000km and the sprocket and chain still appear OK but the Manual recommends replacement at 24,000km. In anticipation, I bought a DID 525VX X-Ring Pro-Street chain and MV Agusta front & rear sprockets (15/43T). I wanted taller gearing and looking for a 41T rear sprocket but told that MV Agusta don't seem to stock one and that an aftermarket one doesn't seem to be available in Australia. I'd appreciate any leads on this one, thnx and cheers, Claudio
Can't help you with anything in Aus either mate. Have you looked at the forum sponsors ?
There a tub full of options out there, for the old and new bikes.

Sorry Joanne, not meaning to be rude and hi-jacking your thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The EK525 chain was $110
The AEM hub was $150
The Supersprox sprocket was $90
The Ti cush drive nuts were $45

All US suppliers. PM me if you'd like the actual vendors, not sure if I can list them here.
Yes please Pm the supplier love the cush drive nuts, did u fit it yourself?
easy fit or strip down?:smoking:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
As the boys have said..Give it a quick clean, lube it and most of all USE it ; ). So long as the chain is within wear limits ride it. They tend to rust when the oil drains off the surfaces...and the best way to stop that is to ride the bike..

:))

1 - 15 of 15 Posts