MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up my F3 800 on Saturday and had an amazing 1000 kilometre ride home through the mountains with an overnight stay in the most gorgeous town, appropriately named Mt. Beauty. I bought the bike brand new so as to be unmolested by any demo rider or previous owner and have never been happier about owning a bike. As the thread would suggest, I have one query..

I was coming up to a T-intersection on a country back road and thought I'd casually use the rear-brake to arrest my speed for the stop. I hadn't at this point really bedded the brakes or discs yet so they weren't particularly effective and I used harder application of foot-to-lever. Thinking the ABS would kick in shortly, the complete opposite occurred. The rear wheel locked up and wouldn't let go, and the engine stalled. It caught me quite unprepared so I didn't really react much more than to grab the clutch and front brake to stop myself. I restarted the bike, found first and continued rolling with a polite wave of apology to the other bikes that had suddenly made some significant ground from behind. I was trying to rack my brain to work out what had occurred, my answer being, I was too slow for the higher gear and the engine must have stalled. I wanted to try again.

Later the next day after having made an effort to use more and more rear brake to bed the pads in a bit, I thought I'd test out the ABS again. I was in a literally dead-quiet town on the main drag and got myself set up safely in case the same was to happen. I was doing about 70 kilometres, depressed the rear brake, and applied constant pressure until I thought I would find the ABS but to no avail. The rear locked up and again I came to a quick stop, unable to get the wheel rolling again until I restarted the engine. For some reason at this point, it seemed logical in my mind that I had read somewhere in the manual, that the ABS wouldn't work below 30km/hr, (I think it meant until you reached 30km/hr, not below there-after, this is me in hindsight). So a significant time later after trying to decide the best course of action, I thought I'd try one last time, keeping well clear of this new 30km/hr barrier I set myself. Again, setting myself up in case of failure, on a straight road, good surface, doing 120km/hr, I applied rear brake, and fed more pressure through the lever. The wheel locked up, and the engine stalled, but this time I tried a couple of options, as I had a bit more time up my sleeve whilst I hurtled down the road in a controlled skid. I took my foot of the brake, and re-applied, I tested every gear, releasing the clutch between each and even trying to 'jump' start the bike into running again, as the engine had stalled once more, I even had time to clutch in and engine start just before I came to a stop. I looked in the mirror only to see the road covered in smoke from my now significantly flatter tyre, and a seriously long skid mark, at LEAST 30-40 metres long. At this point I looked at the dash and it flashed "ABS Malfunction".. yeah, you don't say..

tl;dr

My rear abs isn't working as it should. It locks up the rear wheel and stalls the engine and won't let the wheel spin freely until the engine has been restarted. I'm quite confident the front IS working, as today a guy in a caravan pulled out in front of me and I could feel it pulsing under my fingers. The bike is brand new, and about to undergo it's first service this week.

Has anyone experienced anything like this, or have any suggestions as to how I might rectify my problem. I could only imagine how poorly this might go down if it was to occur at corner entry rather than on straight roads.. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
341 Posts
So I picked up my F3 800 on Saturday and had an amazing 1000 kilometre ride home through the mountains with an overnight stay in the most gorgeous town, appropriately named Mt. Beauty. I bought the bike brand new so as to be unmolested by any demo rider or previous owner and have never been happier about owning a bike. As the thread would suggest, I have one query..

I was coming up to a T-intersection on a country back road and thought I'd casually use the rear-brake to arrest my speed for the stop. I hadn't at this point really bedded the brakes or discs yet so they weren't particularly effective and I used harder application of foot-to-lever. Thinking the ABS would kick in shortly, the complete opposite occurred. The rear wheel locked up and wouldn't let go, and the engine stalled. It caught me quite unprepared so I didn't really react much more than to grab the clutch and front brake to stop myself. I restarted the bike, found first and continued rolling with a polite wave of apology to the other bikes that had suddenly made some significant ground from behind. I was trying to rack my brain to work out what had occurred, my answer being, I was too slow for the higher gear and the engine must have stalled. I wanted to try again.

Later the next day after having made an effort to use more and more rear brake to bed the pads in a bit, I thought I'd test out the ABS again. I was in a literally dead-quiet town on the main drag and got myself set up safely in case the same was to happen. I was doing about 70 kilometres, depressed the rear brake, and applied constant pressure until I thought I would find the ABS but to no avail. The rear locked up and again I came to a quick stop, unable to get the wheel rolling again until I restarted the engine. For some reason at this point, it seemed logical in my mind that I had read somewhere in the manual, that the ABS wouldn't work below 30km/hr, (I think it meant until you reached 30km/hr, not below there-after, this is me in hindsight). So a significant time later after trying to decide the best course of action, I thought I'd try one last time, keeping well clear of this new 30km/hr barrier I set myself. Again, setting myself up in case of failure, on a straight road, good surface, doing 120km/hr, I applied rear brake, and fed more pressure through the lever. The wheel locked up, and the engine stalled, but this time I tried a couple of options, as I had a bit more time up my sleeve whilst I hurtled down the road in a controlled skid. I took my foot of the brake, and re-applied, I tested every gear, releasing the clutch between each and even trying to 'jump' start the bike into running again, as the engine had stalled once more, I even had time to clutch in and engine start just before I came to a stop. I looked in the mirror only to see the road covered in smoke from my now significantly flatter tyre, and a seriously long skid mark, at LEAST 30-40 metres long. At this point I looked at the dash and it flashed "ABS Malfunction".. yeah, you don't say..

tl;dr

My rear abs isn't working as it should. It locks up the rear wheel and stalls the engine and won't let the wheel spin freely until the engine has been restarted. I'm quite confident the front IS working, as today a guy in a caravan pulled out in front of me and I could feel it pulsing under my fingers. The bike is brand new, and about to undergo it's first service this week.

Has anyone experienced anything like this, or have any suggestions as to how I might rectify my problem. I could only imagine how poorly this might go down if it was to occur at corner entry rather than on straight roads.. Thanks for your help.
Hmmmmm, doesn't sound like much fun and you will be up for a new rear tyre. Maybe you could ask for one on warranty. Can you disable ABS through the settings? I don't have ABS (2013 model) so not sure if you can turn on/off. Good excuse to get a Supercorsa rear :yo:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

To give everyone an update, and probably a good reason why no one else has had this experience;

I had the first servicing conducted and explained my problem to the mechanic asking them to check it out, on picking the bike up the mechanics informed me that the ABS sensor was inadvertently crushed, most likely by a rock off of the road, or perhaps on the factory line. Currently waiting on a response from MV to see if they will cover this under warranty. Hopefully I will hear back in the next couple of days, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A further update to this;

MV agreed to cover this part under warranty, and after accidentally sending the wrong part, my mechanic finally had in his hands on the correlating ABS sensor to fix my problem. I picked the bike up on Thursday with the new sensor, and the new rear tyre and wanted to bed the tyre in.

Obviously, I wanted to quell any doubt about the ABS reliability so I thought I should test it out to make sure it was operating correctly before I tried to use it in a real situation. On a nice straight road, no cars nearby, I hovered my hand over the clutch for safety and slowly applied more and more pressure to the brake lever. Eventually, the rear locked up and didn't let go. Just like before.

So I have a repaired bike that still isn't working properly, and a flat spot in a brand new tyre. The screen is still flashing up with "ABS MALFUNCTION" so I don't think it's in my head. Frustrating to say the least.

I can't imagine what else would cause this, any ideas from the floor? Cheers guys

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
It sounds like something electronic... Bur still weird, you would not expect the wheel to lock up. Someone who knows the working of ABS should kick in here...

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Mv's electronics arent the best and it sounds more of a faulty electronic issue. I would give the bike back and get them to cover it under warranty again this time replace the whole ABS.

But in any case. Who uses the rear brake anyway lol.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
5,577 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Did the tech do a road test on the bike before he gave it back in that condition?

Resetting of the controller and bleeding the whole system is a painstaking and detailed process that must be followed to the letter.
A faulty sensor should have sent the abs controller into fail safe mode, whereby the abs is turned off, not locked on.

·
King of Bling
9,817 Posts
I was going to say that too. Just didnt want too be the first stupid one to say it lol.

The reason I mentioned it was that I thought my HP2 Sport only had ABS on the front brakes...

Under extreme braking conditions you need the ABS mainly working on the front because of the massive transfer of forces, and you still want to have some control of the steering.. What’s happening at the rear isn’t as important..

·
King of Bling
9,817 Posts
MV models with ABS

I don't know if this helps, but I did a quick search on Google and found this..

We tested on very slippery French mountain roads in the morning. The damp and cold conditions were ideal to test MV Agusta’s new ABS brakes and lots of traction control but were terrible for cornering grip. I just couldn’t get enough heat into the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II tires. And this caused the front end to lose grip during a photo pass. Luckily I saved it, but from this point and back to the Paul Ricard circuit, the road test centered on ABS brakes and comfort for me. The ABS brakes have two modes and can also be switched off.
The ABS brakes came in handy on the slippery mountain roads in France.

The Brembo brakes are powerful, so on a slippery day the new ABS brakes come in handy. Modulation is smooth and precise, and as long as the tarmac isn’t too slippery, there is a minimum of intervention from the ABS. When I turned the ABS brakes off for the track part I locked up the rear to test ABS really was off and found the rear calliper liked to stick onto the disc for longer than I liked. Perhaps a bit of bronze lubricant on the sliders would solve this issue.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Well yeah who locks up the rear under brakes? The front is taking all the load so i would think its only for the front mainly. I would think the traction control was more for controlling the rear

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:

Firstly, sorry for never getting back to a lot of these comments, I don't know why it wasn't notifying my inbox. The ABS is definitely front and rear. (a) there is four lines going into/coming out of the module, (b) the sensor disk is on front and rear and (c) it registers there being a malfunction on the rear when it locks up. Nothing wrong with that thought though

I have finally had a chance to leave the bike with a MV specific mechanic. Under warranty, they have replaced the rear cylinder, the lever, the lines, the calliper and the disk. Their explanation was that a particular 'pin' was bent/unhinged within the cylinder set-up that was interfering with the operation of the ABS. The following morning, once the roads dried up, they took it for a test run and came across the same issue. I suppose the benefit is that the mechanics have now had first hand experience with the issue. The current plan is to replace the ABS sensors, the disk and receiver, again. MV Australia have also emailed 'Italy' to ask for support/advice.

Looks like I won't have the bike for at least another month at this rate... I'll take solace in the weather being pretty poor at this time of the year.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just updating the thread for anyone that's listening:

The bike has now been with an MV specific mechanic for just on a month and a half now. In this time they have replaced the entire braking line (Cylinder, lever, cylinder housing, hoses, pads, disk). Upon completing this they took the bike out for a test and the same error code was present.

After a long wait for delivery (the burden of owning an Italian that's not 'mass produced'), they have now replaced the ABS sensoring system and relays. Upon testing, the bike is STILL throwing the same ABS malfunction code and locking up.

I queried whether they planned on replacing the ABS unit/pump itself or anything to do with the ECU but the response I got was essentially; "We've emailed MV Italy and are awaiting a response for further advisal"

I want this issue fixed, as it's a major safety problem, but as fellow riders I'm sure you'll all empathise with me when I say I just want to ride..

·
Registered
661 Posts
I feel your pain. After paying extra for ABS myself, I would like to know that the ABS is good to go as well as the full function of the rear brake. Donsy have best idea. If your impetus is simply to be able to ride your MV (nice) just have the ABS system removed and you basically have that bike sans ABS option. You save some weight as well, with the ABS module and extra lines removed. That way, MV can go figure those problems out at the factory and not on your purchased bike. Ask them for refund on the option, and if they don't give it, at least you can ride. Your time over several months is worth more than a $1000 option in my opinion!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very interesting idea to chase up the $1000 premium and having the ABS removed entirely. Financially, that probably seems the most viable option from the factory point of view. Perhaps I can just have the rear half detached and maintain the front wheel ABS. Thanks for the idea, that goes out to you too Donsy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts