MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently bought a forum members 910r. he replaced the 43 tooth rear sprocket with a 41. I'm curious what rear sprocket people on here on running and why.... thoughts?.... thanks.

·
Administrator
20,107 Posts
Still using original. Smaller rear will give lower rims at cruising speed, but I see no need for that personally.

Remember, if you change gearing ratio the speedometer/odometer will be incorrect. This can be remedied with an aftermarket speedo adjuster (yellow box or speedo healer).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks.. I've regeared previous bikes and have done a speedo healer install on one of them. I'm currently leaning towards going back to the factory 43.

im just looking for personal opinions... so that's 2 people now for 43... I'll update the board.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Personal preference. Unless you think the gearing feels too tall with the 41 that is on it, I wouldn't change just to put it back to stock. Personally I thought the stock gearing was too short, so I'm running a 40. Still has plenty of power/torque everywhere, makes the roll on acceleration a bit smoother in low gears (tight roads), and brings the cruise rpm on the freeway down to a reasonable range. I didn't bother changing the speedometer correction; the indicated speed is still within a few mph of actual, which is close enough for me to not care.
-Ruben

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it takes all of 15 minutes to change spockets... i went back to 43 for now... thanks.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Phew

it takes all of 15 minutes to change spockets... i went back to 43 for now... thanks.
Lucky the chain was long enough :).
Make sure you don't overtension that chain and the hub pinch bolts mate.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lucky the chain was long enough :).
Make sure you don't overtension that chain and the hub pinch bolts mate.
well I went back to the factory sprocket... I would think the factory chain would clear.... I left a good amount of slack while on the stand... it still had some slack on the ground while sitting on it.... I tightened the two hub bolts to 22.5 foot pounds... that should be 30Nm... can anyone verify that?

thanks for all the help.

·
Super Moderator
22,507 Posts
30 N.M = 22.1 Ft.lbs

1 foot pounds = 1.35581795 newtons meter

·
Super Moderator
22,507 Posts
Yes, you should be OK. But, those pinch bolts are better if torqued to the low end of the range. They put undue stress on the rear hub and its bearings.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
?

goat;
MV's min of 28Nm is 20.6 lbft

i've posted what that torque level does to the stock hub bearing (3810-2RS)

i ran less until i replaced the stock POS hub with on from Mitch......i still run less......the hub isn't going anywhere

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey goat, how's the Brutale running? I am still getting use to the F4R but miss the sound of the Brutale at idle(that rump-rump sound like a V8 with a cam). My F4R doesn't do that. Ron

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey Ron!

it's going well.... haven't been able to ride it other than to get gas the other day due to the snow... but it's on the trickle charge and its been started every few days or so.... got more carbon fiber on the way I'll be sure to post pics when it all arrives.

thanks for all your help again with the smooth purchase.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I faced this same situation when I bought my 07 Brutale. The former owner put a 41 on there. I went back to a 43 and new chain and havent looked back since. :brutale:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts