MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Wtf?

here everyone, read Carl's post again......

you own a Brutale made between 2003 and 2008, it does not matter what the part number of your SPU is. There are two SPUs, and only two, which supersede every other number.

If your Brutale has a VIN ending in 100421 or lower the new part number for your SPU is 8A00A9615. If your Brutale has a VIN ending in 100422 or higher, the new part number for your SPU is 8A00A9300.

NB: It doesn't matter if you have a 750 or 910 with a VIN ending in 100422 or higher, it is the same SPU for both bikes.

can you figure it out????????:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Recently purchased a 2004 Brutale, and want to add my 2 cents. Just got the service history for my 2004 Brute, VIN 100022, courtesy of Milan at MotoWorks Chicago; CDI box was replaced on 04/15/2010 at 2250 miles with Part # 8A00A9615.

·
Registered
192 Posts
What are most of these SPU's being replaced for? Low charge being sent to battery when unit gets hot (giving symptoms of flat battery which corrects itself when motor/electrics cool down) and low beam cutting out when opening the throttle?

Are there other common issues also experienced by faulty SPU's?

Does a new improved replacement SPU cure the symptoms I described above?

Thanks in advance for knowledgable answers coming form experience.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Turn signals turning on by themselves, or only working intermittently.
Headlight staying on even when ignition key is removed.
Engine stays running even when ignition key removed.
Those are a few of the faulty SPU symptoms. I suffered from the turn signals not working when needed and then turning on for no reason and not turning off! A new SPU sorted it.
A lot of different electrical gremlins can be caused by that bloody blue backed SPU.
Point of interest.......I bought a new SPU from my MV dealer for the same price that StarTwin were selling them, and didn't have to pay any postage. Direct from MV isn't always expensive.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I can't find a 8A00A* number on my SPU anywhere. (04 brutale 750, sub 100421VIN) and i am experiencing typical SPU problems (dead lcd, dash lights on when key removed) but my bike has a new appearing SPU (black covers, 12 fuses, no resin). I'm not sure where to start trouble shooting.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Does anyone need one of these? Spent a bunch of money ordering one to find out that I didn't need it. Still in the bubble wrap.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Does anyone need one of these? Spent a bunch of money ordering one to find out that I didn't need it. Still in the bubble wrap.
Put it up in the For Sale section mate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Tob, amazing bike you have there, welcome to the family. I have the same bike and I think it's the most enjoyable bike I've owned, and looks amazing in the flesh too. I also had A LOT of electrical gremlins before I finally got a black SPU and no issue ever since. I did take the old SPU to an electronics repairer and his take is that it was 'badly' made, hence problems were intermittent and subject to temperature variation. He said he could redo all the traces and check all the components out but that by the time he's finished, it'd cost as much as a new SPU so I didn't try to repair it. Such as shame because there's really only ever one or two functions not working.
Thank you Paul! :grin2: I love the bike, it was my dream since when I was a teeneager but these electronic issues are extremely frustrating. Now I will buy a new SPU but I hate the fact that it seems there is nothing you can do to avoid this problems. I have already a black one but it could die again after 1 day and it seems there is nothing I can do to change that.
BTW greeting also from "her" (see picture below).

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I´m having the same issue on my Brutale 750s. VIN002524, the correct new SPU is installed (8A00A9615-V2). Sometimes the bike doesn't want to start at all, mostly of the time it starts but after reaching temperature I start to experience the shutter/stop issues. The SPU starts to cut power to injector / fuel pump / coil line and the bike turns off.
What should I do now? I buy a new SPU but that´s doestn´t solve the issue! There is no guarantee that it will last more than some hours.
To be honest it is quite frustrating. Do you have any suggestion? has anybody solved the issue permanently? Are there different "black SPU"? Are you aware of design changes?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi Tob, I have found through bad experience with the bike that it will be worth your time to clean all the contacts (including fuses, or just put in new fuses), and protect the contacts with grease (I use dielectric grease, but others here have their own take due to the insulating nature of the grease).

These are some of my experiences:
  • No power to bike when hot - bad battery connection. Clean up battery terminals and protect with dielectric grease - Fixed
  • Bike won't start intermittently - oxidated 40Amp fuse under the seat. New fuse and smear of dielectric grease on the housing (not the fuse) - Fixed
  • Headlight dims and brighten - bad fuse, and I think it caused damage to the SPU as well. Fixed for a time.
  • Indicators - oxidated contacts in the indicator itself. Clean and dielectric grease (now replaced with LEDs with Badlands load balancer). Works perfect now.
If you look at the pins on your old SPU, you might find oxidation on them (some of mine were). So when I replaced the SPU, I also smear a bit of dielectric grease on the face of the plug (not the pins). My bike has been perfect since these measures, though I expect that with the humidity of where I live, these maintenance types measures will have to be carried out regularly to keep the electrics working.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have corresponded with Andre @ Star Twin asking about the infamous Brutale SPU. He tells me:
"According to the most recent info from MV Agusta, the 8A00A9300 (our reference 0003515) will now fit all Brutale 910,989 and 1078. The 8A00A9615 is only applicable for Brutale 750.
We sell 3 to 5 of these units per month and have no problems anymore."

"Yes, The 8A00A9300 should work, we have only good feedback on these new and improved SPU’s."

Even though my Brute has a VIN lower than 100421.

This is supposedly a new and improved SPU for all 910's -
Is this correct???
I contacted MV directly and they advised the same as above. My chassis is lower than 100421 and they advised me that 8A00A9300 is the correct part. I'm even more confused now!:frown2:

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
I contacted MV directly and they advised the same as above. My chassis is lower than 100421 and they advised me that 8A00A9300 is the correct part. I'm even more confused now!:frown2:
The problem with using that 6 digit VIN is the missing digits that came before....the last 6 digits are the production sequence number but those same numbers could randomly appear in several years or models.

The 8th digit back tells the year. The first 8 digits of the VIN tells the model (among other info).

In the MV parts catalogs the last six digits are listed to designate production changes in the specific model the catalog represents. I would defer to Star Twins and MV for the information, not this thread.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts