MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 MV 910R How do you adjust the chain??? Do I need a special tool to put on the eccentric??? They say the chain should have .350 slack. Is that measured up or down on the chain? Pushing up the chain moves about .600 if I pull down on the chain its moving about .300, which way do I move the chain? Tried buying a service manual, but MV does not want to help with that. 3 different part numbers were sent to MV from Pro Italia all got bounced as no good. What other tools am I going to need to keep this bike running? Thanks John:ahhh:

·
Registered
311 Posts
There's a tool in the tool kit looks like capt hooks hand but flat. You need to loosen the pinch bolts have the bike on the rear stand and then just use the tool to spin the hub. CAREFUL when you tighten the pinch bolts. They MUST be torked very lightly to spec.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Also there is a diagram on the lower chain guard(plastic shield mounted to bottom of swingarm). This has the Chain slack recommendation. You want the chain to sag below that as noted. Looser is better as too tight can damage the bearings.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
You will absolutely, positively, most definitely, with out a doubt, need a good torque wrench.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
You will absolutely, positively, most definitely, with out a doubt, need a good torque wrench.
+1 and some knowledge--You can seriously kill the bearings if you don't do this right.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found the tool kit, but still a little fuzzy on the chain. I have a couple of torque wrenches, inch and foot lbs. Now to convert metric to standard. Thanks again for the help. Later John

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Don't forget to slowly alternate each bolt, upping the torque back and forth, not all one then the other.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Hhhm

Found the tool kit, but still a little fuzzy on the chain. I have a couple of torque wrenches, inch and foot lbs. Now to convert metric to standard. Thanks again for the help. Later John
Metric to standard ? More like metric to imperial, come on, get with the progress already.:stickpoke

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your talking to a old machinist, who came up using thousandths of an inch. Having Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki all three have manuals made for the US. No conversion needed. When I can't buy a manual, that's a problem. My bike is used 11000 miles the clutch sounds like a dry clutch, I want to see what's going on. Told from PI it will take 4 weeks to get clutch cover gasget, that's a BIGGER problem. After reading horror stories about bearing failure due over tightening of chain or bolts. Just want to make sure things are handled correctly. I bought the bike to ride, not sit in my garage waiting on parts. And I thought Ducati was a F'ed up company. Disappointed after month already. Later John

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Hahaha

Hope you are not 86 John, I repectfully apologise, I give noel shit all the time too about the imperial thing, I had a Old English Tradesman as a young bloke, and he hated everything Electrical as all was metric. Anyway, I have had my clutch covers off more than I can now remember, never used a gasket, Loctite Blue Max or any of those good Brands will do.
Did you download manual okay ? That 910R is one of the most re-liable MV's built , next to the 1000R of course. Welcome to the family and I hope we can help smooth things over for you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was trying to do a quote, for Donsy. No need, I have a fresh box of tissues. I'm just trying to get things figured out. The two arrows pointing together, I don't get. Is it .350 total or .700 total. If it is .700, and others are reading as being .350 total it might explain why there are so many hub bearing failures. Still unclear. Later John

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Hhhmm

John as far as I remember, some of the older model books had it as 6mm and later ones had 9mm total movement, it is a big point of discussion on here, most of us lean toward more being the better option as I am sure you would agree that a too tight chain will put undue strain on the hub bearings. Hope that helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts