MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I am looking for some help/advice. I am looking to organize a track day at some point. But I need to make sure my kit is up to scratch. Part of that is the requirement for a helmet that meets ACU gold standards. My helmet is an AGV AX8 Carbon, I know that it meets the ACU gold standard because I contacted AGV directly and they confirmed it. The only problem is that it does not have the Gold sticker on it. I bought it from FC Moto in Germany, when it arrived it had no stickers on the back at all. Now they may have been in the box and I just lost them I don't know. The problem is that AGV say I need to get the sticker from the retailer and the retailer says they don't have any, or can't supply them.

So how do I get my hands on a sticker? I know you can buy them off ebay.

·
Registered
396 Posts
ACU is a UK standard so no reason for it to be on a non UK lid even if it meets required standards.

TBH, I have never had my helmet checked at a track day so wouldn't worry but if you are concerned, you can buy them from ebay as you said. I did this when I had a helmet painted a few years ago.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair enough, that makes sense I guess. Was a little wary of going the ebay route, but if its not that big a deal I will just go ahead and do that then.

·
Registered
212 Posts
ACU is a UK standard so no reason for it to be on a non UK lid even if it meets required standards.

TBH, I have never had my helmet checked at a track day so wouldn't worry but if you are concerned, you can buy them from ebay as you said. I did this when I had a helmet painted a few years ago.
As Hawk said. I've never seen a helmet checked on a trackday.

If it's European then it should have the

EU EEC 22.24

number on the back (or somewhere) - ACU is a British standard only but conforms to EU standards. After a crash in a race, marshall's would peel the ACU sticker off so you couldn't use the crash hat again with health and safety concerns, and how they are designed to absorb the energy of an impact.

But then people bought the stickers off Flea Bay and walked up to scrutineering next race day with the same lid (provided it still looked ok and not completely f**ked...)

As it's just a trackday, I wouldn't worry about it. Have fun.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks. I have went ahead an ordered the sticker of eBay. Claims to be a genuine article, who knows. On o the plus side I have confirmation from AGV themselves that it conforms to the ACU Gold.

Having never done a track day before I want to make sure I play by the rules for the start, that way I don't turn up at Knockhill just to be turned away because I missed something stupid.

Haven't planned a date yet.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
Careful - there's a danger you'll be hooked and before you know it you'll be perusing No Limits website to sample as many of the UK tracks you can, then after you've sampled 75% of them you'll see the foreign ones, and the thought of 3 days track time in 30 degrees heat in Portugal for the same price as 3 separate wet trackdays in the UK.....it's a slippery slope.....👍👍👍

Reactions: XPARAUK

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol, I suspect that you may be right!! I just watched a guy on YouTube that I follow do a track day in Germany and it looked awesome, despite the hold ups he encountered.

Ultimate dream is to do a lap of Spa one day either in a car or the bike I don't care which.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
Not on the MV (the 800 will struggle round there, and i didn't have it then....)

And only just over an hour from the greatest circuit of all time - Nurburgring.....win win.

Spa is my favourite short circuit.

Reactions: Calcifur

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'd be more concerned about having wet weather tyres at Knockhill than an ACU gold sticker :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL, you are probably right. My setup is sport-touring tyres. I forget what brand/model they are. Although by the time I actually get organised for a track day they will likely have changed anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've bought Arai helmets in Japan, no gold sticker. Over all the track days I've done using it, never been checked. If it's a reputable brand and not a no name brand then it's highly likely they'll let you on the circuit anyway. If you're really bothered, you can always get one off eBay.

Tracks I've been to with no problem;
Brands Hatch
Donington Park
Snetterton
Le Mans

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have just ordered one of eBay, at least that way I am covered. would be pissed off if decided to chance and got turned away. As a few have said, probably won't even get checked, but better safe than sorry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts