MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a little moment this morning, don't know if I made it worse by my actions or I saved myself from coming off, but I thought I'd post the experience as I think it shows just how good the F4 is.

The route home includes a 90 degree left hander which has all kinds of crap on the tarmac road surface, it's a sort of industral wharf area and trucks and all kinds of industrial vehicles use it every day. The road was dry BTW.

I came towards the corner and after braking down to about 20 - 30 mph, tipped the bike in and applyed the power again on the way out. Whether the back wheel spun up cos I had the power on too early or because there was some loose dirt or dust on the road surface, I'm not sure, but the back wheel hopped up and outwards. It seemed like a long way at the time, but was probably only inches in reality. Instead of closing the throttle, I kept it open and when the wheel came down, it gripped again and the bike continued forward as if nothing had happened. It sounds innocuous, but I think if I'd closed the throttle I would have highsided and ended up on my arse. I'm not trying to brag about what a great rider I am, it wouldn't be true anyway, but I was really impressed that the bike just took this kind of treatment in it's stride, I did a similar thing on a track day some years ago and ended up highsiding a FZR600. OOOppps :blush:

·
Registered
225 Posts
john said:
I had a little moment this morning, don't know if I made it worse by my actions or I saved myself from coming off, but I thought I'd post the experience as I think it shows just how good the F4 is.

The route home includes a 90 degree left hander which has all kinds of crap on the tarmac road surface, it's a sort of industral wharf area and trucks and all kinds of industrial vehicles use it every day. The road was dry BTW.

I came towards the corner and after braking down to about 20 - 30 mph, tipped the bike in and applyed the power again on the way out. Whether the back wheel spun up cos I had the power on too early or because there was some loose dirt or dust on the road surface, I'm not sure, but the back wheel hopped up and outwards. It seemed like a long way at the time, but was probably only inches in reality. Instead of closing the throttle, I kept it open and when the wheel came down, it gripped again and the bike continued forward as if nothing had happened. It sounds innocuous, but I think if I'd closed the throttle I would have highsided and ended up on my arse. I'm not trying to brag about what a great rider I am, it wouldn't be true anyway, but I was really impressed that the bike just took this kind of treatment in it's stride, I did a similar thing on a track day some years ago and ended up highsiding a FZR600. OOOppps :blush:
Yep you did the right thing, most times the bike will right itself as long as you don't panic and just keep the throttle steady. I've had this happen loads of times and you did the right thing

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No camera fitted I fear. It would have made a good action shot no doubt. :eek: The tyres were nice and warm Rockethouse, I was on my way home from a 30 mile outing. If I get chance I will set up the camera again sometime and film the particular corner in question so you can all get a better idea. BTW it took ages for me to load the video, but my broadband connection is only half a meg, anyone else have problems viewing it? :blah:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
John,

Yep, it happens occassionally. I attribute it mostly to the rear end torque of these liter BEASTS. It certainly is a brownie moment :eek:nthecan: , easly handled by the MV and a good set of tires. No doubt in my mind that our racing friends experience this commonly :smoking: , and the sense of fear we each experience, and how we handle it, is what separates us into different levels of ability.

Caio, Peter

·
Registered
878 Posts
...glad you're ok John. As they say, "when in doubt, give it gas!".
By the way, I haven't been able to view the video... :later:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Did the right thing IMHO. I was always taught "Having a moment, maintain the motion" ie keep the throttle open. The way it was described to me is that if your rear starts spinning then the rubber will be heating up even more and after a moment or too will reach sufficient 'stickiness' to grip on the loose surface. (Either that or you've now stepped far enough out that you aren't on the diesel spill/dirt any more)

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm having one of those weeks. :wtf: Warm here again today, hot even, so I rolls the bike out for a blast. :) I'm having fun along twisty A roads at.... er slightly illegal speeds, when I come to a straight section, about half to three quarters of a mile long, no other traffic except for a large truck parked at the side of the road towards the other end of the straight.

Throttle gets a tweak and off towards the horizon we go, me and my F4. Halfway down the straight, I see the truck slowly start to move out onto the road. THEN HE STARTS TO TURN RIGHT!

It's remarkable how calm things seem to be at these moments, the slow motion thing etc. I was mentally thinking shall I take to the grass on the left or actually try and slide underneath the truck whilst the blood drained from my right hand digits as I compressed the front brake lever.

You know that Craig Jones guy with his stoppies on the Buell? I think I could have given him a run for his money today. Back end goes light then there's a squeal from the front tyre as the rear gets off the ground. All the time I'm getting closer to the truck as he slowly makes his turn ( I assume oblivious to what's happening to his right.)

The bike has slowed considerably by now, but not enough to avoid the truck unless he moves a bit faster, I'm about 50 yards away as a small patch of tarmac appears between the back of his truck and the verge. That'll be the escape route then, I decide and with the front tyre still squealling like a stuck pig I make the gap.

I don't think the truck driver knew I was there at any stage, he probably is unaware of the fact I was there now. :eek:

Blame. :stickpoke Well, my fault of course, going far to quick on a country road, after what happened last week I should have known better. :cross:

Don't anyone criticise Nissin brakes in front of me though!! F***king marvellous!! :king:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Knock on wood John, glad you made it... :drummer:
Time to take your speed demon to the track and release your inner demons.... :devil: :devilsmok :spank:

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
kamranmarashi said:
Knock on wood John, glad you made it... :drummer:
Time to take your speed demon to the track and release your inner demons.... :devil: :devilsmok :spank:
Here:

I got rear ended... just 5 hours ago, as I was commuting to work.

I am ok, my R6 is slightly damaged... I didn't even drop it, but it was a very unpleasant experience as the driver tried to drive away.

I will start a new thread about it, you will read the details there.

John, please please be careful...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Hells teeth!!! take things easy John!! (and Ben!)

But agree....the MV is just a superb machine, in a nasty incident I think I would prefer to be on it that most other bikes

Stay upright guys

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Kamran you are absolutely right, :) I should know better after 30 years riding on the roads around here. :cross: The problem is the F4 is so bloody good you end up travelling much faster than you realise. :grin: That's not an excuse on my part, it just handles so well and accelerates so quickly it feels like you are travelling much slower than you actually are. I'm going to spend a quiet day flying my helicopter today. Attention all pets, get your tin helmets on NOW!! :laughing:

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hey John pleased to hear that you're ok. Sounds like you had a really close call stay safe the summers just starting and you don't want to be layed up all summer

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
john said:
Kamran you are absolutely right, :) I should know better after 30 years riding on the roads around here. :cross: The problem is the F4 is so bloody good you end up travelling much faster than you realise. :grin: That's not an excuse on my part, it just handles so well and accelerates so quickly it feels like you are travelling much slower than you actually are. I'm going to spend a quiet day flying my helicopter today. Attention all pets, get your tin helmets on NOW!! :laughing:
John, glad to hear you got out of that one ok :) and yes the 1000 is deceptively quick, I've freaked myself out a few times now (coming from an older 750) after twisting the throttle and then noticing the speedo being way above what I had thought I was going.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts