MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty surprised. my coating on the front forks of my 910R FORKS IS WEARING OUT. THE TOP INCH OR SO IS RUBBING OFF. SUCKS. ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS TROUBLE?

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Doubtful it's a problem, other than aesthetic. The coatings (ti-nitride or teflon) are clear; they color them for appearances, and the color does tend to wear off, but this in no way affects the performance.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am in a hotel in Mississippi and am sure not happy. I will post pics as soon as I get in but aesthetically it looks cheap. 3K and bam. Spalding it is like an inch chrome ring on top of the black coating. I will be raising some hell. talked to a buddy of mine who does track days on his r1 and he said it could be trouble. said it goofs with "Stiction". I can't really comment on that but I don't like the new look of my forks, at least not at 3K

·
Registered
268 Posts
The only problem is that you're not polishing the entire length of the leg. Push it harder and use all the travel! Let me see you bottom that baby!

Seriously...what you are experiencing is normal. It's possible you experience accelerated wear from riding in dusty environments. You can clean your fork legs with a rag and silicone lubricant or a hard surface conditioner, and clean your dust wipers, to keep things slick, shiny, clean, and stiction-free.

Like with anodized rims, over time rocks and road debris will nick and damage your fork lowers, and the wear will be especially evident with dark coatings. But unless you have a gouge that is causing the fork oil to weep out from under the seal, it's not really a problem.

Don't panic! I often wonder why some people are obsessed with preventing bluing of their pipes-- I think it looks cool and shows the bike is being used. Same with your coatings.

Please post pictures.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I've bottomed my F4 twice now and it sure does go bang!

The first time was on a short gravel road near where I work, it came as a complete surprise the other time was out in the woods near a lake, just didn't realize how deep the ruts were!!!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Does MV do a trail bike!!!!???

LOL ! # $ &

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm, I still am not too happy and I called Faracci and they told me that my forks were bent. I have not bent my forks. what the hell. 50mm forks. Spare me.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
clandestinejinx said:
hmm, I still am not too happy and I called Faracci and they told me that my forks were bent. I have not bent my forks. what the hell. 50mm forks. Spare me.
Sounds like they're trying to claim abuse to void the warranty

·
Registered
268 Posts
Bent? Do you know how hard it is to bend forks legs, especially 50mm fork legs? It's darn near impossible. If you bent them, then you would have crashed hard enough to total the bike.

Perhaps they mean that the fork legs are not aligned with the axle, which is common when removing and replacing the front wheel if not done properly. In this event, the forks are not bent, but are not exactly parallel to each other, which creates excessive stiction and could cause premature wear.

When you RR a front wheel, make sure you iron out the front by bouncing the front suspension before tightening the axle pinch bolts.

Could this be the cause, and what Ferracci was referring to???

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
clandestinejinx said:
Amazing they can tell all that over the telephone. Almost clairvoyant, really. Maybe they know where I left my sunglasses...

·
Registered
443 Posts
JamesC said:
I was being serious! I've seen the bike in person and don't remember any damage to any area of the forks.
I was being serious too - but I've never seen the bike and don't know anyone on the list other than from what's posted. The original post stated a defect just showed up with only 3K on the bike and failed to mention the little fact that in that 3k he had dumped it. May be unrelated but at least gives some understanding to the dealer's statement.

Tom

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Nah, that was all on the side and slow. never saw the forks. Front rim is immac! I will send some photos of the lost coating. My city is all swampy right now cause it is rainy and the bike is tied down, the ware happens where the fork travel occurs during normal riding.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts