MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
18,841 Posts
Knew it was coming.....EC will mandate ABS on all bikes soon.

·
Administrator
18,841 Posts
I am sure it will be sourced from a supplier. Bosch most likely.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
From the link in Haupti's post:

The heart of the ABS system installed upon the MV Agusta F4 supersport model is the compact and
lightweight Bosch 9MPlus control unit. The unit contains pressure sensors that interface with the two
phonic wheels, one per wheel. The main objective is naturally to reduce the braking distance upon
wet, damp or otherwise low-traction surfaces. In addition to preventing the dangerous locking of the
wheels, thanks to the control unit's sophisticated algorithms, the MV Agusta ABS system also prevents
the relative deceleration from causing the rear wheel to lose contact with the asphalt, thus impeding
the motorcycle from tipping forward. This situation - which is not uncommon on sports motorcycles
equipped with extremely powerful braking systems - is prevented by the Bosch 9MPlus control unit,
which implements the appropriate countermeasures whenever the rear wheel loses contact with the
asphalt.

·
Vendor
5,156 Posts
Great news,I could have used ABS a few times on my bike instead of doing a Motorcross stunt down the road.:brutale:

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Who manufactures the electronics for MV, is it Bosch or are they done in house?
MV???? they have trouble with radiators:stickpoke

The heart of the ABS system installed upon the MV Agusta F4 supersport model is the compact and
lightweight Bosch 9MPlus control unit. The unit contains pressure sensors that interface with the two
phonic wheels, one per wheel. The main objective is naturally to reduce the braking distance upon
wet, damp or otherwise low-traction surfaces. In addition to preventing the dangerous locking of the
wheels, thanks to the control unit's sophisticated algorithms, the MV Agusta ABS system also prevents
the relative deceleration from causing the rear wheel to lose contact with the asphalt, thus impeding
the motorcycle from tipping forward. This situation - which is not uncommon on sports motorcycles
equipped with extremely powerful braking systems - is prevented by the Bosch 9MPlus control unit,
which implements the appropriate countermeasures whenever the rear wheel loses contact with the
asphalt.
note: to electronics idiots....
>cars front brakes do about 70% of the braking
>bikes have way greater polar moment putting way more weight on the front tire
>bikes very commonly lift the rear wheel while stopping

>the concept of decreasing the pressure to a front brake doing 100% of the braking to add rear braking is asinine.....

street riding on black ice...... maybe ABS is is a good idea

me, i don't ride when its icy:naughty:

the ABS on my BMW GS sucks hind tit

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
more electronic BS

Who manufactures the electronics for MV, is it Bosch or are they done in house?
in house, are you kidding????? MV, they have trouble with radiators that they buy from Toyo:stickpoke

asphalt.
>race car front brakes do about 70% of the braking

>the concept of decreasing the pressure to a front brake doing 100% of the braking to add rear braking is asinine.....

like i want more Toyota/Lexus fly by wire crap

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great news,I could have used ABS a few times on my bike instead of doing a Motorcross stunt down the road.:brutale:
The new Bosch unit is a lot of 2013 bikes from Europe - Aprilias, Ducatis and then some more. It did get very good reviews in all the tests of bike that were equiped with this unit. In race mode - I read - it basically only kicks in when you have an off-track excursion :)

In general I have to say I don't quite get MV's product policy. They announce major changes to their bikes, before they even are available on the US market. I think the 2013 F4 just started to show up at the dealers. I haven't seen any '13 Brutales and they announce the availability of ABS ...

oetzi-baer

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
in house, are you kidding????? MV, they have trouble with radiators that they buy from Toyo:stickpoke

There you go again. My mamma always said if you can't say something nice, then say something bad

·
Registered
814 Posts
The new Bosch unit is a lot of 2013 bikes from Europe - Aprilias, Ducatis and then some more. It did get very good reviews in all the tests of bike that were equiped with this unit. In race mode - I read - it basically only kicks in when you have an off-track excursion :)

In general I have to say I don't quite get MV's product policy. They announce major changes to their bikes, before they even are available on the US market. I think the 2013 F4 just started to show up at the dealers. I haven't seen any '13 Brutales and they announce the availability of ABS ...

oetzi-baer
Because the states are not a big market for MV. That isn't their focus point.

Historically they actually lost money selling bikes in the states.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Because the states are not a big market for MV. That isn't their focus point.

Historically they actually lost money selling bikes in the states.
Whereas I thought the US is an important market for them. But maybe they have was to go. From what I understand US may now be the biggest market for Ducati ...

As for me I am really torn - I am not looking for F4 but a Brutale 800, wait or not wait. Especially since nobody really knows when they show up in CA - only guesses.

oetzi-baer

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Noel as much as I care, I didn't miss all the electronic driving aids yet. But as we all can read it is the option to shut the ABS off as You can switch off the traction control. You have to live with the ride by wire throttle if You want a modern days sport bike.
However I believe that a functional ABS system can help everyone of us in a panic situation we are facing once we looking to smash into a truck, a deer, an oncoming car or what ever.
Isn't it better that You can squeez the front and rear to the max and still have the rubber being in contact with the road, instead of skidding into the trees, under the car, into the guard rails,... ?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

oetzi-baer
I agree completely here.
But I think MV's product strategy is questionable for the entire world and not just the US.
The 2013 F4 range is just 2 or 3 month on the market, dealers have the none ABS bikes in the store and now comes every interested buyer and wants the ABS version.
I fear the none ABS versions will be hard to sell without a hefty rebate now. And this with the slim profit margins MV is giving the dealers.
Why did MV not announce the ABS option at the introduction of the 2013 fleet is their own silly secret.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Not so sure Ralph. I think a lot of guys out there could not care less about the ABS, I know most of the guys here rip it off the BMW's and Ducati's even before they change the x-haust pipes.

I have nothing against it, I just don't HAVE to have it at the moment.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Electronics are here to stay...period. With unprecedented power levels and handling levels coming in the form of the new generation of bikes, there will be more safety net electronics on the bike. Is that going to stop me from enjoying the bike? No. Is that going to make me ride any differently? Maybe a bit because psychologically there is the safety net. Is it a bad thing that the electronics are there and we can turn them all off? Not at all.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I agree, electronics is here to stay. I wish I knew what to do with most of it.
But we are talking ABS, and I ride mostly on the track, I don't need it and don't like it .... yet.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I agree, electronics is here to stay. I wish I knew what to do with most of it.
But we are talking ABS, and I ride mostly on the track, I don't need it and don't like it .... yet.
Have you tried it on a modern sportsbike like an RSV4/S1000RR ??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts