MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
20,013 Posts
Always use a super health dose of WD40 (anti-seize) on the connecting ends
Just a note here....WD40 is NOT anti-seize.

Fantastic that you could confirm this.

My MV Corse "kit" headers have cross-over tubes between #1 - 2, and #3 -4 and did not have an o2 bung (I had one welded on). I think they were from a 750 kit but fit fine on my 910R...not sure they would have the same shape as the "kit" headers for the 910s???

Reactions: theknurl

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Just a note here....WD40 is NOT anti-seize.
Oh absolutely Ed, sorry I did mean OR an anti-freeze

My MV Corse "kit" headers have cross-over tubes between #1 - 2, and #3 -4 and did not have an o2 bung
Just so we're on the same page, when you say cross-over tubes, you mean the tubes that connect 1-2 & 3-4 to the mid-pipe?

E.g. As per Noel's picture, the stock Gen-1 pipes consisted of:
1. 2 x Header pipes (1-2 + 3-4 complete unit)
2. 1 x Cat - separate
3. 2 x silencers - separate

What we have (I put together) on our track bike are the Headers - but they are made up of 6 x pipes (4 x primary and 2 x cross-over)

If the above is correct, and for whatever reason the stock ones don't fit around the counter-crank, then I could put the standard headers onto the 910R and put the Corsa ones onto the 1090RR.

Agreed ?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Stock 1st Gen Brutale pipes.....:grin2:
Hi Noel,
Could you send me another photo - but more side profile vs. top

Obviously cylinder 3 on the gen-1 was also shaped around the oil filter.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,013 Posts
Just so we're on the same page, when you say cross-over tubes, you mean the tubes that connect 1-2 & 3-4 to the mid-pipe?
No... cross-overs in the headers themselves. Photos of my 910R attached:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Thanks Ed - the plot thickens then...so we now have the following combinations

1. Stock headers with no cross-connect pipe (2 x pieces)
2. Stock headers with a Cross-connect (do we know if these are hollow and connect the flow ?) (2 x pieces)
3. Race headers with no cross-connect (6 x pieces)

I've reviewed all the exhaust diagrams on Star Twin and found the only the F4 Gen-1 models detail a cross-connect #2 (I'm not betting the bank Ed, but it looks like your headers came off an F4 ??)

None of the Race or Stock B4 models included the cross-connect (as shown by the diagrams) - @theknurl - Noel, could you please confirm your pipes on your bike and the spares don't have them?

Cheers
Tim

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
diagrams

1. F4
2. Stock
3. Race

Attachments

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
?

Tim;
4 sets of pipes no crossovers
Original with welded CAT .....it's cut apart
The complicated one about 10 pieces
The one in my post #24
The one on my Brutale

I'm guessing you just need head pipes for the 910R and another Arrow Thunder?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Tim;
4 sets of pipes no crossovers
Original with welded CAT .....it's cut apart
The complicated one about 10 pieces
The one in my post #24
The one on my Brutale

I'm guessing you just need head pipes for the 910R and another Arrow Thunder?
Thanks my friend, yes I just need the head-pipes as I have the mid-pipe and the Arrow thunder (noting the comment that the bend is a bit sharper from the header). Worse case scenario being I put those onto the track bike as I now know the Race set will work on the 1090.

At least we will have confirmed 100% that both types work on the 1090RR for future owners.

Cheers

·
Administrator
20,013 Posts
1. F4
2. Stock
3. Race

Nope...mine are kit pipes (race?) with 4 separate headers, unlike those stock F4 pipes you showed. Just like the "race" #3 except with the balance /cross over pipes.

The cross-overs are open tubes connecting the headers (seen on a lot of other high performance exhaust headers).

So another variation possible. I think they are from the very early Brutale 750 "Kit" exhaust, but I can't swear to it. I got them from CAG a lonnngg time ago.

And I can get a 3/8 drive extension with wobble joint into my oil filter socket through the gap...Noel can't do that on his.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
That's definitely a rare variation Ed and no where to be seen in the part's manuals (excepting across some of the F4 models).

...I'll just have to do the test to confirm !

Cheers

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
?

Tim;
I'll box them up and get you a price with shipping
Ed;
Crossover tubes are only for noise.......NO OTHER HIGH PERFORMANCE VEHICLE USES THEM!
On the street, muscle cars have used them AFTER the headers for ever......it doubles the frequency and fools your ears

Motorcycles usually have noise restrictions even at major tracks like Laguna Seca....because of the way the fans act
Go to Laguna Seca for a Vintage Car race.....no noise restrictions .....the fans don't act like pigs

Drag racing doesn't have restrictions.......this is a slow European fueler.....

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Thanks bud

·
Administrator
20,013 Posts
Noel, you are out of tune with the times.....they are in the headers themselves and will have absolutely NO affect on noise.

And there ARE examples of high performance exhaust with cross over pipes in the headers. At least one I know of even has an ECU controlled valve that only opens the connection at 10K rpm and above.

You need to go back to school and catch up with current evolution in technology. This is not 1960 anymore.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Tim;
I'll box them up and get you a price with shipping
Ed;
Crossover tubes are only for noise.......NO OTHER HIGH PERFORMANCE VEHICLE USES THEM!
On the street, muscle cars have used them AFTER the headers for ever......it doubles the frequency and fools your ears

Motorcycles usually have noise restrictions even at major tracks like Laguna Seca....because of the way the fans act
Go to Laguna Seca for a Vintage Car race.....no noise restrictions .....the fans don't act like pigs

Drag racing doesn't have restrictions.......this is a slow European fueler.....
https://youtu.be/cTMN_KobQF4
The restrictions on noise at Laguna are NOT due to the fans - it's due to the idiots that built/bought houses near an existing motorsports park and then complained about the fact that competition cars and motorcycles make noise. The noise restrictions are allowed to be relaxed only a few times per year and they save them for major motorsports events (They charge $$$$ for those days).

The MotoAmerica and WSBK round being one of them just this year.

But - I'm more interested in the 910 headers on a 1090/990 information, even though this would probably make it illegal to run at Laguna Seca.

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
?

The restrictions on noise at Laguna are NOT due to the fans - it's due to the idiots that built/bought houses near an existing motorsports park and then complained about the fact that competition cars and motorcycles make noise. The noise restrictions are allowed to be relaxed only a few times per year and they save them for major motorsports events (They charge $$$$ for those days).

The MotoAmerica and WSBK round being one of them just this year.

But - I'm more interested in the 910 headers on a 1090/990 information, even though this would probably make it illegal to run at Laguna Seca.
falcn;
Well guess what?
You apparently never went to vintage races at Laguna Seca, I don't ever remember being charged for a ticket and that was
into the pits too
Ever see how the motorcycle fans act on Cannery Row Friday and Saturday nights?????
Dorna charges a fortune to get the race and that's passed on the the hooligans >:)

Here's the Spring Classic 2018 .....old NASCAR race cars, not a muffler to be found.....
Notice there are maybe 35 people in the stands?
So where is the woman that owns Laguna Seca making her money????? For events like this her overhead is low and there
is little cleanup.....so she charges the racers a nominal fee
You used to be able to rent Ontario Motor Speedway for $800 a day WITH an ambulance, but maybe Dan Gurney and Bobby Unser got a discount, I don't know>:)

·
Registered
282 Posts
falcn;
Well guess what?
You apparently never went to vintage races at Laguna Seca, I don't ever remember being charged for a ticket and that was
into the pits too
Ever see how the motorcycle fans act on Cannery Row Friday and Saturday nights?????
Dorna charges a fortune to get the race and that's passed on the the hooligans >:)

Here's the Spring Classic 2018 .....old NASCAR race cars, not a muffler to be found.....
Notice there are maybe 35 people in the stands?
So where is the woman that owns Laguna Seca making her money????? For events like this her overhead is low and there
is little cleanup.....so she charges the racers a nominal fee
You used to be able to rent Ontario Motor Speedway for $800 a day WITH an ambulance, but maybe Dan Gurney and Bobby Unser got a discount, I don't know>:)
https://youtu.be/07PBUNT7AyY
Your logic is very twisted and incorrect.

Number of fans according to you would require noise restrictions....but yet, WSBK had no restrictions and "hooligan" fans on cannery row...

Car events I have attended that were not highly paid professional level events also had noise restrictions, even with NO paying spectators and hooligan fans downtown.

HINT the Vintage Racers in the Spring Classic are charged an entry fee of $725 per entry, it's not a "normal track day". It is one of the Noise Free days that the track leverages. They also charged spectators for tickets - maybe you somehow got in for free, good for you? All the other spectators had to pay money!

"The Spring Classic Showcasing Nitro Revival will also have go-karts, vendors, and lively displays that the whole family can enjoy. Children 15 and under are FREE with a paying adult. Three-day tickets at the gate are $70 ($50 advance) with Friday-only at $30 ($20 advance) and Saturday and Sunday at $50 ($30 advance). Advance tickets are still available one day before the event HERE or b y calling 831-242-8200."
Above quote from Laguna Seca website: https://www.weathertechraceway.com/event-news/experience-vintage-motorsports-celebration-no-other-spring-classic-showcasing-nitro

Once again - the people that have moved to the area and then complained about the noise are to blame for the restrictions. The COUNTY owns the track - not some "lady".
"Laguna Seca, which held its first event in 1957, was gifted to the County in the early Seventies, and is part of the California State Park system. It’s governed by the Monterey County’s Board of Supervisors." An interesting read for any interested in the track and its recent decline: https://jalopnik.com/why-running-laguna-seca-is-a-job-no-one-would-want-1724205713 also talks about the groups that run the track.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 44 Posts