MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

First things first, what an absolutely brilliant form. Iv literally been reading everything the past few days and iv learned a huge amount. Some extremely knowledgeable people on this and someone in my position (very little knowledge on bikes) can benefit & lean hugely from it, so fair play.

I have a few quick questions im hoping you guys don't mind helping with.

As i said my knowledge is not great on super sport bikes. I was planning on getting an R6. After spending hours on hours over the last few weeks, reading reviews / online comparisons / YouTube videos my attention moved onto the Daytona's 675’s and then onto the F3’s. It appears the Daytona's are more reliable and easier to ride but its to hard to resist the looks of the F3. In my opinion there simply the nicest looking bike i have ever seen and like many of you, iv falling in love with it.

Im living in the Republic of Ireland and unfortunately there are no dealers in this country or anyone selling one second hand. Which means ill have to fly over to the Uk and bring the bike back on the boat. My question is this, from reading the other treads it appears the F3’s can be problematic. Is it a big issue if i need to get services or repair work done from an Irish mechanic ? Unlikely but if another re-map or something was ever needed is it only an MV Agusta dealer / mechanic that can do it ? This is my only concern. If anything was to go wrong i would much rather use an MV dealer / mechanic which unfortunately wont be possible. Or in this day and age is any good motorbike mechanic capable of working on the bike ?

For road use only and someone who is not hugely experienced, is there a big difference between the newly mapped 2014 675 or the 2014 800 ? Planning to pick up one in two weeks.

Do you know if there's any changes in the upcoming 2015 models ? If so i might hold off and get one next year.

Thanks Guys, i appreciate any advice given.

·
Registered
17,191 Posts
Welcome to the Forum screedo. I hope you enjoy your time here. The 2015s are on the MV website at least here in the US.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The UK dealer I use have experience in supporting customers in Northern Ireland, so given the ferries are actually closer to them in Barnsley for Eire, you'll probably find them helpful. Bennetts of Barnsley - give them a google and phone.

I think there's a reasonable difference between the 800 and 675. I've got the 675, partially for financial reasons, partially as I was coming from a litre bike and wanted to get something I could actually thrash a bit without immediately going to jail. The 675 just revs its wee head off - totally intoxicating - whereas the 800 has more torque and more peak power, but perhaps tails off a wee bit at the top end in comparison. And I don't mean speed - it'll be faster everywhere than the 675, I just mean there's more torque in the 800, so the 675 feels like it builds all the way to the redline, where the 800 swells a bit more in the midrange.

At the end of the day, both are spectacular. I had a similar choice, between the more proven Daytona and the more exciting F3 and it only took one test ride to make my mind up. The Daytona felt a more polished product, but the F3 was the one that forced me to put a deposit on it there and then.

Niggles-wise, I've had nothing. Fair to say, there are more problems with an MV than a Honda though. If you get the 800, the sprag clutch is a weak area - difficult starting being the symptom - but it's a warranty replacement. Factory batteries aren't the best - most get swapped out early in the bikes life. Issues with throttle assemblies, but these appear to be gone with new bikes. Mapping is also pretty much spot on across the range now.

I live in a reasonably remote part of Scotland and I actually went MV as it's more convenient for me from a servicing POV - Bennetts either come to my house (as part of a scheduled run across several customers) to service or collect (again, on a pre-arranged run) I know Northern Ireland customers can have bikes collected and dropped off at the ferry port, so guess you'd be able to go this route. Should an issue occur that needs it to go to the dealer - I have a worst-case fixed price for them to get a van to collect and re-deliver the bike - but they will always try to buddy up jobs to save the customer money. With a Triumph, the nearest dealer is a 4 hour round trip.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My wife owns a Daytona 675. The F3 blows thew doors off it hands down in my opinion.

Corran

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi,
A triple engine is enough torquey to revs at mid range even is a small 675, the lightness does the thing go fast. I enjoy this bike from the beginning, first for it's efficiency, last for the "confort", I'm italian bikes tester-ouwner, and I can say, it's the best for the moment compared to the price.
I'll buy a second one (may be the rivale) to got a second spare wheels set for tracking:mouthwate
Cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys thanks for the great advice. Appreciate it. keep it coming ;-) I was hoping someone would say that Corran :) Yes my mind is now made up, F3 800.

shug that's fantastic, ill phone Bennetts of Barnsley tomorrow. I might be able to work something out if I buy the bike new from them. Defiantly worth a phone call and the Irish port is only 10min from where i live. Great idea.

Something else I found strange, i found it difficult organising insurance. EVENTUALLY i found a company and got it sorted but nearly all Irish companies wouldn't even quote me. (Full licence + NCB) Although they would on a Daytona 675r + most litre bikes, R1 as an example. but not a f3. Any idea why that is ?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Can only imagine the insurance issue would be down to a lack of them on the road in Ireland. If they haven't figures, they can't calculate risk. Would imagine it's nothing to do with you, more the bike and it's risk factor being unknown. Insurance is just a numbers game, after all.

·
Banned
676 Posts
Can only imagine the insurance issue would be down to a lack of them on the road in Ireland. If they haven't figures, they can't calculate risk. Would imagine it's nothing to do with you, more the bike and it's risk factor being unknown. Insurance is just a numbers game, after all.
Insurance on my F3 was pretty much equivalent to what an F4 would have been. Quite high. But I decided to just suck it up and pay it.

By the way, Geico was a lot better rate-wise than Progressive.

·
Super Moderator
24,113 Posts
:jsm:Where are you in this world? Driving record issues?:wtf::popcorn:

·
Registered
560 Posts
When I bought my B3 I was only 19 which probably didnt help also had 1 speeding ticket on my license and I live in Los Angeles County. But the bikes garaged an only listed to ride 5500 miles per year. My big problem was most companies just didnt know what the bike was and therefore had no data to go off of. I couldnt help but ask the progressive people why a 675R was 1800 a year and an f3 was 5000 when they essentially cost the same amount...I'm still waiting on that answer. AAA was one of a few companies that actually knew that MV made 3 cylinder bikes and quoted me accordingly.

The ticket is what killed me. AAA told me that in 2016 (tickets stay on your license for 3 years in California) when the ticket goes away that my premium should drop <1000 a year. Pretty funny how going 68 in a 55 in the middle of nowhere with nothing around you can double your premium.

I have a thread somewhere on the forum talking about the nightmare of getting insurance for my bike. I had State Farm for 2 weeks until they changed my price from 1200 a year to 4000 a year with no explanation. Their agent couldnt even figure out what happened and told me that I needed to call and cancel my policy ASAP and run away.

·
Super Moderator
24,113 Posts
I live just outside a major metropolitan area...Boston, MA....with 7 bikes road registered and two cars. I don't think my entire premium for everything comes anywhere near $5K.

·
Banned
676 Posts
Run Away!!!

Interesting, I ended up with AAA since they were the only people who would quote me under $2000 a year...geico and progressive wanted ~$8000 and ~$5000 respectively.
I was looking at an F4 a few months ago, had the loan in hand, and Progressive quoted me something like 2500 (minimums). If I added in all the bells I saw a price of around 5000 per year. The F3 is about the same thru them. Decided to not do that. Finally found a Geico quote at about 1300 for a ear, F3. Still ridiculous, but took it.

By the way, no tickets, 51 years old, no accidents, riding for... five years.

Went back and look at Progressive just now (2012 F4) and they are pricing it at 2700 to 3600 a year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts