MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I was invited on a little day out last Sunday to help drop some bikes off at a local vintage rally ........

A friends uncle has a rather special collection of bikes, and he wanted a hand getting them up to a local Vintage Rally. The bikes in question were a 1939 Series A Vincent Rapide, a 1949 Series B Rapide, a 1950 Series C Rapide, a Series D Rapide (whose age I cannot remember), and a pair of Vincent Comets. The bikes were then also ridden around the show ring. After the show, we went for a spin down to the river (the long way) through the lanes to meet his family for a picnic and then back home.

During the course or this I got to ride the Series B (lovely) the Series C (probably my favourite) and the series D (scary, as it had managed to get oil over it's tyres and the roads were now wet :wtf: )
They were all surprisingly easy to ride and also surprisingly rapid on the road, perhaps worryingly so considering the drum brakes all round!! Remembering the right foot one up three down gearchange wasn't too difficult (perhaps thanks to having had a couple of right-foot change bikes in the past) but kick-starting a 1000cc twin needs a "certain technique" that could be found a touch lacking :blush:

Anyway, some photo's ....

1939 Series A Rapide

1949 Series B Rapide

1950 Series C Rapide

All in line with the Series D and Comet's

and down by the river

To put in perspective the generosity of the owner letting us ride the wee beasties, a Series A is worth more than my house, and he seemed to think wwe were doing him a favour by riding them to the show and giving them a run!

On top of these, he has another seven twins in pieces, waiting time to rebuild, including a couple of Black Shadows, a Black Prince and/or a Black Knight ....... he has owned the Series B since 1969 (when he bought it for £85!) and it has something like 400k miles on the speedo. They all get ridden, none of them are garage queens, and all have been tailored to suit the riders over the years.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Thats great and I think You had a great day which You will might never forget.
I'm really happy for You.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You had it right, a dream day.... The Vincent's (like our MVs) are motorcycle art. State of the art for their time.......what a great time to see and ride them!

Seen some amazing ones at AHRMA vintage bike show in past for bike week at Daytona, and Egli Vincent's too.....classic no compromise design....

·
Registered
118 Posts
What a wonderful day! You had perfect weather and riding countryside, and great companionship. And fantastic bikes!
I really love old bikes of that era. Thanks for sharing the photos. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts