MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi alll, i wana decat my 989r, do i need a 910 or 920 decat to cut and shut ?

sms

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
welded?

Rich;
my '08 pipes were welded to the cat......i cut it all apart, no deal, the collectors curve into the cat.....where they need to be straight

got head pipes and a catless collector from Carl, then an Arrow Shorty:naughty::naughty::naughty:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rich;
my '08 pipes were welded to the cat......i cut it all apart, no deal, the collectors curve into the cat.....where they need to be straight

got head pipes and a catless collector from Carl, then an Arrow Shorty:naughty::naughty::naughty:
yeah welded, so just cut and shut?

thanks again guys, will do it this weekend!

SMS

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
?

yeah welded, so just cut and shut?

thanks again guys, will do it this weekend!

SMS
SMS;
no, not cut and shut what ever that means?

never seen a 920 or 989

the '08 910R head pipes are welded into the Cat, its a big box....
i cut the head pipes out of the box.....they will be major work to connect
you need to remove the curved ends
you need to machine the correct ends and weld them to the ends of the head pipes
then you need a Catless mid pipe to fit your modded headpipes, your stock Shotguns will fit the Catless midpipe

i'm fabricator, been welding for 57 years......

i bought early Brutale headpipes and a Catless collector.......it just bolts on......

you have to pick your battles :drummer:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Noel, "cut and shut", like when you have two wrecked cars, one front end crash, the other a rear. Cut the good bits of both and weld them together to make one "good" car :naughty:

So in this case as you describe way too much work to cut the headers off the cat, weld bits on etc, so just buy headers off a 750 Brutale and use them with a suitable mid pipe ( arrows cat eliminator or gutted cat) and your silencer/tail pipe of choice. :smoking:

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
also ,you do need a spring as such.just unscrew the co screw and use a washer ,drill a 1/8 hole on the outer rim ,you can the rotate this to any angle,if you want the spring to be straighter than mine,your choice.

cheers eddy

Attachments

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
de Catting?

Rich;
cut and shut, cars in OZ = clipping cars here

the Brutale Cat is a giant POS totally unlike the F4 one.....gases are just dumped into a big box and then they finally find their way out

on the F4 the bulge in the Cat mid pipe is insulation, the pipe is straight through with the Cat in the middle.
you only need to cut it and drill/grind the Cat out and then weld it back together......then internally its the same as a Catless F4 mid pipe

the Brutale is an entirely different game......

Ed did the same thing i did, got earlier pipes and mid pipe

he can remove his oil filter with a 3/8" extension......i can't get a razor blade through there and remove #3 & 4:wtf:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
thanks for the reply guys:)
here is the result, only took an hour or so, the mid pipes just slide straight in, i added some sealent and it was good to go!

its made a big difference to the bike, throttle is crisper and its a little more revvy, feels strong! :) still a scary bike on the road, however on the the track its amasing!

here some pics:)

cheers again chaps:)

sms

1 - 12 of 12 Posts