MV Agusta Forum banner

A "proper" 1000R

6K views 50 replies 18 participants last post by  RECON8541 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a couple of days off work and thankfully some relief from the weather today. I called-in to the local dealership today (Spectrum Ducati/Aprilia/MV) to see if some decals I ordered were in. Our buddy Aaron answered the phone, and he mentioned to me that they had just today fitted their red/silver 1000R demo bike with the race ECU and RG3 exhaust - it's the very same bike all of us down here demo'd before we bought our F4's. Without wasting much time, I went there to try it out!

When I pulled-up, the bike had just come out of the shop with the upgrades. I noticed the shinier RG3 exhaust (a little more "silvery" than the gold-tinted stock exhausts). I couldn't wait to give the bike a spin.

Here are some of my impressions, note that these are really just my comments from the limited time I had spent on it this morning. So these are more for "street" situations, rather than "high-performance" track commentary:

1) I started the bike, there is barely any difference in sound with the RG3 exhaust compared to stock. So mild, it's almost insignificant.

2) The RPM was at about 1,800-1,900, definitely higher and sounding a bit more "aggro" than stock. Ok...

3) I give the throttle a little snap, and wow... that's different, the response from the engine was nice and tight... instantaneous, unlike the stock bike which will lag a bit when you do the same. It's like the bike talked and said "oh, so you wanna rock?" :D

4) So I pull out. The little surge from the 1,200rpm mark to the 2,000 mark (common on all 1000R's) is gone. When you pull-out with a 1000R (I hear it is the same for the liter Sennas) for the first time ever, that little surge from 0mph is a bit surprising. Not a big deal when you are used to it though. But it's nice that it's gone now.

5) So I go out, ready to terrorize the streets of Irvine. I go to some of my favorite nearby empty stretches and see for myself what the big deal about this Race ECU is all about... and it doesn't take long to see why:

The big flat spot and the 5K rpm is competely and totally GONE. The progression of the fuel delivery is straight as an arrow and does not deviate whatsover from its mission towards the higher RPM. Damn, now this is a PROPER 1000R. It felt so damn good, I went straight into the parts department when I got back and bought the damn ECU... and I am usually careful with my expenses, especially on big ticket items like this!​

Although the bike behaves much like the 312R now, it is still somewhat different in that the 312R tends to save much of its power for the top-end, whereas this 1000R tends to distribute the power more evenly. Where the 312R tends to be parabolic in its power delivery, this "proper" 1000R tends to be linear. This is the way I feel it is. Which is better? Shiiieeeetttt I'll take either one.​

6) RG3 Exhaust: The difference in sound between the RG3 exhaust and the stock exhaust on the 1000R can be confused as "no difference" on unfamiliar ears, however, if you are familiar with the sound the stock 1000R makes, you will definitely hear the difference, which I like very much. It is subtle, and does not bastardize the MV into an obnoxiously sounding bike. I am still, however, not sure whether I will fork the cash for it. I also do like the light-gold-tinted tips of the stock exhaust more than the more 'silvery' tips of the RG3.

Although the 1000R is a tremendous bike right out of the box, I must say that once you have tried the 312 or a 1000R with the race ECU, you might be like me and think that the 1000R's stock fueling is pretty fucked-up in it's stock form in comparison to this, pardon my french.

It makes me wonder why MV didn't do this to begin with, but I suppose they have to comply with very stringent euro emission standards... or maybe they just want more of our money, lol.

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a couple of days off work and thankfully some relief from the weather today. I called-in to the local dealership today (Spectrum Ducati/Aprilia/MV) to see if some decals I ordered were in. Our buddy Aaron answered the phone, and he mentioned to me that they had just today fitted their red/silver 1000R demo bike with the race ECU and RG3 exhaust - it's the very same bike all of us down here demo'd before we bought our F4's. Without wasting much time, I went there to try it out!

When I pulled-up, the bike had just come out of the shop with the upgrades. I noticed the shinier RG3 exhaust (a little more "silvery" than the gold-tinted stock exhausts). I couldn't wait to give the bike a spin.

Here are some of my impressions, note that these are really just my comments from the limited time I had spent on it this morning. So these are more for "street" situations, rather than "high-performance" track commentary:

1) I started the bike, there is barely any difference in sound with the RG3 exhaust compared to stock. So mild, it's almost insignificant.

2) The RPM was at about 1,800-1,900, definitely higher and sounding a bit more "aggro" than stock. Ok...

3) I give the throttle a little snap, and wow... that's different, the response from the engine was nice and tight... instantaneous, unlike the stock bike which will lag a bit when you do the same. It's like the bike talked and said "oh, so you wanna rock?" :D

4) So I pull out. The little surge from the 1,200rpm mark to the 2,000 mark (common on all 1000R's) is gone. When you pull-out with a 1000R (I hear it is the same for the liter Sennas) for the first time ever, that little surge from 0mph is a bit surprising. Not a big deal when you are used to it though. But it's nice that it's gone now.

5) So I go out, ready to terrorize the streets of Irvine. I go to some of my favorite nearby empty stretches and see for myself what the big deal about this Race ECU is all about... and it doesn't take long to see why:

The big flat spot and the 5K rpm is competely and totally GONE. The progression of the fuel delivery is straight as an arrow and does not deviate whatsover from its mission towards the higher RPM. Damn, now this is a PROPER 1000R. It felt so damn good, I went straight into the parts department when I got back and bought the damn ECU.​

Although the bike behaves much like the 312R now, it is still somewhat different in that the 312R tends to save much of its power for the top-end, whereas this 1000R tends to distribute the power more evenly. Where the 312R tends to be parabolic in its power delivery, this "proper" 1000R tends to be linear. This is the way I feel it is. Which is better? Shiiieeeetttt I'll take either one.​

6) RG3 Exhaust: The difference in sound between the RG3 exhaust and the stock exhaust on the 1000R can be confused as "no difference" on unfamiliar ears, however, if you are familiar with the sound the stock 1000R makes, you will definitely hear the difference, which I like very much. It is subtle, and does not bastardize the MV into an obnoxiously sounding bike. I am still, however, not sure whether I will fork the cash for it. I also do like the light-gold-tinted tips of the stock exhaust more than the more 'silvery' tips of the RG3.

Although the 1000R is a tremendous bike right out of the box, I must say that once you have tried the 312 or a 1000R with the race ECU, you might be like me and think that the 1000R's stock fueling is pretty fucked-up in it's stock form in comparison to this, pardon my french.

It makes me wonder why MV didn't do this to begin with, but I suppose they have to comply with very stringent euro emission standards... or maybe they just want more of our money, lol.

+1:naughty: but reset the ecu/TPS to restore the idle:)

#5 ·
Nope... S models are the 1.6 Magneti Marelli ECU and require a new EPROM to change fuelling, not an ECU replacement. The R models are the new 5SM ECU that are replaced by the Race ECU from MV Corse.

#9 ·
No Dova I believe you mis-understood. He seemed to love the fix that the race ECU provided in terms of fueling response, but was still somewhat reluctent to fork over the extra cash for the RG3 exhaust system which has less to do with the actual fueling and is more so related to a reduction in back pressure. In the future try to keep up, please. :)

#11 ·
What a difference!

Guys,
I rode the same F41000R that Sig did today.
Smooth as silk! Absolutely no fueling issue with the Race ECU.
My ECU, RG 3's, and mid pipe are sitting in their service department. I bought them when I purchased the bike.
I'm waiting 'till my 600 mile service to have them put on at the same time.
Hopefully this stupid rain stops here in LA so I can put on the other 360 miles left.
I wish MV put the ECU on to begin with. I was told they had to lean out the fuel for Euro 3 emissions and noise which is measured at 5000rpm.
Anyone who is unhappy with "the surge" on their 1000R should invest in the Race ECU. You'll be happy you did.:yo:

#12 ·
How much is this race ecu and where do I get one? Is it plug and play or does the bike need to be tuned after installing it?

#13 ·
#15 ·
Wouldn't a power commander be a cheaper option? I would have thought that a "race" ecu would have to be matched to an open link pipe and a an RG3 system. My advice, for what it's worth, is ensure that the ecu would improve and not disrupt fueling at any point of the rev range if the ecu is the only modification you intend to install. Anyway, good luck, let us know how you get on.

#24 ·
I figured as much :) Its all in fun man, life is to short to get all bent out of shape :bawling: because someone said something in the internet. :flickoff:

Sig I will expect a report when you get this thing together!:f4:

#19 ·
Hey guys I'm back, thanks for the helpful comments. I'll be hooking it up when I get home in about 10 days. I did consider the PC3 and some other more 'cost effective' alternatives, but after having ridden it, I was convinced I guess, to go all the way make it "proper." I plan on doing a base run dyno before and then do another dyno after the install, just for kicks too.

#20 ·
So will you be changing JUST the ECU when you perform your before/after dyno runs, or will it also involve any exhaust/midpipe/air filter upgrads as well? I'd be curious to see what JUST the ECU does to change the performance of a stock bike, myself.

#23 ·
I'm interseted to see myself. Anyone have any predictions?
I think my own prediction would be to the point that I think we will find that the ECU provides the greatest overall character change in the performance of the bike by itself, without the support of other added components. An exhaust system upgrade should relieve some back pressure in the system and as a result may possibly increase some top end power, but will usually do this at the cost of low-end grunt or something else and will not normally produce anything in the area of signficant alone (without supporting chip, or eprom upgrade) and is in fact relied upon these upgrades for it's own potential

#25 ·
Our buddy Aaron answered the phone, and he mentioned to me that they had just today fitted their red/silver 1000R demo bike with the race ECU and RG3 exhaust - it's the very same bike all of us down here demo'd before we bought our F4's. Without wasting much time, I went there to try it out!
Didn't say if the link pipe was fitted. I have just had my first run out at the weekend with link pipe, RG3 and race ECU...What a difference is an understatement!

I noticed that on idle the engine note is much deeper. Not sure but suspect that the removal of the cat is part to do with that. I agree that the exhaust note is not too load, but when you get to 10k and over it is screaming!...just awesome.

The response pick up is now instantaneous and whack the throttle open will have the bike vertical before you can say holy shit!

Agreed all the surging has gone.....I'm in love with my bike all over again!
Perfection personified!
Tont

#26 ·
yeah I would like to see how the ecu does by itself. I would think that it would have to be set up for a certain type of exhaust, no? Does it somehow self adjust timing and fuel? With a race pipe (headers, mid, and exhaust) you should get a different flow (more air) than the stock set up and you would think that would be what the race ECU is set up for.

It would be nice to be able to benefit by just getting the ECU and the midpipe, cause a full system isn't cheap. I think I will wait and see what happens.

BTW- did the test bike have a slip-on or full system?

#27 ·
yeah I would like to see how the ecu does by itself. I would think that it would have to be set up for a certain type of exhaust, no? Does it somehow self adjust timing and fuel? With a race pipe (headers, mid, and exhaust) you should get a different flow (more air) than the stock set up and you would think that would be what the race ECU is set up for.

It would be nice to be able to benefit by just getting the ECU and the midpipe, cause a full system isn't cheap. I think I will wait and see what happens.

BTW- did the test bike have a slip-on or full system?
Spectrum's demo bike had only the RG3's and the race ECU. Apparently the Corse mid pipe doesn't fit the stock headers?
Yes the race ECU does also say "F41000R-RG3".
No, the mechanic needs to adjust air/fuel and idle.

#29 ·
I'll let you know in a couple of weeks. I'll be taking my bike to Spectrum next Tuesday for the 1st service, RG3's, mid pipe, race headers, and race ECU. I'll have them do a base run before (if it's not too abusive), then an after run. I'm hoping for at least 10 more RWHP, 15 would be nice. :f4:

#32 ·
It's done!

Picked up my F41000R last Friday from Spectrum after having the Corse headers, mid-pipe, RG3's, Race ECU, BMC Filter, and Muzzy fans installed. What a difference! This is the way MV should have delivered the bike. Of course it wouldn't have passed emmisions, but thats another story.
Absolutely no surging. Very smooth and progressive throttle. Feels like quite a bit more power everywhere. The bike wants to pull the front wheel up all the time under acceleration. :f4:
Idle is set at 1200-1300. A little hunting, but who cares. The bike runs great and pulls hard. The exhaust note is a little louder. It kind of howls at speed. A bit nicer sounding.
Also as I mentioned in another thread, overall temps are down by 10 degrees.
By the way, my bike only had 580 miles on it, yet a couple of the plastic fan blades were already showing signs of melting.
I'm very happy with the bike now. :mouthwate

#34 · (Edited)
Picked up my F41000R last Friday from Spectrum after having the Corse headers, mid-pipe, RG3's, Race ECU, BMC Filter, and Muzzy fans installed. What a difference! This is the way MV should have delivered the bike. Of course it wouldn't have passed emmisions, but thats another story.
Absolutely no surging. Very smooth and progressive throttle. Feels like quite a bit more power everywhere. The bike wants to pull the front wheel up all the time under acceleration. :f4:
Idle is set at 1200-1300. A little hunting, but who cares. The bike runs great and pulls hard. The exhaust note is a little louder. It kind of howls at speed. A bit nicer sounding.
Also as I mentioned in another thread, overall temps are down by 10 degrees.
By the way, my bike only had 580 miles on it, yet a couple of the plastic fan blades were already showing signs of melting.
I'm very happy with the bike now. :mouthwate

+1 and many fast and safe rides!

What have you done with the valve clearance, did you check them?

#41 ·
Recon,

Parts about $3300, labor with the 600 mile service was $960. The 600 mile service is normally $725 by itself.
Adrian obviously cut me a good price on the service. Probably since I bought the bike and parts there.
So the bike new $18,100, parts and labor about $4300= $22,400. Still less than the MSRP on that bike. More power, no surges at all anymore, runs cooler, and sounds a little better. Not a bad deal, if you ask me.

#43 ·
sounds like a pretty good deal for what you got, I would love to drop 4300 and have that set up, its just tough when you know that you get a whole bike (mx bike or track bike like and older R6) for the same price. But I guess if you are going have an MV you gotta do it right. I think I will try and get mine hooked up like that this summer. after that there isn't really anything that I want or need to do to it.

#44 ·
Recon,
To get rid of the surge all you need to do is get the race ECU and mid-pipe. I wanted RG3's also. A bit more power and cooler sound. I had to get the Corse headers because the MV mid-pipe won't fit the stock headers. I know Arrow and others have a mid-pipe that'll fit, but I figured what the heck. Might as well go all the way! What's another $500 in the scheme of things.
The surge issue was fun in a straight line, but not leaned over. It's like riding a 500cc 2 stroke. A bit unnerving.
If you've the dough I highly recommend doing the whole system. Of course if you've got a lot of dough, you could do it in titanium. :mouthwate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.