MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I'm from Belgium and i have a question which i need to solve!

Last year in september i sold my Ducati 996. After that i had the possibility to do a test with a Brutale 910S, Italian weekend at the MV Store. All i can say that it was a true rush of adrenaline! Man, that is trully an experience. But...........
I took an option on the bike which was the demo from the store.
The week after the buyer for my 996 didn't showed up with the money so the deal on the Brutale plunged.

A few weeks later the 996 was sold, unfortunatly the Brutale too!
No bike for some time i thaught but when the pictures from the Ducati 1098 were released i had to see it in real life before i could make my decision.

So later in januari i saw the bike (1098) for the first time in real life.
I was sold and i signed the order. Now i have it since july.

Yesterday it was again the Italian weekend as it is every year and i had the change to ride the Brutale 910 R. I said to myself: don't do it, remember last year, so i gently passed the occasion.
Later i had another talk with the shops owner and he told me this:

Hey, if you 're still interested in a Brutale 910, i will swap mine (910R, black, Ti full exhaust, 6 months old, ..... awesome) for your 1098 (base)
Now i can tell you all i hadn't have much of a sleep this night........

What should i do?
The 1098 is power, power and power, handels perfect and looks very racy.
The Brutale however is a pure kick and design art.

P.S.: sorry for my poor englisch.....

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
First off, your English is fine.

You need to ride the Brutale 910R from the shop owner. Once you do you will have the answer you seek.

It really isn't any more difficult than that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Dunno. The 1098 is probably one of the best looking motorbikes ever built. So is the Brutale. The decision is not too difficult though. Do you prefer the wrist killer clip on handlebars or you would like to sit a little more straight? Do you use it for weekend rides or go to the track? The 1098 is as supersport bike while the brutale is a naked. I couldnt compare the two. But IMO the 1098 is a new bike, and very popular so it is a better investment, and easier to sell than a Brutale.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I agree with saab, but I still think that a BrutaleR with full TI is much more impressive than an 1098 in terms of value for the money. Assuming he doenst have to pay anything else just his Ducati for teh BrutaleR. We are talking here the base version of the 1098.
you will easily find a 1098 if you change your mind not so sure about the BrutaleR. And if you think the Brutale R is very similar to the 910S then you are wrong.
So my point is, try the BrutaleR and say goodbye to your ducati!
best wishes.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
if you hadnt ridden either bike before, and you had both infront of you. which one would you go out on first.....

·
Registered
922 Posts
You not happy with your 1098? If you need bragging rights, keep it. Otherwise, ride the brute and see which one you really fancy. Hell, they're probably so different, you could get them both (eventually).

·
Registered
349 Posts
Asking this question on a MV site is going to give you some biased answers.
Although there are many members here that own both bikes that you mention. I am fortunate to have a 999 and 910R in my garage, and its a tuff question because i have no idea which i would give up if i had to (hope that situation never comes). Both bikes are a blast to ride, both are very diffrent, V-twin vs I-4, Superbike vs Naked. Bottom line is, which riding position do you enjoy riding more? Have you had a naked bike before? Are you borred with the 1098? Usually one would sell 1098 to go for a F4, or vice versa. You debating a 1098 vs 910R makes me think that you are looking for a more comfortable riding position, and if that is the case than the 910R all the way.

Like the members said, take the 910R for a spin, and go with the one that moves you more, either way, neither bike will dissappoint.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I cant believe you have the "itch" after having the 1098 for only three months...
I believe the Brutale has you !!!!
Resistance is futile ! ! !

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Its the mistress that you fooled around with that you want! Not the mail order bride you settled for!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Very good English, and I'll try to help you out. Last March I went to Chicago to buy a new 1098. The dealer had me ride the Brutale before I bought, and like you I came away impressed with the Brutale.

So, I found out the new one's were going to be orange and ordered one from Corse in Wisconsin. Well, the orange never came and I all I heard was "Cagiva NA says two weeks". Well all summer long I waited. And finally I bought a left over 2006 (they didn't make any in 2007).

I can honestly say I've been disappointed in many ways with the Brutale...but there is a caveat in that there is much to like about the Brute too. The sound when accelerating, the ride isn't that bad, the handling is great even though the brakes lack grip and feel.

But like some and unlike others on here I've had several problems that shouldnt' come with a limited production high-end motorcycle. Maybe you'll get one that was made on Tuesday instead of Friday and maybe you won't have a bit of a problem. And yes, I'm going to keep my Brutale, but were I doing it today I'd probably opt for the Duc if I could only have one bike. One ride on the Brutale is not enough, so I'd suggest you ride one in different settings. On the road, in town, on the track if possible.

The Ducati 1098 is a stunning motorcycle and from all reports it's a huge success. I know I certainly enjoyed my test ride on it. And the new Duc's have twice as long between service intervals, which makes costs half as much.

I like both bikes, but as you should know, Ducati is the only motorcycle with a soul.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Search the board and read the comments carefully. You'll read contradictory comments from different owners and you'll even read contradictory comments from the same owner (It's great... It's nothing but problems... I'm selling it... I'm keeping it...). Take it all with a grain of salt.

Much of your happiness will be a factor of your dealer and your attitude towards things mechanical. If tiny problems frustrate you so badly you'll want to sell the bike in a fit of pique or sue the distributor because it ran out of gas, perhaps it's not the bike for you. Perhaps bikes aren't for you. If you've got the least bit of mechanical aptitude, a modicum of common sense, a halfway decent dealer and you're more inclined to get a problem fixed than rant for days, you'll have the time of your life with a Brute. Go for it!!!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
What did he say? Can't understand............ He he!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hopefully you can ride both back to back. That really settles a lot right there. I was recently considering buying a 1990s vintage Ducati for fun and nostalgia (I had a few back then) but after test riding them I couldn't believe what a rack they were...I'd completely forgotten how inhumane they could be. I ended up getting a KTM Duke II instead...I know, totally different. But damn, is it fun to hop on...complements the Brutale well. I never would have guessed I was going to go out and get another KTM...but the proof is in the riding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys!!!!
I will take the advices received from you all in my head, shake it one or twice and hope by next weekend to make my decision .......

Oh and for dearpixel: it has nothing to do with bragging rights! I'm in no financial position to have them both. Otherwise i would'nt have posted this question. :devilsmok

·
Registered
312 Posts
I was there to and ride a brutale910 Gladio myself (i'm from Oostende/Belgium and the bike also comes from citymoto)
witch brutale was it that you want to trade with ? is it that :mouthwate full Gladio Brutale ?
my first & previous bike was also a naked (Raptor1000) bike so i'm not the right person to tell you what to buy, its kinda depends on what you like to drive , with clip-ons and lots of plastic or just plain naked and take all the wind on your shoulders (like real man !!)
I have mine for 2 years now and put 32k km on it, this bike never leaves home i tell you ;)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Hi,
I'm also from Belgium, and I tell you "THE BRUTALE" of course.
Send me PM with coordinates, and I'll contact you, if you wish.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After reading all about the new 980 and 1080R, i'm keeping my Duc 1098.
I will see what the future brings........
Have fun you guys with the Brutes and keep it safe!

·
Registered
5 Posts
fazer6 said:
Get the Brutale, no question!
I live in Las Vegas. I may purchase a 910R from the local dealer. I was wondering if you have had any overheating problems in AZ? Second you also have lots of straight roads. Have you been able to adjust the suspension so you can ride the bike in twisty roads and not have the suspension beat up you on the freeway. I noticed from your photos you have done some traveling on the bike which means have lots of time on the freeway with the bike. As resident of Navada with the same weather as Arizona I would appreciate ahy other thought about riding the bike is a hot climate. I also own a BMW1200LT and I am selling a Moto Guzzi Griso. It is a great bike but it has no power. Any observations would be helpful.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts