MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2001 748 Monoposto with 1,100 miles

I picked it up for $1,000 with Clean Title. It needed some work so my total invested will be about $3,500 for a pretty mint example.

It looks just like the one in this pic, in fact it's identical minus the exhaust. I pulled this pic off of an add on ebay.

I gotta stop buying bikes.

My Collection thus far
1 - 999 Turbo Edition 143rwhp 85ftlbs
2 - MV1000F4 Stock
3 - 748 Mono Stock

What will my next bike be??? Ducati 1098?? :smoking:
Bimota DB5???
Bennelli 1130???

Hmmmm Decisions Decisions

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A buddy of mine bought this bike new about 2 years ago. Then he bought the 999R.

He had a mishap with this bike where somebody dropped a bolt in his airbox and caused his front cylinder to seize. I took it off his hands. I only got it this cheap because we are boys. I reached out to Section8Superbike for support to get the bike running again since I'm tight with them as well. My friend didn't want to put any money into this bike since he's in line to get the Desmocedeci as soon as it drops.

I might use this bike for commuting, day in day out stuff. I will teach my father how to ride with it and maybe give it to him as a gift. Who knows. Or I might sell it for $7K and make $4K profit. :D

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
So did you have to sell your car to get it :stickpoke

Heh.

I was just about to buy a salvage title '02 748 for about $4k, so you got a hella deal. It's not very difficult to put a new piston in the bike, and as long as the cylinder is OK you should be OK. Replacing a valve or 2 and seats isn't a huge deal either.

You got pretty lucky with that one.

It's not going to impress you with power, but you should take it to the track to compare it to your others (given that it's got a decent suspension setup). I think you'll be surprised at how good they work.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I did the labor myself, I would have only spent about $2,800 total. But I just started a part time business in addition to my day job at Citigroup and I know that I wouldn't have the time to put this thing back together.

I will post pics when she's all ready. :yo:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
acruhl said:
So did you have to sell your car to get it :stickpoke

Heh.

I was just about to buy a salvage title '02 748 for about $4k, so you got a hella deal. It's not very difficult to put a new piston in the bike, and as long as the cylinder is OK you should be OK. Replacing a valve or 2 and seats isn't a huge deal either.

You got pretty lucky with that one.

It's not going to impress you with power, but you should take it to the track to compare it to your others (given that it's got a decent suspension setup). I think you'll be surprised at how good they work.
I'm definitely going to the track with it. Probably on Oct 7th or 8th. I've actually ridden this very bike before when my friend first got it.

The cylinder was fine but this was the "drop-head" motor so it got complicated. Drop head motor heads run $1,900 new. So I did have my work cut out for me. I was prepared to let the bike sit all winter until I found something on ebay but I was able to get lucky quickly.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
2001? You sure?

I thought they'd all gone to 5-spoke wheels and grey frames by then. Unless it's the 748E (non-adjustable steering angle, and non-dzus fasteners), and I thought they'd got rid of the large square side-duct by then, but I thought all 748Es were biposto...

Si

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Turbo329 said:
I'm definitely going to the track with it. Probably on Oct 7th or 8th. I've actually ridden this very bike before when my friend first got it.

The cylinder was fine but this was the "drop-head" motor so it got complicated. Drop head motor heads run $1,900 new. So I did have my work cut out for me. I was prepared to let the bike sit all winter until I found something on ebay but I was able to get lucky quickly.
I thought the "drop head" was only on '02 bikes, but I'm not sure. Does yours have vents on the side or is it smooth sided? You did say '01, so it should have the vents.

Did you have to replace the head then? That sucks. Most problems can be fixed, but not all... I guess it depends on the size of the bolt. Lucky about the cylinder. But that coating they put in them is super tough.

By the way, for the other post, the standard 748 had 3 spoke wheels all the way until the end. Here's the '03 model:

http://www.ducati.com/my2003/ducatiModel.jhtml?modelName=748

The smooth sides sure do look nice though. Almost had one, but it got away. Got a 996 instead.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Thats one hell of a bargain for the money. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts