MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With the new season closing in, it might be useful to look back at previous seasons where accidents happened. Why? No one likes talking about them.
True, but if we can learn from them, perhaps whilst they cannot be ruled out completely, it's possible that we might be able to reduce the reoccurance.

Before folks start mentioning non fault accidents, this thread is more about looking at yourself. It's easy to blame ice, salt, mud and diesel, but sometimes, just sometimes, we screw up.

I had a few close calls before having 2 high sides, the most recent being October 2011. What I hope I've learned is to always treat roundabouts and their exits and entry points the respect the surface conditions need with respect to oil and diesel on the surface and not to power down too early otherwise you soon meet the rear wheel coming round :D

I also learned early on not to overtake with right turns ahead and indeed when vehicles fail to indicate an intended right turn and commence the turn whilst putting in an overtake with no escape path......I shit myself that day back in 2005

Have you been off?
How about sharing and learning from it?

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Do I need to?? Some people will start to ask about the ditch...

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
If a track was in the condition of British roads with potholes, diesel, members of the public in the lane, gravel, leaves etc then the race would be stopped. Therefore I don't race on the roads..

Some say that's boring . I don't give a flying one what they say or what they think ; )

joe

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I was confused a little bit about the right turn thing till I looked at your location.

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Ironic that this topic pops up. I had a close call yesterday on my FZR400. Even on roads that you know well construction crews can pop in and change things on you. Entering a sharp blind hair pin that I love to exit at high speed I see a section of the turn that had been jackhammered up and there's gravel in it instead of pavement. After the initial holy crap moment I picked the bike up and altered the line so I could ride over it without being as aggressively leaned over. When riding on public roads one has to be prepared for the unexpected. Riding 100% committed to a turn is never a great idea as you never know what's waiting for you even on roads you know well.

It's kind of disturbing sometimes to see the threads where people blame other factors other than themselves. Ultimately when an accident happens it's the riders fault. You were either going too fast for your specific skill set or you failed to leave yourself an "out" in a case where something unexpected happens. Playing the blame game never lets you improve or become a safer rider.

Youtube is an endless source of amusement for "blame game" scenarios. One of my favorites is where a rider is going way too fast and does not expect a human obstacle in the road. Instead of blaming himself he blames others. Perhaps he was going too fast? Would it have been any different if it had been a tree limb or other item in the road? Moral of the story. Expect the unexpected. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Gc-3w_nJo

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
If a track was in the condition of British roads with potholes, diesel, members of the public in the lane, gravel, leaves etc then the race would be stopped. Therefore I don't race on the roads..

Some say that's boring . I don't give a flying one what they say or what they think ; )

joe
Pretty much. I'm much the same way myself.

I was doing a comfortable speed in heavy traffic on the interstate the other day and watched a group of squids pass me lane splitting between cars at 100+mph. They were probably saying to themselves "look at the slow guy on the MV". That's fine with me. I'm not willing to take that kind of risk on public roads.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
and at the same time it's not good to be bored cuz then we can switch off and ride on auto-pilot and that's not good either...

joe

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
and at the same time it's not good to be bored cuz then we can switch off and ride on auto-pilot and that's not good either...

joe
Agree with you there too. Being as aware as you can with your surroundings is really important.

Perhaps MV could market their bikes aggressive riding position and great sound track as a safety feature. I'm never bored on the F4. :)

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Agree with you there too. Being as aware as you can with your surroundings is really important.

Perhaps MV could market their bikes aggressive riding position and great sound track as a safety feature. I'm never bored on the F4. :)
Good point Rchase,,,Hell, I'm not used to agreeing with you all the time :naughty:

My Laverda Jota seems insane at 60 mph..The MV also has me buzzing as soon as I climb aboard .
...The Hayabusa I used to have was lame at speeds I don't want to even post here as it could incriminate me...a total bore at real world speeds.

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Good point Rchase,,,Hell, I'm not used to agreeing with you all the time :naughty:

My Laverda Jota seems insane at 60 mph..The MV also has me buzzing as soon as I climb aboard .
...The Hayabusa I used to have was lame at speeds I don't want to even post here as it could incriminate me...a total bore at real world speeds.
Yeah. That's one of the reasons I prefer some of the smaller engines in my vehicles. You can rev the crap out of them and it feels faster and I have a lot more fun. The more powerful vehicles are fun too for different reasons but sometimes there's less of a sensation of speed due to the engine not being as bothered as a smaller one.

Eh. I'm not all bad. I agree I have some oddball viewpoints. The joy of a discussion forum like this is being able to compare notes. Ultimately theres a lot more that we agree on than we disagree on just based on our choice of motorcycle alone.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Yeah. That's one of the reasons I prefer some of the smaller engines in my vehicles. You can rev the crap out of them and it feels faster and I have a lot more fun. The more powerful vehicles are fun too for different reasons but sometimes there's less of a sensation of speed due to the engine not being as bothered as a smaller one.

Eh. I'm not all bad. I agree I have some oddball viewpoints. The joy of a discussion forum like this is being able to compare notes. Ultimately theres a lot more that we agree on than we disagree on just based on our choice of motorcycle alone.
+1 I had the most amount of fun I think I've had in a car in a long time in a little old 660cc Daihatsu the other day. Gosh felt like a Go Cart doing 180kmph at around 80.
Managed to get to around 115 down a hill and felt like I was going for the land speed record!!
Great fun!

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
+1 I had the most amount of fun I think I've had in a car in a long time in a little old 660cc Daihatsu the other day. Gosh felt like a Go Cart doing 180kmph at around 80.
Managed to get to around 115 down a hill and felt like I was going for the land speed record!!
Great fun!
LOL. That sounds like a lot of fun. My dad was a rally driver and used to do absolutely amazing things with his 2 stroke Saab 96. It's not as much about the car as it is what the driver can do with it. :)

A clip of a slow by todays standards Saab 96. Love that sound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXVRdSbKDT8

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Back on topic. I once went with a friend to the mountains for a ride. I was on my MV and not familiar with the roads and he was very familiar with the roads and was on a Ducati. Watching him from behind with his bad body steering and leaving me behind charging corners I thought to myself he's going to crash that thing. He eventually did. Afterwards I noticed he was a LOT more careful almost to the point of being squeamish.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts