MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my brute according to the paper is almost 10yrs(9yrs 10m) old got over 110k km on the clock, and my ignition switch is about to die , out of all my bikes over 100 , the brute's(sophia) has lasted the longest might get a thumb reader switch as a replacement

·
Administrator
18,809 Posts
You wear out key switches?? How much stuff do have hanging on that key?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Administrator
18,809 Posts
nothing just a key
just use it a lot
Dang...not a component that wears out too often.
Find a good lock smith and have it rebuilt with better tumblers!!

Or is it the electrical contacts? in which case an occasional little spray of dielectric grease might be in order....

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it is just the tumblers . The steering lock packed up a few months ago . My suzi ones lasted about 5 yrs

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
No it is just the tumblers . The steering lock packed up a few months ago . My suzi ones lasted about 5 yrs
I only had one bike that did that........, it was when I had my old Suzuki GS 550 back in the early 80's and you could pull the key out of the ignition barrel while the bike was still running.

It jumped out on me one time while I was riding and I did'nt notice until I went to get off at the end of my ride....,had to use the kill switch to stop it and 'hot wire' with a bump start to get home!:)

Brian.

·
Administrator
18,809 Posts
Tumblers are relatively soft metal and the little springs can sack out over time. I was once told that using a titanium key (weight savings minimal - kind of a vanity thing) will wear out tumblers because the hard Ti keeps a sharp edge where the normal key metal smooths out on the edges.

Maybe a good lock smith can overhaul the tumblers.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
.....or PM CAG. He's got a used one in stock.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its ok randy i have this covered , just got to put it back together .............i have a mate whos a auto lock person

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
I only had one bike that did that........, it was when I had my old Suzuki GS 550 back in the early 80's and you could pull the key out of the ignition barrel while the bike was still running.

It jumped out on me one time while I was riding and I did'nt notice until I went to get off at the end of my ride....,had to use the kill switch to stop it and 'hot wire' with a bump start to get home!:)

Brian.
Same "problem" on my Brute (2005) at 42.000 km.
Steering lock mechanism (counterclockwise) can be enabled in maybe 1 of 10 times, fortunately clockwise direction is operable without any problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts