MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever attempted this? I have a complete F4 750 roller, including loom and ECU and just picked up a 910 engine.

Now the importer is trying to tell me i will need the Brutale loom and ecu and advising against the swap

I built the roller completely out of ebay parts so I am kinda stuck with what I have. I would have thought the looms to be similar and the ECU for the 750 could be re-chipped

Anyone know the difference between F4 750 and 910 Brutale looms and Ecu's ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd keep the 750 ecu and fit a power commander to it, if that would fit (pretty sure it would) the 750 ecu map would be very different from the 910 but the PC should fix that. I think you would want a 750 loom (as you have on the roller).

But there are more educated people in the ways of MVs on this forum than me so let them answer.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I doubt anyone on the "factory" end is going to condone what you are trying to do, but that doesnt mean that it cant be done.

The first thing I would do is get scematics of both wirings harnesses, both the 750 and 910, and see what is different about the two, if anything, before moving forward.

I have seen this type of swap done, but only on harley based bikes. Ususally the donor engine will need to keep its specific wiring harness, but I cannot be certian without looking at both them them.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
If it's just a connector and possibly semiconductor issue, I'm sure you could build your own loom from parts from someone like Mouser or Digi-Key or something... ECU, who knows? I don't know what all changed. Seems like the smart thing would be that only the chip is different, but you never know. The injectors are likely different but I don't know how that affects the rest of it.

(gibberish from me once again)

What a cool project this would be. The 910 engine seems like a good match if the ratios are sane for a sport bike. The extra torque should really make it a rider, although I only know this by looking at HP-torque curves.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I also think you'll need the wiring loom because of the break out box 'junction box' which houses several functions for which the F4 relies on external relays. There was also the move to the plug top coils to consider.

I think electrics will be the largest hurgle followed by radiator placement then minor exhuast tweaks for radator angle and then underseat fitting. I don't imagine the adaptor for the frame to head mount will be all that crazy but I'd line up the swingarm pivor and other frame mount first then figure out the correct geometry for the top/head mount. I'm sure it'll be in and out of the frame a few times for final fitment.

Cool project!! Can you get the electrics from the same seller?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Change of plan, the engine on Ebay couldn't get the requisite paper work to get shipped out of Italy, it may have had a dubious history.

Sourced a new donor... yet another brutale, this time a 750 EVO 2003 model. I presume this should be a straight slot in and plug and ride.

What are the essential differences between the brutale and F4 ... is there anything that I can do to ensure this engine runs like an F4?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Gear ratios are different, port for oil cooler vs lower radiator and I'm not 100% positive the head's threads will mount to an F4 frame, I thought they were slightly different but not positive.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is the " port for oil cooler vs lower radiator" ? if its just the inlets i should be able to counter that with some hoses yea? I am fitting a race radiator anyway.

The frame bit has me concerned .. will keep you posted as I bolt it all together

1 - 10 of 10 Posts