MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may also apply to other MV models.
My B4 750 has aftermarket adjustable levers fitted, Titax brand. These were on the bike when I bought it. When I first started to ride the machine I was missing gears, and occasionally it would not fully engage and jump out just after the shift. This had me a little concerned, so I changed gear more carefully, but even then it would still miss shift sometimes. Then the notion hit me about the adjustable levers. I had adjusted the clutch lever reach to about 2/3rds full span, so I adjusted it out to full span, result, end of gear shift issue!
So, just in case new owners to MV have the same issue, or if you fit new levers, check your clutch lever.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I’ve got adjustable CRG shortys on both sides and can attest that the clutch has to ALWAYS be in the full-out position on my B4. Anything else and it gots the grip before being fully engaged. Curious to hear if someone (or many someones) has found a way to solve for this without creating other clutch issues.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should also mention that you (speaking collectively) should be cautious about buying adjustable levers from no brand Chinese sellers. A friend bought some 'bargain' price levers for his Ducati off Ebay from a Chinese seller, which looked really good and at £30 for the pair did indeed seem to be a bargain. Until the front brake lever snapped after a few weeks!
That scared the brown substance out of him but it could have been fatal! Luckily he was at low speed with nothing to hit at the time. The force that can be exerted on a brake lever is quite surprisingly large, so if the design or materials are suspect the prospects are grim. Go for known, proven brands.

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
If you value your life, stay away from any cheap China replica with cheaper metals and no qc measures. Turn 1 at NJMP track a few years ago the guy in front of me went straight into the barrier. Piston seals on his $20 brake levers looked like a little balloon. Wish I took pics.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I’ll never understand the urge to spend all the money we do on our hyper-fast machines, only to try and cut costs on the systems that control the go and stop functions. Really, buy some fake carbon fiber and knock off race decals, but for god sakes put some reputable levers on the bike!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not so difficult to understand these days. Most new bikes are purchased on personal contract hire finance, well ithats how it is in the UK anyway, so the buyer is typically tapped out financially with the monthly payments. Consequently they are inclined to look for bargain add on bits.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Not so difficult to understand these days. Most new bikes are purchased on personal contract hire finance, well ithats how it is in the UK anyway, so the buyer is typically tapped out financially with the monthly payments. Consequently they are inclined to look for bargain add on bits.
Seems like natural selection at work. The OEM parts are designed to handle the stressors of these machines. If you fancy form over function to the point of swapping for low-quality beauty, you’ll only win the race to the scene of the crash.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts