·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the guy IS very classy:

Rossi: Class Act In Triumph & Defeat
by staff
Tuesday, October 31, 2006
Valentino Rossi is proving himself to be a champion no matter what the point standings reflect.

Nicky Hayden won the MotoGP championship on Sunday afternoon and Rossi has been nothing but a class act in defeat. His humility might be an example to several other past champions and has brought an even deeper self-awareness for the seven time world champion.

"I thought I was invincible, but that's only true for comic book heroes," Rossi told the Italian press.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I think you are right Greg, truly great champions have to do more than just win races. I have always been a Rossi fan but I'm pleased to see the way he has conducted himself after last Sunday. :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Odanata posted this on another thread

Valentino Rossi (13th; +38.546)
Of course this is a big disappointment for me because to arrive at the final race with an eight-point advantage and then not win the title is a disaster. Basically I made two mistakes today - one was at the start and then the second one was the crash. It has been a very emotional season, with some great moments, some bad luck and now some mistakes. But this is racing. All I can say now is a big 'congratulations' to Nicky because he is a great guy, a great rider and he is the World Champion because he has been the best this year. I have known him a long time, I know his family well and even though I am disappointed I am also very happy for them. It has been a great fight with him this year - not like in the past with other riders when there have always been some polemics - and we have great respect for each other. I want to say a huge thank you to Yamaha, to all my team and engineers and to everyone else involved, they've done an amazing job this year and now I am looking forward to working towards next season with the 800; I am sure it will be another exciting season and another big battle!
I have even more respect for him after reading that!

Could you imagine if it was Biaggi? There would be blame placed everywhere else other than with himself.

Rossi is a true champion!

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
john said:
I think you are right Greg, truly great champions have to do more than just win races. I have always been a Rossi fan but I'm pleased to see the way he has conducted himself after last Sunday. :)
i'll admit that i wasn't very familiar with this side of him...
i like it a lot
a million other athletes could take a very valuable lesson from him
and i hope they will

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Valentino Rossi (13th; +38.546)
Of course this is a big disappointment for me because to arrive at the final race with an eight-point advantage and then not win the title is a disaster. Basically I made two mistakes today - one was at the start and then the second one was the crash. It has been a very emotional season, with some great moments, some bad luck and now some mistakes. But this is racing. All I can say now is a big 'congratulations' to Nicky because he is a great guy, a great rider and he is the World Champion because he has been the best this year. I have known him a long time, I know his family well and even though I am disappointed I am also very happy for them. It has been a great fight with him this year - not like in the past with other riders when there have always been some polemics - and we have great respect for each other. I want to say a huge thank you to Yamaha, to all my team and engineers and to everyone else involved, they've done an amazing job this year and now I am looking forward to working towards next season with the 800; I am sure it will be another exciting season and another big battle!
although I got that quote from the Yamaharacing.com newsletter, you can see him say pretty much the same words in an interview on motogp.com just after the race, Rossi was clearly deflated, but his expression and words moved me deeply.

remember the saying "the higher you climb, the harder you fall"?

the more I think about it, the more I think it is truely amazing that Rossi, competing in motorcycle racing at the highest level for so long seems to still have so much sincere enthusiasm for the sport, so much child like fun while doing it, and manages to stay down to earth, and even after losing the championship still have so much grace and honor...

as a father, I would love to know how his parents raised such a well rounded human being.

Rossi is the living saint of motorcycle racers :yo: :hitit: :drummer: :guitarist :drummer:

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
odonata said:
the more I think about it, the more I think it is truely amazing that Rossi, competing in motorcycle racing at the highest level for so long seems to still have so much sincere enthusiasm for the sport, so much child like fun while doing it, and manages to stay down to earth, and even after losing the championship still have so much grace and honor...
I know that's a big part of why I like Rossi so much. Mladin might have been the greatest thing since sliced bread, and sure you can respect his abilities, but he is as likeable as a second big toe.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A

·
0 Posts
Greg
im very happy you posted this thread simply because maybe there are people out there who just like rossi simply because everyone else does, and who probably don't know what he is really like. Im been a fan, like many since his debut in 125's, have every book ever made of him, all his calendars, toys you name it, and i knew he would respond this way after loosing the title
he is all class
he is a true professional
and he admits his mistakes
not many riders do that

so greg ,thanks
and now post your favourite movie and why in the thread yuou havent visited yet...good man

·
Registered
571 Posts
The Rossi comments are all true! Although confident, Rossi has never been arrogant.... even after having every reason to be!

He's always been top class and most importantly has fun and enjoys himself! This is why he's so popular!

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
anothermvfanatic said:
Greg
im very happy you posted this thread simply because maybe there are people out there who just like rossi simply because everyone else does, and who probably don't know what he is really like. Im been a fan, like many since his debut in 125's, have every book ever made of him, all his calendars, toys you name it, and i knew he would respond this way after loosing the title
he is all class
he is a true professional
and he admits his mistakes
not many riders do that

so greg ,thanks
and now post your favourite movie and why in the thread yuou havent visited yet...good man
this is a very nice post from you
and i'm glad i am learning more about your idol
he IS a great guy

and....
i just posted my favorite movie at your thread
sorry that it took me so long to do so

·
Registered
409 Posts
ive read alot of greggs posts an hes is first class person , but just for the sake of converstoin i wanna play devils advocate here on this point . being able to go fast in racing can be said is only the ticket to the dance . it is one part of a whole . there is so much marketing behind these guys that we in america dont even see because , well our culture has no love for this sport . rossi has no choice but to do what he did he is a MARKETING MASTER as well as a strong rider . take away the vail of marketing , the passion to be upfront that drives these guys would spill over and ud see the truth . i have stood next to a guy that i was racing against . we both wanted to break eachother legs but it was in our best interests to be social . i d have to bet if we could take big buisness away things would be different .rossi had to conquer italy he had no choice but to go after biaggi the way he did , plus biaggi is an ass so rossi is justified . but hayden's dad is there every weeked watching, keeping his boy in check , the kid is pure . rossi cant go after him to try to mess with his head hell come off looking bad , its all games . rossi tried to mid season an he came off bad . hayden gave up a almost 2 second lead in a race an gave it back to edwards , an rossi was quick to point out hayden cant lead , he can only follow . he retracted his statement an said "me or my teamate are in no position to talk about any rider we are down 40 points ". he tried to get under hayden's skin an make him push so hopefully hed fall . im sure rossi is a great guy i ve read his book he seemslike a solid person , but what we see isnt what he really feels . i like that next year looks like one hell of a yr for motogp . since i brought up the topic of marketing i wanna put out there that Micheal Jordan needs to be on tv going nascar is for old men an idiots. these guys sit in a chair with a wheel infront of them an go left for hundreds of miles . he needs to be saying , look at my product , look at the bravery an skill an passion that goes into a task thats as complicated as flying a airplane but it is stuck on the ground . expose nascar for the simple minded thing it really is . he needs to hang his nuts out there an ride his name an push out sport to the another level . well call it tyhe mc hammer rule of marketing . when mc hammer was huge these other guys came an out an said if listen to this music ur just as gay as he is . an he was done . it was the founders of gangstar rap . all marketing launched it

·
Registered
150 Posts
spalding12 said:
"I thought I was invincible, but that's only true for comic book heroes," Rossi told the Italian press.
[/size][/font]
Well. it's not exactly what he said, but almost! He said "Of course I would be pleased to win this championship too and end the 1st era of 4 stroke MotoGP as the only winner ever, so I could say I really was invincible on 990cc bikes and become a sort of comics superhero, but that kind of speeches are fit for fantasy and comics stuff only. All along the season anyone made mistakes, and this time it was me. I cannot blame anyone, on the contrary I lay down on my knees and thank Yamaha and all the team for everything they have done for me until now."
Besides he also added that Nicky deserved to win and that it's just fine like it is.
Very classy, indeed...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts