MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 F3 675 3,800 miles.

Has anyone else noted that their bike "hunts" at low revs after the latest map (engine revs increase and decrease at constant throttle).
Not a problem just an observation.

I have though had a scary moment recently. In town doing 35 mph, dropped down a gear coming up to traffic lights (can't remember but probably 6th to 5th - ie very low revs) and the back wheel locked momentarily - enough to cause the rear end to step out of line. I know there's no slipper clutch but wouldn't expect that even if I was nailing it and down shifting at the top end of the revs.

Also had a couple of stalls at take off which seemed extremely abrupt - as if the engine had some how locked and stopped.

Can't replicate it but getting a bit nervous about something similar happening (either of my recent experiences) at speed.

Anyone else ?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I've had a couple of stalls when taking off. Not sure what the gearing is but feels like first is very tall which, if so, will contribute to stalling. Not interested in changing the gearing as I find first is good when playing on tight corners.

I'm a little surprised that you were in 5th or 6th as I find I only use them when in freeway or cruising mode at 100 km/h or more.

My bike is always hunting around town which is usually low revs and 1st gear. Horrible, but then I didn't buy it for commuting.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had a couple of stalls when taking off....

...My bike is always hunting around town which is usually low revs and 1st gear. Horrible, but then I didn't buy it for commuting.
This didn't feel like the typical F3 stall that everyone experiences in the first days of ownership and which just necessitates a few extra revs.

That is exactly the "hunting". Wasn't evident before the remap though and actually I quite like the sound.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yea I'll second the 35mph in 6th. Also without a slipper in that motor a quick change in gear with little to no clutch at can easily cause the rear to step out and slip momentarily. I get it all the time when I go from riding the 800 that I'm used to riding to the 675 without a slipper clutch and I slide it into a few turns during the day.

The recent update we had on the F3 800 didn't do anything noticable.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Also without a slipper in that motor a quick change in gear with little to no clutch at can easily cause the rear to step out and slip momentarily....
I disagree at such low revs and it certainly has never happened in the past. The wheel/ gear box catching up with the engine revs just isn't going to lock the wheel at those low revs.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Rick I have had the same problems. There are several threads dealing with the "stalling on clutch in" issue already. Please read my thread, “Happy anniversary to me, NOT!!!!” where I document my problems and their fixes. Page 4 about halfway down.

The short answer is, your dealer needs to sync the throttles to correct the stalling. As for the “hunting throttle” if your bike is fitted with a charcoal canister have your dealer check to see that the hoses are properly connected and not backwards as they were on my bike.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Stephen. Very interesting - don't know how I missed your post - what a tale of woe !!.

It would certainly explain the back wheel lock - stalled, locked, gripped and bump started itself ?

The only bit that I don't understand if the problems were to be as yours, why has it only just started after almost 4,000 miles. Your problems seem to have mostly been with the original assembly.

What I do know for certain is that my confidence in riding how it should be ridden has diminished somewhat since the occurrence. The last thing I want when riding at speed is to be thinking if something is gonna go wrong. I've subconsciously even taken to riding with my fingers on the clutch like the 2 stroke racers used to do !

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
In my case it’s partly due to poor assembly. However, it’s also partly due to bad manufacturing by the throttle body supplier and poor incoming inspection by MV for not discovering the “out of sync” condition. It’s my understanding that the instructions from the supplier states to install as supplied, no adjustment required.
Also, this latest map, (Feb. 2014) seems to do some weird things to bikes with even minor issues. As you stated, you’ve been dealing with the idle and constant throttle problems for some time but had become use to those. The new map just magnified those issues.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Rick,

I had similar problems with the bike hunting when i had my new map fitted (its on another thread somewhere) but this was on the normal setting, but when i changed to sports mode this disappeared. Which is the opposite of yours.
I have not had stalling issues with this map either.

Just out of intrest, who loaded on your new map.
It was forza at silverstone that did mine.

Kevin.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The "hunting" is evident in all modes on my bike. Forza also did mine. They're an awful long way from Scotland; I won't moan anymore about my 45 mile journey !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts