MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 2014 Rivale with 3400 miles. It’s virtually perfect and the owner has taken great care of it.

I’m confident it is the right bike for me because my last bike (Yamaha MT09) was what I wanted, except it wasn’t refined enough for my taste. Plus I’m 6-4, so the height is great.

I live in the mid-western United States, so if I end up struggling with the upkeep of this bike, the closest dealer is more than two hours from me.

The seller offered me the bike for $7000 usd. Does that seem like a decent price?

I know I’m going to love the bike, I’m just not interested in purchasing a headache.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd be prepared for a few things that aren't as perfect as a Yamaha but if you are a serious enthusiast you will be hooked by the craftsmanship. You will need to be a bit more hands on. The tank is tiny and it is more hard edged than a Stradale which is my preferred model.

·
Old Wing Nut
21,954 Posts
Welcome to the family @jkdad212 !!
MV Agustas are not Japanese bikes. They are Italian exotics and as such demand attention. If you are competent with tools and mechanical things you will be fine. There are some things only a dealer can do (electronics related).
Get the VIN from the seller and ask MV USA to confirm all updates have been completed. You can contact them directly.
Where are you riding in the mid-west?

Reactions: jkdad212

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the family @jkdad212 !!
MV Agustas are not Japanese bikes. They are Italian exotics and as such demand attention. If you are competent with tools and mechanical things you will be fine. There are some things only a dealer can do (electronics related).
Get the VIN from the seller and ask MV USA to confirm all updates have been completed. You can contact them directly.
Where are you riding in the mid-west?
I live in Springfield, Ohio. It’s between Dayton in Columbus, Ohio.

I appreciate your input. I’m fairly handy, but in situations where I have to figure out what is wrong before I can fix it, that’s where having a dealer is nice. Literally 2 1/2 hours away is the closest dealer to me. Then I hear about ridiculous weights on parts. That’s honestly another thing I don’t really want to have to deal with. Writing is just a hobby, but I do like the bike to always be around for those days I have time to ride.

·
Old Wing Nut
21,954 Posts
Well....my MVs have been very reliable, ready to ride bikes.
Maintenance parts are not any more costly than Japanese bikes, certainly not more than BMW or Triumph parts...and you have access to a wealth of knowledge and experience here to help should you have a dilemma.
If you want a Ferrari you have to expect some differences in ownership from a Toyota.
Whatever you decide, enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well....my MVs have been very reliable, ready to ride bikes.
Maintenance parts are not any more costly than Japanese bikes, certainly not more than BMW or Triumph parts...and you have access to a wealth of knowledge and experience here to help should you have a dilemma.
If you want a Ferrari you have to expect some differences in ownership from a Toyota.
Whatever you decide, enjoy your ride.
Great points. I’m not expecting a super exciting and beautiful bike like an MV to be as trouble free as a Honda. I just don’t want to be stuck on an island in the middle of Ohio by myself, with a beautiful paperweight that doesn’t run.

Sounds like I could probably troubleshoot with the folks here, and then locate a park somewhere out there.

·
Registered
2005 F4 AGO 2017 TVL RC
6,551 Posts
I live in Springfield, Ohio. It’s between Dayton in Columbus, Ohio.

I appreciate your input. I’m fairly handy, but in situations where I have to figure out what is wrong before I can fix it, that’s where having a dealer is nice. Literally 2 1/2 hours away is the closest dealer to me. Then I hear about ridiculous weights on parts. That’s honestly another thing I don’t really want to have to deal with. Writing is just a hobby, but I do like the bike to always be around for those days I have time to ride.
My nearest dealer is 5 hours but that has never been a consideration. Once you own a MV that becomes a non factor. They are beautiful pieces of machinery and art. Ride it and admire it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I pulled the trigger just just got home from my first two hour ride! It’s pretty unbelievable how much more refined (probably not the right word) this bike is than my Japanese bikes.

I can’t find the words to describe how different it is. I’ve had great performing Japanese bikes, but they’re still lacking what this bike has. And I’m not really talking about the looks, even though it’s a work of art. It’s completely stunning and everyone was looking at it.

I’m starting to understand why European bikes cost more.

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts
Congratulations! Enjoy.

·
Registered
2015 Rivale 800
6 Posts
First of all congratulations for your choice,

Then with your VIN number you can call a dealer and make them check about the recalls for your bike.

2014 had for sure the recall on the “free wheel” (don’t know if is the correct name, the gears that connect the starter motor to the engine during the starting up).
Till 2015 some (a lot)of VINs had the call for the clutch disk housing (basket?).

They will also tell you if something has been already replaced in warranty!
If they are not able to provide you the informations write directly to Mv!

Enjoy your bike!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts