MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... i´m sad because my engine have failed...a shell is broken and i´m studing to buy a new crankshaft... i dont know if i want to refurbish it... my mechanik says that will be ok, but i want to see if i can afford a new one.
I was looking at shops and a want to know if someone have any shop to recommend (they must ship to Argentina) and if you know difference between part 8000a3782 and 83, and which pieces includes... I need shells and crank.
I will change rings too (i have engine open so it will be fine).
Oil pump work fine and relief valve it´s ok, so we dont know cause of break (engine has only 8k km).
any info will be aprecciate.

Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Trying to understand what went wrong to an engine that covered only road 8000kms it's crucial.
Think the possibility that you have the same issues again after a rebuild... Regarding the rebuild. The guy that will carry on and rebuild your engine should be able to give you some sort of warranty. At the same time by measuring and analyse your destroyed parts it is posisble to understand what went wrong and replace what is required.

Do you have MV main importer in Argentina?

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Hi Peluka,

That's bad luck on your engine.

Unless you wish to enjoy the process of re-building the engine I would strongly consider buying a good used engine as a replacement.

You could sell the other one or keep as spares....This just sounds like it could be very expensive project.

Good luck,

joe

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here in Argentina there are not importers of MV; either there are not used engines... In my country we can not import engines.. So i must rebuild this one. Anyways i preffer buil my engine tan buy another used...
In the Upper end everything is ok (Pistons, valves...). anyways i will change rings (minimal cost with the engine opened)
In the low end; i will analyze if refurbish the Crankshaft or buy a new one (i preffer a new one, but if the rebuilder says that mine is Ok and with a minimal refurbish will run great, i will have a lot of money in my pocket).
Oil Pump is ok, and relief valve too. we are investigating; but my bike is second hand; and i dont know what happended before my. So we will check everything; and rebuild looking for original perfomance and realibity. Sure it´s costly; but i have no choice.
Today i can´t enjoy rebuilding...maybe i will when i have bought all the stuff and start to close engine again...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Either there is not anothers MV owner here... No more tan 15/20 bikes...
For my luck my mechanick is a great friend of mine... So there is a light at the end of the tunnel; and is my mamba running again.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Peluka I would give the guys at Star Twin Trading a call or email them, they know the MV's very well and will be able to help with part numbers also.
http://www.startwintrading.com/

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. Number 3. Why you say not to change rings? Do you think its a bad idea?
Thanks to all of you. I will contact them

·
Registered
819 Posts
Don't forget to go over all the rods and end caps with a fine tooth comb. At the very least #3 is going to be suspect for sure, and would be a good idea to replace.

FYI, Falicon will not be able to do much for you that anybody with the proper machine and micrometer can't do down there. Now if you want to lighten the crank that's what they are known for, but seems a bit uneeded cost wise if all you need to do is make sure the crank is fine. Surely someone down there has rebuilt an engine before. All you need are the run out specs and proper bearing sizes. And yes, you have to redo ALL the lower bearings with a new/turned crank.

·
Administrator
19,853 Posts
Yes. Number 3. Why you say not to change rings? Do you think its a bad idea?
Thanks to all of you. I will contact them
It is a common misconception that rings should be replaced anytime an engine is open. Your rings have mated nicely to the cylinders. Unless the engine was smoking or the ring end gaps are out of spec (both the installed and free end gap) you will be wasting money on new ones.

Definitely want to put a new rod on the #3 since that is the bearing that failed...and all new rod bolts, too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Peluka I would give the guys at Star Twin Trading a call or email them, they know the MV's very well and will be able to help with part numbers also.
http://www.startwintrading.com/

Donsy, i received last week all stuff From startwin. From europe was cheapest to argentina. I received great atention From Alex of gp racing too. Andre From startwin was great. I bought complete Crankshaft, all bearings, rings, gaskets and oil pump. New crankshaft is different From original one (it is same of 1000r) and connecting rods are different too. I hope MV with this New stuff have had a solution to crankshaft failing. Nos we are taking all measures After cleaning to start assembling again. I wish my New engine not to fail againg.
It was a Lot of money for me but i want to keep my mamba for a Lot of years.
I Will update when she comes back to Life.
Btw. We discovered engine was preaviously opened to change shells but not rebuilding crankshaft...so they build to sell After a break and i bought...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Today my mamba came back to life. We start up her engine and everything went perfect. She sounds beautiful.... much better than before cirugy. Wen we finish i will post photos of engine rebuilding.
I am very happy.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Today my mamba came back to life. We start up her engine and everything went perfect. She sounds beautiful.... much better than before cirugy. Wen we finish i will post photos of engine rebuilding.
I am very happy.
Great news! I'd love to see the pictures!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts