MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking the suspension settings on my Brutale 910S this weekend and found the settings really wacky! I know they were probably set for the previous owner. I'm planning to take the bike to a suspension clinic this summer to have it adjusted for my weight.

I wanted to adjust everything to the softest setting as a starting point and wasn't sure about the preload (front shocks) adjustment. (I have the suspension chart from manual handy) There is obviously no "click" detent for the adjuster nuts. I did however notice a black arrow etched on each nut - both pointing to the rear. Are these arrows used as reference points to know how many turns you have gone?
The manual just says to "turn" them and were not detailed enough for a newbie. (3 settings) Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Yes, the arrow can be used as a reference point, one 360deg rotation signifies "one turn".
Why do you want to set everything to the softest setting ? Do you know which is softest as apposed to hardest ?
Is the bike so bad handling at the moment that you're pre-pared to ruin it completely ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I stated in my post, I wanted to start from softest to get a starting point. The previous owner's settings were nowhere near the specs in the chart. They seemed to have been picked at random or the suspension guru who set up the bike was following some mystical formula. I can post the settings I discovered if anyone is really curious.

The bike seems to have been set up to the "hardest" settings and it was torture riding it on the horrible expansion joints on our freeways. (I knew the Brut has a reputation for "harsh" ride out of the box) The bike is mostly for commuting and the settings I have it on now are much more comfortable for it's role. :smoking:

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
I saw what you said.
To make suspension "softer" you need lighter springs, maybe decrease compression damping, and increase rebound damping.
All of this done individually, between rides, and considering that changes made at the front can affect the rear, and visa versa.

I would go to factory settings, see what that feels like compared to how the others had it set, then soften up from there.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Preload for street riding

So you should just watch the video and follow how Dave Moss measures the suspension. Don't use the rider sag dimensions that he refers to because he is setting it up stiff for the track. For the street, I would start with setting the front at 50mm and rear at 40mm with you on the bike with all your gear on. Your springs should be good between 170-190 pounds. You might need weight specific springs outside of that if you are going for comfort. This setting worked great for me on the street. I just dial in a bit more preload if I go to the track, but not much more because my preference on how I get feedback from the tires.

Dave Moss also has a video on setting up the dampening. Initially set up the dampening so both front and rear compress and rise at the same rate when you press down on the bike. Have a friend be a second set of eyes. You can fine tune one click at a time with a few test rides.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts