MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my 910R in the dealers for the 600 mile sevice,ive been told this is a 9 hour job,can any one tell me what they do for the 9 hours, havent got a manuel yet.this must be the time it takes to strip off all the plastic ,not service work is it.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The 600 mile service on all MV's includes a valve check and adjustment...

Hope you got it free!!!!

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Mine (with valve adj) cost $467. I think that 9 hours is the standard for worst case. I have heard that valve adjustments are rare but they need to check in case.

Interesting, my dealer called MV to ask about "pitting" on the cam lobes. MV told them not to be concerned - they will smooth by the 8000 mi service. Has anyone heard of this?

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
My 600 Mile service on my 2005 F4-1000 took a little over 6 hours. I watched the entire process. Valves were in spec and did not need any adjustment. If they did, I could see another hour+ of time being spent.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was told by dealer that the price with parts may be £600 ,juan i thought you got your bike from 3X you should know that nothing free there,i just cant see where this amount of money goes on the first service,my work mates think iam barmy paying this kind of cash for an oil change and valve check, any one wana buy it !

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If there is pitting on cam lobes they need replacing the hardness has gone,or faulty, rapid wear will follow

·
Registered
281 Posts
Are you sure?

heno42666 said:
If there is pitting on cam lobes they need replacing the hardness has gone,or faulty, rapid wear will follow
I was assured that it is "normal" and that miles will smooth them out without further issues. The tech did record this in the service records, just in case. Should I be worried? I asked if they took a picture of them, for the record, but they had not.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been in the motor trade ( trucks ) for many years now and if i strip a truck engine and found pitting yes i would be concerned and replace, i would not be happy to be told that they will smooth out. The lobes are hardend metal this stops it from wearing if it can `smooth out` then it its wearing,ask these guys in here i dont know about high performance engines, but pitting is not good.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
spalding12 said:
the shop in miami (florida USA) charges over $115.00/hour
really pathetic
makes owning a ferrari seem cheap :smoking:
My 600 mile service was 400+, which incuded oil change and valve check. No valves needed to be adjusted. Service department is seeing very little valve movement even on the second service.

Lorenzo

·
Registered
281 Posts
"Pitting" term misuse....

heno42666 said:
I have been in the motor trade ( trucks ) for many years now and if i strip a truck engine and found pitting yes i would be concerned and replace, i would not be happy to be told that they will smooth out. The lobes are hardend metal this stops it from wearing if it can `smooth out` then it its wearing,ask these guys in here i dont know about high performance engines, but pitting is not good.
My reference to "pitting" reveals my ignorance. I understand from the mechanic and from JamesC's inputs (http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2191) that it is more of a depthless etching. The cams remain smooth, just have the appearance of etches beneath the surface.

Sorry for the confusion. :blush:

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
My service took 8 hours, but only cost $370.

However, it is estimated that the 7500 mile service now sheduled will run ~$700 :bawling:

EDIT: I believe the jump in price is due to the expected valve adjustments.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts