MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I visited the Museo Agusta in Cascina Costa a few weeks ago.

It isn't enormous like some car musea but the quality of the exhibits and the environment and the friendly staff take it to a very, very high level.

Actually, staff is the wrong word to describe the people who run it. They're a group of volunteers, mostly retired Agusta employees, some are still working at the helicopter factory next door.
When they start talking about the olden days, the bikes, the helicopters and the Agusta family you can clearly see that they're a very passionate bunch of guys and girls :)

There are lots of exhibits from the early days in aviation onwards.

If you speak (a bit of) Italian or if you have someone with you who does and can translate, you'll have a great time. I spent the entire afternoon there.

Here are some photos. It's not all there is. To see the rest you got to go to the Museo yourself :)

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Thank You Johann for the great report. Yes in deed the Museo GLA Agusta is a real treasure. I was many times there, showed it to many peoples. Peoples who saw the displays of Guzzi, Ducati, Aprilia, Bimota etc. and weren't fans of Agusta. But once they saw the display and felt the enthusiasm / emozione they where always deeply impressed and said unisono that it is the greatest of all the italian motorcycle manufacturers museo's. I heard always that they didn't even know about and it is laying not on the usual tour from the alps towards Roma. There are many more photos about the museo in my album as well.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You Johann for the great report. Yes in deed the Museo GLA Agusta is a real treasure. I was many times there, showed it to many peoples. Peoples who saw the displays of Guzzi, Ducati, Aprilia, Bimota etc. and weren't fans of Agusta. But once they saw the display and felt the enthusiasm / emozione they where always deeply impressed and said unisono that it is the greatest of all the italian motorcycle manufacturers museo's. I heard always that they didn't even know about and it is laying not on the usual tour from the alps towards Roma. There are many more photos about the museo in my album as well.
Emozione...you found the word that describes it best, Ralf.

·
2,156 Posts
That post Mr O is absolutely STUNNING :drummer::drummer::drummer::drummer::drummer::drummer: and made my mouth water:jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm: and ...................in particular, this photo:yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo: roll on Xmas :naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
nice pics and definitely on the must do list.

I have a hanckering for a MV 98 similar to the dark one. There is someting about the bike which is appealing. I knew that the MV 98 was going to be called a Vespa but MV had to change the name hence MV 98 but I didn't realise some bikes were sold as Vespas. Is the museum bike an early production bike?

·
Registered
576 Posts
IIRC the 'Vespa' in the museum is a very early 2 speed pre selector gearbox bike. There were very few of these bikes made. The non 'vespa' badged bikes were also available in 2 or 3 speed.

There was a very rapid developement going on at MV in the late 1940's with the 98 (and also the 125 three speed, almost identicle) bikes being offered in different forms almost every month!!

It must have been a very interesting time to have worked at the factory. I have spoken to a few guys who were around then and they have very fond memories of the very early 2 stroke MV days.

Two stoke MV's have a whole history of there own in MV folk lore and are nearly always dismissed in favour of the more glamourous 4 strokes.

One day i will get around to writting a book on them..........maybe when i retire:)

Dorian.

ps; Russ. Did you get the invoice from Lois re the parts?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Thanks for that Dorian. That's interesting to know about the 2 strokes. I think you need to retire and start writing the book.

cheers

·
Registered
832 Posts
Funnily enough I met an old Italian gent by the name of Denis last Sunday up at the Ace. I had gone up for an early breakfast to give The Flying Ant a run and pray the clutch didn't seize up again! When I came back to my bike this chap was sitting there next to it. He waxed lyrical for about 40 mins on his youth spent working at the MV factory building, among other models, my TR! He was so happy to see the bike and asked me to start her up. He was full of stories. He lives in Greenford, West London and said he'd look out for me next time. If I see him again I'll get his number....

·
Registered
576 Posts
Jon.

I've met that guy as well.

Had a couple of my MV's on display for a magazine at the Ace Italian Day. He was over the moon to see the bikes and i had a long conversation with him, but forgot to get his details. If you do see him again please see if you can get his address etc as i would love to interview him.

All the best.

Dorian.

·
Registered
90 Posts
:mouthwate Wow, how awesome!!! It would be amaizing to see these works of art. Thanks so much for the brilliant pics.
:yo:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts