MV Agusta Forum banner

Adjusting starter belt on America

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  hps 
#1 ·
Hi,

Can anyone please advise correct procedure for adjusting starter belt on America.

Belt is relatively tight but is slipping on pulley and not turning motor (starting to squeal and get hot so I stopped pressing starter ...). In order to tighten I have loosened pivot nut but cannot pull the starter motor back far enough against the tension of the belt in order to better tension it. Before I use a large lever I wanted to check other approaches to tensioning.

PS Generator belt is marginally tighter than starter belt - should they both be tensioned the same ?

Thanks,
H

#2 ·
Funny, one of my belts on my America just ripped apart, and I replaced them last Thursday night.

You're probably going to want the starter belt tighter, as it's going to take more push to get the motor to turn over when it's not running, than to spin the generator when the motor is running.

As far as tightening them: I got mine a little tighter by loosening the 4 bolts on the outer pulley, then you're only pulling back against the inner belt. Then I tightened the starter motor pivot, I tightened those 4 pulley bolts slowly, while turning the pulley. I avoided pinching the belt too much, by tightening the bolt inside the loop, if you know what I mean. I'm still getting a bit of slipping when I start it, so I'm going to try it again tonight, and I'll let you know if I figure anything else out that works better.

#3 ·
You have to add or subtract shims between the front outer pulley halfs.

This way you can get both belts tensioned the same by making the outer belt rise or fall in it's vee.

The belts wear at different rates as the starter belt has a lot more to do. It's always best to change both belts at the same time though.

You may well find you have some shims already as there usualy kept on the outerside of the outer pulley under the 4 bolts. They are just a round disc/ring with 4 holes to alighn with the 4 pulley bolts.

By moving the shims from there 'storage' position to and from the outer pulley you can get a large range of adjustment.

Hope this helps and makes sence.

Dorian.

#5 ·
I have stored them on my office desk - excellent conversation starter:)

The only negative is when I have the bike apart & am looking for them I don't have them :wtf:

Just kidding there are ON my bike as per Dorian's advice above which I was lucky enough to have received shortly after I got my bike - thanks (again) Dorian ;)

#6 ·
Thanks all for the suggestions...I am amazed at power of the Internet....

There were 3 spare shims stored on outside of pulley. I have moved then to a much more convenient location (see photo).

Conclusion was outer belt slacker than inner. Adding shims only makes outer belt even slacker. Solution = new belts. Duly fitted and now spinning like a top...

Thanks all,
H

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.