MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you are on the East Coast, I suggest you close this link immediately...It is only going to depress you!

I awoke this morning early, to a warm, pre-dawn Santa Ana breeze. Not too windy, just a warm breath in the air. I fired up the hot tub, and took my four-legged son Leo for a walk. I returned home, soaked in the warm water and watched the sun rise. I packed up my camera, and headed out on the Tamburini. 35 miles to Cars and Coffee...

I guess I rolled out of there before 8am, as I missed Alvin by a few minutes, and headed back to my pad to switch bikes. I dropped the camera and the Tambo off, my card loaded with over 150 shots from Cars and Coffee, and set out for the 65 mile haul to Pro Italia on my trusted R1, with my pocket digital camera in the trunk. I spotted my first ever MV in motion on the 210 freeway, he passed me going east in Arcadia, a red/silver F4...Who was it???

I arrived at PI and filled myself with a cofee and danish, while Samson rolled the Ducati 1098S out for my test ride. It sounded great, felt good, and I was ready to check this machine out...

Samson warned me of the strong brakes, and bid me farewell. The bike felt heavy at slow speeds, and the front brake's initial grab is significant. I rolled out of PI for the prescribed test route, which involves some freeway, some city, and some curvy neighborhood sections. The mirrors will hit your wrists at steep parking lot throws, so you have to watch that. The bike felt good from the start, great power and the suspension feels awesome. The seat is very firm, and although the temp never got above 190F, the seat is a bun warmer! The bike makes it's best power at higher revs, and I can tell it isn't a drag racer, it is definately meant for track-like conditions. It is very narrow at the knees, and wind protection is decent. It absolutely devours corners with a confidence inspiring feel. This bike can haul itself down from speed very quickly, with the strong brakes and awesome clutch...Not too much engine braking, very predictable when you chop the throttle. There is lots of room to move around on the seat, although it gets tall quickly as you slide back on it. All in all, I was quite impressed, this is a very nice motorcycle. I stopped in a neighborhood to get some shots in the sun, then returned to PI to give her back, and share my feedback. 22 miles total, and I was a very happy man.

After chatting with Samson and Jake for a few, I suited back up and decided to head up the Angeles Crest Highway (CA2) to Newcomb's Ranch for lunch. The weather was perfect, sunny, warm, and clear.

It is 28 miles and 111 turns from the 210 freeway to Newcomb's, and the R1 was in its element. The new surface of fresh asphalt is a dream, and runs 3/4rs of the way up, the last section a bit rough and seemed out.
I arrived at Newcomb's with a big grin on my face, and parked next to a carboned out MV F4R...Who's bike is this???

I sat at the bar and watched off-road truck racing on the plasma, as I ate a very delicious Chef's salad and quenched my thirst with an icy Sprite...I finished up, payed my check, and wanted to get back on the road! There was hardly a car or bike on the road, and I carved my way back through the 111 turns, stopping only once for this photo op...

Note the smooth twisty surface in the background, what a dream this road is, and it was my first time EVER to be on two wheels in this canyon...WHAT have I been missing!!!

I fueled up at the Shell station at the 210, and began the 65 mile haul home, grinning inside my helmet the whole way...Warm sunshine fueling my drive to get home.

288 total miles later, I arrived home to an ice cold Sam Adams, and I think I will have another, thank you...

What a perfect day.

1098S and Angeles Crest

Cars and Coffee, 2-17-2007

What to do tomorrow...

Griff
twoeleven

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
What a fantastic post! Thanks for sharing that! :)

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Griff thanks for the info. I didn't realize Pro Italia's 1098 demo arrived. I thought only customer bikes were here.

I spoke to Samson while at Scottsdale MV launch and he said he'd put me on the list and my 1098 would arrive in August - which is incidentally when my first child is due. Sigh. Well, I'll be..heading to Pro Italia tomorrow...and hopefully hate the 1098. :) Does anyone know if Pro Italia take's newborns as a trade-in? :)

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Motojournalist, I am not...It is tough for me to compare, as I love all motorcycles, in their own light. I love riding my Honda NS50, and I love the Tamburini, and my Kawasaki, and, and, and...each for different reasons...So, rather than compare any of the two, let me say this...

The initial "heavy" feeling of the 1098 is similar to the way the F4 feels when I am peddling it around, like to park it. It goes away as soon as you are underway, just a much different feel than the R1 I had arrived on, and I understand the 1098 isn't heavy, just heavier handed than I first expected, walking it with my feet...The transmission is silky smooth, with very little effort required to change gears, and I loved the clutch, feel and lever effort was just to my taste. The brakes, once you understand the way they could seem grabby at parking lot speeds, are superlative, the best brakes I have personally experienced. The front brake is incredible, and the rear comes on softly, not grabby at all. Also, what COULD catch someone off guard on the front at low speeds is not at all an issue when you are moving, and go for a handful...It does just what you want it to (well, what I wanted it to do, anyway!). Mix in a downshift with some clutch and firm brakes, and this thing stops, eyeballs out, but I felt in control the whole time, very reassuring. I was expecting a bit more power at lower revs, but there is plenty once the thing winds up a bit, this bike will easily lift the front under throttle only...It was a very pleasant ride, and I am going to guess that there are going to be alot of very happy 1098S owners out there...I would probably stiffen the suspension setting a bit if I were going to go faster on it, but keep in mind I weigh 215 before I even put my socks on...

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
165 Posts
Twoeleven!

Thanks for writing this nice review.

Regards

Johnnie

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
good read 211....and nice pics! yeeeeeeha.!!!

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
twoeleven said:
Motojournalist, I am not...It is tough for me to compare, as I love all motorcycles, in their own light. I love riding my Honda NS50, and I love the Tamburini, and my Kawasaki, and, and, and...each for different reasons...So, rather than compare any of the two, let me say this...

The initial "heavy" feeling of the 1098 is similar to the way the F4 feels when I am peddling it around, like to park it. It goes away as soon as you are underway, just a much different feel than the R1 I had arrived on, and I understand the 1098 isn't heavy, just heavier handed than I first expected, walking it with my feet...The transmission is silky smooth, with very little effort required to change gears, and I loved the clutch, feel and lever effort was just to my taste. The brakes, once you understand the way they could seem grabby at parking lot speeds, are superlative, the best brakes I have personally experienced. The front brake is incredible, and the rear comes on softly, not grabby at all. Also, what COULD catch someone off guard on the front at low speeds is not at all an issue when you are moving, and go for a handful...It does just what you want it to (well, what I wanted it to do, anyway!). Mix in a downshift with some clutch and firm brakes, and this thing stops, eyeballs out, but I felt in control the whole time, very reassuring. I was expecting a bit more power at lower revs, but there is plenty once the thing winds up a bit, this bike will easily lift the front under throttle only...It was a very pleasant ride, and I am going to guess that there are going to be alot of very happy 1098S owners out there...I would probably stiffen the suspension setting a bit if I were going to go faster on it, but keep in mind I weigh 215 before I even put my socks on...

Griff
twoeleven
hey Griff
that is great info
i really appreciate hearing YOUR comparison of the 1098 to other bikes you've ridden.... very much

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
230 Posts
Wow Griff, that does seem to be the perfect day for most of us, and thanks for taking the time to post this thread.

Great review on the 1098s. It seems like this bike is turning out to be everything is was hyped up to be. That is great news for Ducati and Ducati fans all over the world. :)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Griff,

YOU NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR, IMMEDIATELY :jsm: ! :stickpoke And NO ONE else here has the insight to know why I make this statement, or courage to question your decision. :wtf:

There is only 1 acceptable reason for your faux pas today, and even that logic is flawed. :bandit: To keep the mileage down on the Tamburini IS THE ONLY reason to have returned the Tam to the stable and taken the R1 to PI. Shame on you. :nutkick:

Now be nice to that machine and give it more running time on your next jaunt. :f4:

You're right, I shouldn't have read the post :banghead:

:D , Peter

1 - 20 of 24 Posts