MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i am sure that I have opened up a whole can of worms on this one. I have read thru alot of the posts here reading up on the bikes. It seems like everyone is very happy with the Brutale.

I have not owned street bikes and come from a motorcross background. I purchased a 06 Buell XB9SX (my first street bike)some months ago. I love the bike, lots of torque and what seems like power as well. It turns extremely well. I have done the race ECM and exhaust on it to try and extract everything I could. Out of all this.....it still leaves me hanging and wanting a little more.

I guess my main question is to those of you who have lots of experience riding different bikes over the years. What can I expect out of a 910 or 910R. I consider them like the Ferraris of the sport bike world. Cost is a factor but I realize that the 910's and R's are a whole different animal. If these are bikes that are loaded with performance and fun..then great I will slap the cash down right away to hold one until they arrive. I will not be able to test ride one so i have to make the right choice which makes it even harder. Thats why I need your comments

I also ride about 50 miles a day to work and back. Some of this is heavy Houston TX traffic.

Any thoughts, comments or insite would be great

Chris

·
Registered
798 Posts
Txfatcat said:
Well i am sure that I have opened up a whole can of worms on this one. I have read thru alot of the posts here reading up on the bikes. It seems like everyone is very happy with the Brutale.

I have not owned street bikes and come from a motorcross background. I purchased a 06 Buell XB9SX (my first street bike)some months ago. I love the bike, lots of torque and what seems like power as well. It turns extremely well. I have done the race ECM and exhaust on it to try and extract everything I could. Out of all this.....it still leaves me hanging and wanting a little more.

I guess my main question is to those of you who have lots of experience riding different bikes over the years. What can I expect out of a 910 or 910R. I consider them like the Ferraris of the sport bike world. Cost is a factor but I realize that the 910's and R's are a whole different animal. If these are bikes that are loaded with performance and fun..then great I will slap the cash down right away to hold one until they arrive. I will not be able to test ride one so i have to make the right choice which makes it even harder. Thats why I need your comments

I also ride about 50 miles a day to work and back. Some of this is heavy Houston TX traffic.

Any thoughts, comments or insite would be great

Chris
There is no way I would plop down this much dough for a bike without test riding it. I made that mistake with the Ducati monster and I ended up hating my decision and taking a 2k hit trading for the Brutale. Why can't you test one? The 910R I can understand. But you should be able to test ride the 910. If most of your commute is in heavy, stop and go traffic, the Brutale will not be happy. This bike needs twisty, empty backroads to be be happy. It needs to be opened up. This is just my opinion, of course. I am sure you will get many other opinions here.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well maybe i should re state that. I drive to work every day but i usually drive between 70-90mph on the HOV lane i dont ever sit in stop and go traffic for too long. On the nights and weekends, I am out in the country on the twisties for sure.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Doesn't your local MV dealer allow test rides? I have test ridden the Brutale 2x and the F4 once here in L.A.
IMHO, you should go and find a 910 for test ride, just remember unlike your Buell, the 910 is a 4 not a twin, it wants to be revved. just want to warn you, it is addictive...

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Hi Txfatcat

I had a couple of Buell's, first the XB9R then the XB12R. I really liked them, despite everybody telling me the Harley lump would vibrate itself to bits and piss oil everywhere, they never did. They handled well and were light and good looking IMO. The clutch was heavy and the engine did run out of revs too soon. My overall conclusion was great bike for twisties but could do with another 15 - 20 mph on the top end to enable it to live with Japanese 600's.

As Odonata says, the transition from V twin to in-line four is the biggest thing you will have to overcome. The Brutale will be far revvier than your Buell but for a 50 mile commute I think it would be OK. I don't know if you can get the 750 Brutale anymore, but they would probably be more than adequate for what you have in mind. This may sound sacreligious on a MV site, but have you tried the XB12S? :eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I have. one of my friends had a 12 and its great. My nine will keep head to head but he runs away from me when we hit about 90-100. This is the same for my friend with the R6....i can keep up with him until the top end and he pulls away.

One of the other things is last weekend I purchased a new FZ6 for my wife. On the way home I was very impressed how smooth it was. I think that was one of the turning points for me. It does want to be revved also but have to wait for the 600 mile breakin point

·
Registered
44 Posts
I sold my XB9s right after i test rode the brutale ,the buells handle well but are a bit agricultural.The brute is the best bike I've ever had ,in my eyes its the whole package.Get yourself a brute ,you wont be sorry,go on get one :stickpoke

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
As far as test riding, coming from a Buell, you definitly wouldn't need the test ride. I could see maybe coming from a Monster, as they're of similar structure, but I came from a Superhawk, basically, Hondas version of the XB.

Coming from a twin, you do miss the TQ, but you also don't miss not being able to rev the hell outta the motor. Thing is, you'll be so used to hearing the low RPM cruising/sound of a twin, that when you ride around on the Brutale, riding around at 5K RPM sounds like you're near redline and the engine is screaming for you to upshift :laughing:

The Brutale is definitly going to be alot more fun than the Buell. It'll have more grunt overall, and will be TONS smoother. Not only power wise, but the bike itself. It's the reason that FZ6 felt so smooth. Twins just ride rough, especially a Buell. Everything feels smooth coming off one of them(twins), and when you hop onto the Brutale, it even exponentially gives that impression...

I'll tell you one thing though, had I had the opportunity to ride the Brutale before I plopped down cash, it would have only solidified my decision more than it already was. I mean, hell, I drove 5-6 hours to buy a bike I didn't test ride...my mind was already made up. And I only bought a 750......

·
Registered
53 Posts
I ride my friend's modified Buell once in a while and while I really like it, it handles great in the twisties, and has tons of torque, but I don't like the roughness of the 1200 v-twin and it just isn't as fast acceleration wise as the Brutale.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Brute!

No question--I rode the XB12S and 9SX extensively and then one 20min ride on an MV and WOW, thr Brutale is head and shoulders above the Buell. :drummer:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the 910r came in and I sat on it today. The seat feels a little stiffer. Has anyone noticed this to be a problem on longer rides.

My only issue now is to figure out pricing with them

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Triple Seven said:
I wouldnt say the 910 and 910R are a 'whole different animal', basically the same thing with some subtile differences.
They are a whole different animal from the Buell, although remarkably similar ergonomically, but yes, the R is a slightly upgraded 910, not even as different as the XB9 vs XB12, more like a late '05 Brutale vs an early '07.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Txfatcat said:
Well the 910r came in and I sat on it today. The seat feels a little stiffer. Has anyone noticed this to be a problem on longer rides.

My only issue now is to figure out pricing with them
I have found the firmly padded seat to be a plus on long rides, as it provides needed support the Buell's lack.

·
Registered
593 Posts
fazer6 said:
They are a whole different animal from the Buell,
Of course. I read his post as 910 vs 910R being different animals, not considering the Buell. I may have misread it or it wasnt clear what he was referring to in that sentance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I guess I consider the 910r upgraded but current pricing seems 910 for $15k and $20k for the R model. I am trying to decide if it is worth it for me. Also because these are very limited....its not like I can just sit back and wait a few months. All the feedback here has been wonderful. I even talked with the wifey and we have decided to keep the Buell.....just trying to make the decision on the 910's now. I am sorry for all the constant stupid questions. I am just trying to make a well informed educated decision.

Since the 910r is a limited run. Do they and will it hold the value if kept in good condition. I would obviously ride it...because I am not going to own a trailer queen. I looked on ebay and didnt see much. What can i expect??? Does MV Agusta release limited models every year or two.

thanks again for all the constant feedback from everyone

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Txfatcat said:
I would obviously ride it...because I am not going to own a trailer queen.
:guitarist :guitarist

That's AWESOME to hear.

All MVs hold thier value extremely well. I mean, what 00' year bike can you find, that has low mileage that's still over $10K....even Ducs don't hold thier value like that, SPS included.

I mean, look at the SPR...it's a 750, and even after the release of the 1000's...it's value hasn't budged one bit....if you can afford it, and can get your hands on one....get it. Even if you plan on keeping it forever, the fact that getting a decent chunk back is still an option, is more than worth noting...

·
Registered
431 Posts
getcrackin said:
I ride my friend's modified Buell once in a while and while I really like it, it handles great in the twisties...
I just wanted to put in my 2 cents: Anyone who thinks a Buell handles great will be blown comatose by the handling of the Brutale. I had the opportunity to test the XB9 when it was new (both the FireBomb and the Slightning) and my personal opinion (as a former test rider) is that they are both dangerous bikes to ride. The front geometry is so awkward that they stand up if you feather the REAR brake mid-corner.

I never did get a chance to ride the 12 (career change), but I can't imagine it would handle any differently. Oh...and the Buell's have got some of the clunkiest gear boxes I've ever used. Don't even THINK about clutchless shifting from 1'st to 2'nd...unless you like the feeling of getting kicked in the ass.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts