MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
John T (AirFuel) installed a PCIII and mapped it out on his dyno today. The abrupt on/off throttle response in stop and go traffic is gone (I tried it out in a parking lot). Keep in mind that the "before" dyno run was done with the MV Corse inox headers and midpipe already installed (done at the 600 mile service). John got 120hp at the rear wheel. Not bad! John, thanks again, it was very interesting to watch.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I so need to do this.... bit fecked off that a £12.5K motorcycle comes out of the factory with a fuel map drawn by a two year old......

If it were a Ferrari the owners just would not put up with it, why do we??????????????????????????????

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Don't blame MV.

Many bikes today do this. The new "bike of the year", the Yamaha FZ1 is becoming one of the worst. After all the articles praising the bike, they are now reporting very bad "abrupt" throttle actions and very bad on/off response.

Many Harleys are stalling at intersections, and run terrible at part throttle/low speed running.

And remember the BMW surging problem that never existed? :loser:

Just thank your lucky stars the problem is easily fixed.

John T

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Another things is for all the different bikes, their pipes with the factory EPROM/chips, or the maps that is supplied with the Power commander, supposely designed for your bike/pipe combination, they don't really work that well, the only way to optimize and refine the power and its delivery is to have a good Dyno tech to custom map your bike.

·
Registered
785 Posts
odonata said:
Another things is for all the different bikes, their pipes with the factory EPROM/chips, or the maps that is supplied with the Power commander, supposely designed for your bike/pipe combination, they don't really work that well, the only way to optimize and refine the power and its delivery is to have a good Dyno tech to custom map your bike.
You are right, over the years we tried so many combinations (EPROMs, adjusting the co adjuster..) and played around with different exhausts, all to no avail. Fitting power commanders and getting a custom map on a dyno is the only way to get your MV running perfect. No MV is the same as another, even when we tried a perfect custom map off one of our 750's on another 750 it wasn't right.

Most cars have o2 sensors and the ECU adjusts the fueling automatically, shame Dynojet don't develop a power commander that has an o2 sensor which attaches to the exhaust oulet and automatically adjusts the pc map on the move detecting air/fuel ratio, this way you can change exhausts with no worries and have a perfect map 24/7.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Aussie MV said:
Are you guys finding the same with the 910R or is the on/off throttle respone problems only with the 910S?
Same problem with both.

The only difference between the two engines is the hand polished ports on the R. Same computer, same mapping. (in stock form)

I will tell you if the chip that comes with the exhaust system does something.

John T

·
Registered
512 Posts
airfuel said:
Same problem with both.

The only difference between the two engines is the hand polished ports on the R. Same computer, same mapping. (in stock form)

I will tell you if the chip that comes with the exhaust system does something.

John T
Thanks for that, when I find out I will be able to let my dealer know so he can address it before I pick the bike up.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd be curious to see what the dyno graph and gains look like for a complete open exhaust system.

·
Registered
261 Posts
How do you like the PC III on its own? I just ordered the PCIII for my 910S and Im looking forward to smoothing out some of the throttle response. I have had some issues with the on/off character, but nothing I could not live with. I plan in the near future to get a BMC airfilter and Arrow Midpipe. I was wondering whether you can just use the PC III maps that come with the controller to smooth out the throttle or do you have to have someone dyno it (a $200 charge here) as well?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lorenzotx said:
How do you like the PC III on its own? I just ordered the PCIII for my 910S and Im looking forward to smoothing out some of the throttle response. I have had some issues with the on/off character, but nothing I could not live with. I plan in the near future to get a BMC airfilter and Arrow Midpipe. I was wondering whether you can just use the PC III maps that come with the controller to smooth out the throttle or do you have to have someone dyno it (a $200 charge here) as well?
I never tried the PCIII on its own. I had it installed after the headers and midpipe. But you can see for those dyno graphs, the power livery is nice and linear and smooth.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Gotta love those curves! I hope my local Dyno guru has the same level of competence yours did. BTW, do the aftermarket headers offer that much more airflow than stock? I can't see how you could open things up anymore from the stock headers. The only gain I see is in the weight of course.

Lorenzo

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lorenzotx said:
Gotta love those curves! I hope my local Dyno guru has the same level of competence yours did. BTW, do the aftermarket headers offer that much more airflow than stock? I can't see how you could open things up anymore from the stock headers. The only gain I see is in the weight of course.

Lorenzo
I doubt the headers do anything. MV does not sell the midpipe seperately, only with the headers, so I bought the whole unit (I wanted the MV piece). I think the real difference is in the elimination of the cat. It weighs a ton relative to the headers and obviosly is restrictive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, just bought a Brutale and been thinking of purchasing the Power Commander III. When can I get the information regarding the mapping of the PCIII?

·
Registered
261 Posts
The PCIII website has maps for the Brutale 910. I just ordered one myself and I plan to use the PCIII stock maps initially (I have not changed anything on the bike yet). When I get the midpipe and BMC airfilter I will go to the local Dyno franchise and have a custom map done for my bike. My understanding this is about as optimum you can expect to get from the bike (assuming the Dyno guy knows what the hell he is doing of course). Everytime in the future if you change anything like silencers, pipes, ect... it will be best that you remap for best results.

Lorenzo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts