MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To maintain the charge of the battery of my F4 during the winter time (i ride it less frequently), i was told to fit an automatic battery charger "ACCUMATE" with a permanent plug in socket to the bike. A friend of mine told me that it coud be hazardous for the electrics and electronics parts, to proceed with a battery charge (even at low rate) without disconnecting the battery : the generator and other electrics been fidden in a reverse way (battery -> generator and not generator -> battery).
Does any one use a permanently fitted ACCUMATE charger without a problem or is there any precaution to avoid problems ?
Thanks for your opinions

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I have a similar thing, it's called an Optimate but I presume it does the same job, i.e. keeps your battery in good shape whilst the bike is laid up over winter or whatever,I believe it stops putting charge into the battery when the optimum charge level is reached and just continually tops up as required. I never had any problems with mine and regard it as a very good piece of kit. :)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Most new MV's come with a trickle charger that plugs in permanently via a 'socket' type plug, so I really don't think you need to worry about damage. My only concern was off gassing of the battery if you charge in enclosed space, say with a bike cover on...and there was some form of ignition, but the new sealed batterys are not a problem...check yours though...

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've also been using an Optimate for the past two and a half years on my F4 with no problems. I don't generally ride much on the roads and do mainly track days so the bike stays sat in the garage for weeks on end (sometimes months) and has always been ok when I've come back to it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use optimates on 2 bikes and a car. Not had any problems associated with the charging. THe latest Optimates (and possibly accumates) detects the state of the battery and can recover some bad batteries. I then use the optimate plug on the bikes to power external devices like sat nav and autocom.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I use a Battery Tender...bout the same as all the other trickle/top off/ maintainer type charges with plug ins on all my bikes...no problems.

gassing off should not be a problem either, as long as your battery does NOT have a vent hose or tube.....most cycle batteries nowadays are completely sealed AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries that have no vent tube and can be mounted on their side as well as upright.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
spalding12 said:
agusta01 said:
Most new MV's come with a trickle charger that plugs in permanently via a 'socket' type plug
come WITH one
who's did that?
Mebbe it's a down under thing Greg, I didn't get one with my F4 either. :jsm:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
John,
All new R's, and the Senna (certainly in Australia) come with a trickle charger from the factory, the bike has a pre connected waterproof electrical quick connector fitted to the battery to which you can connect the charger.
Its made in Italy, my dealer kindly added a converter from the Euro pin to the Aus one.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
When I get round to taking delivery of a Senna Graham, I'll make sure I get one. :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
No, I'll move over there, weather is better....alllegedly :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
419 Posts
my R came with a Battery Tender.. i had to ask the dealer to attach the plug to the battery. Never had a problem and i love it.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
agusta01 said:
John,
All new R's, and the Senna (certainly in Australia) come with a trickle charger from the factory, the bike has a pre connected waterproof electrical quick connector fitted to the battery to which you can connect the charger.
Its made in Italy, my dealer kindly added a converter from the Euro pin to the Aus one.
My R came with one as well, sort of a phone charger sized thing, can't see it being as good as my optimate so I use that instead.
The optimate charges the battery to 14.5v (I think) then switches off and monitors the battery's voltage drop over a 1/2 hour period to determin the battery's condition, it repeats this, if the battery fails this test it changes mode to trickle all the time :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Been using an Optimate/Accumate charger for several years on my Aprilia Falco and FJR1300 since reading reviews in MCN, with no ill effects. I bought a second unit after getting my F4 so I can keep both Italian beauties connected all the time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts