MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in mcn today it reports that mv have a 800 triple , 95% ready for production!!! i thought it would be a 675!

i cant see the point of a 800 triple, it has no class to compete in has such and deffo cant be raced, who would be interested in this?

maybe to compete against the ageing 750 suzuki?

i think it would make a good road bike, a gruntier version of my 675 triump would be excellent, but its only 200 cc behind its flagship, so i dont see it.

maybe mcn have cocked up and it really is a 675 , i think it is.:naughty:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
in mcn today it reports that mv have a 800 triple , 95% ready for production!!! i thought it would be a 675!

i cant see the point of a 800 triple, it has no class to compete in has such and deffo cant be raced, who would be interested in this?

i think it would make a good road bike, a gruntier version of my 675 triump would be excellent, but its only 200 cc behind its flagship, so i dont see it.

Ducati 848 is out on its own too and can't be raced, yet they sell a lot of them. Plus it's a bundle of fun to ride.

Sounds like they maybe building an 848 slayer ?

·
Registered
208 Posts

An 800 triple would be bang on . I find the 675 just very slightly lacking[ & I mean slightly] .The 800 would be an ideal bike for 99% of people as the 1000"s nowadays are just unrideable penis extensions. The japs have lost there way & should be creating direct injection 2 strokes & triples etc instead of chasing big power 1000"s for novices to kill themselves. Please please bring back the fun bikes.[& sales will follow!].Remember the choice in the 80"s. This could be MV"s cherry on top.

I know people on these forums are all expert riders who need 300bhp to straight line it everywhere will say 800cc is too small, tell Jamie Whitam who said to me if you or anyone else get pass me today at Donnington gp circuit I will give you a free pass to a trackday. He was on a bog standard R6 with shit standard dunlops & no body passed him all day! Many many 1000"s were dispatched with there slicks & expert riders. Love it.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Maybe the 675 is a little lacking in power/uesability? hence the 800cc? like the 848 it would have no direct competition, maybe thats:
A) A good thing? at least it could never come last in a group test? will
never be 'last years bike' and therefore should have a
long life.
B) A bad thing because there is nothing to compare it to. no where to
race it, does that really matter?

IMHO the most 'user friendly' bikes I ever owned for engine useability were the handfull of Ducati monsters I had, all large capacity and all very friendly.

As a couple of eg's of modern bikes being not so user friendly:

My R1 does 109mph in first, I could go to prison for only ever using 1st gear!!!!!!!

The new BMW 1000RR boasts 192bhp..........smashing:yo:, the bit they forgot to add in the small print is, only available in 4th gear upwards at speeds in excess of 145mph

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I know people on these forums are all expert riders who need 300bhp to straight line it everywhere will say 800cc is too small, tell Jamie Whitam who said to me if you or anyone else get pass me today at Donnington gp circuit I will give you a free pass to a trackday. He was on a bog standard R6 with shit standard dunlops & no body passed him all day! Many many 1000"s were dispatched with there slicks & expert riders. Love it.
Thats not really a 'road comparrison' an R6 on the track is quite a weapon, more so with mr Whittam on board and even more so if you stuck Crutchlow on it:jsm: on the road where you need the power a little more attainable, a 1000cc is the better bike for most people and I guess for most people if the 1000cc sportsbike had the rev limiter reduced to 10,000rpm a lot would never notice:naughty:

But I do know where your coming from:)

·
Registered
293 Posts
An 800 triple would be bang on . I find the 675 just very slightly lacking[ & I mean slightly] .The 800 would be an ideal bike for 99% of people as the 1000"s nowadays are just unrideable penis extensions. The japs have lost there way & should be creating direct injection 2 strokes & triples etc instead of chasing big power 1000"s for novices to kill themselves. Please please bring back the fun bikes.[& sales will follow!].Remember the choice in the 80"s. This could be MV"s cherry on top.

Want an F4 fun to ride? Don't need to wait for a 800cc F3, buy an 750 SR/SPR F4 :stickpoke

·
Registered
488 Posts
New mini MV Agusta stalled
By James Sharpe - New bikes 23 February 2010 12:22
MV Agusta’s much anticipated new mid-capacity supersport machine has been delayed due to the company’s imminent sale by Harley-Davidson.

The “95% finished” inline three-cylinder 800cc sports bike is, according to eye-witnesses, the most startling MV in recent years and can lap a track just a second off the current 1000cc F4.

An insider told MCN: “The bike started off as a 675cc but the capacity has now grown to somewhere between 750cc and 800cc. Prototypes have been testing on the road and the track.”

Now, however, development has slowed until new investment can be found. MCN was told: “This bike was due to go on sale at the end of 2010 or beginning of 2011 thanks to a lot of Harley-Davidson investment following the takeover of MV Agusta in 2008.

"Now development has slowed down because there is no more money to spend until a new buyer can be found.”

Pictures of the bike were grabbed by MCN at the end of last year but little was known until our investigation revealed some tantalising details.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Want an F4 fun to ride? Don't need to wait for a 800cc F3, buy an 750 SR/SPR F4 :stickpoke

I have a 750 Mv and I think it is the only recent 4 cyl with some personality & loveable rough edges. That is why I have kept it for 6yrs!

Every year I test ride new bikes & yes they are fast as..... but dont offer a fun riding experience like my Suzuki RG500 or my old Ducati twin.

I Guess I am just bored with seemless over powered bikes with no personality. The japs just keep producing bikes which look good on a packet of top trumps!

Remember the 350lc twisting its forks on the brakes or the first Gixxer 750 with bendy wheels & swingarm, brilliant fun.

Lets hope MV have left some italian in the new 800 if it makes it to production.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
well there are people racing 848 in club racing. The 848 races in the AMA as well.
I know people on these forums are all expert riders who need 300bhp to straight line it everywhere will say 800cc is too small,
That's right!! :jerkoff:

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I think the motorcycle world runs on profits more than racing. That said, wouldn't a 800cc triple be close to the F4's power levels and maybe canabalize some F4 sales?

On the bright side, the Triple is 95% done so once a buyer if found, they're not too far from production. 95% done probably means it just needs a little more testing and tool. Pretty good incentive for a potential investor - two new products heading to market and a third near completion.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Maybe the 675 is a little lacking in power/uesability? hence the 800cc? like the 848 it would have no direct competition, maybe thats:
long life.

IMHO the most 'user friendly' bikes I ever owned for engine useability were the handfull of Ducati monsters I had, all large capacity and all very friendly.

My R1 does 109mph in first, I could go to prison for only ever using 1st gear!!!!!!!

The new BMW 1000RR boasts 192bhp..........smashing:yo:, the bit they forgot to add in the small print is, only available in 4th gear upwards at speeds in excess of 145mph
Life's too short to have an ugly bike. Bragging rights are of no consequence whatsoever :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :f4:

·
Registered
909 Posts
New mini MV Agusta stalled
By James Sharpe - New bikes 23 February 2010 12:22

An insider told MCN: “The bike started off as a 675cc but the capacity has now grown to somewhere between 750cc and 800cc. Prototypes have been testing on the road and the track.”

Pictures of the bike were grabbed by MCN at the end of last year

Not the old "an insider told MCN" story

And the pictures were "grabbed" all right- from this very forum!!!

Now MCN's Michael Neeves claims he "saw the bike up close while testing in Almeria last year"- funny he didn't mention that when they first covered the story at the end of last year! In fact, it wasn't even his story!:jerkoff:

My father always said a liar must have a good memory!

·
Registered
459 Posts
long life.

Mike,
you are starting to get a bit "Vicki, yeah but, no but, Pollard" regards the BMW. It is probably still producing more than the others
whilst being limited in those first 3 gears.

As you state above it is about useability and maybe they are smarter
than the others.To first criticse the lack of 192bhp in the first 3 gears then use that bike as an illustration of not being user friendly??

Its also about perceptions and how you read and interpret things such as road tests, I remember from the first comparison Bike did with the BMW and Fireblade that the FireBlade when ridden was percieved and felt like it had a stronger midrange whereas an impromtu side by side test leaving a 30mph limit in second gear sees the S1000RR simply bugger off, the Honda has shorter gearing and a weight advantage also.

I've yet to find a Ducati engine that is user friendly in town,my ST4s would have beeen the perfect road bike otherwise, try an old carb Fazer 1000 if you want user friendly.
Different perception , 113mph 5th gear 80bhp flat twin ,6pts £250 .
Stay safe buy an old BM.

Anyway this thread was about an MV triple wasnt it?
An 800 triple would be about perfect , I hope it survives.
Why do feel it needs comparison and direct competition ?

Did you buy the R1 because it was bike of the year and faster round the track than the competition or because you liked the way it made you feel.
You should try thrashing the tits off a Street Triple if you think a 675 lacks useability/power, its actually fun. A lot more so than rolling along
on a 1000's torque.

I like bikes for what they are , I think anything over 140bhp for road use is overkill and mostly unuseable anyway, might come in handy at the pub though.

Be interesting to see how you feel after your test ride, I might even arrange one for myself .
For me the Multistrada might be the bike next year it certainly would be first on my list if I was in the market.

Cant wait for the latest MCN test of the all the sportbikes and where they place the new F4 ,roll on wed:f4:

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I had heard some rumours about the MV triple being a 800cc, some time ago on an italian forum but i was like... hmm.....
Sounds like there was some credibility to it....

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Mike,
you are starting to get a bit "Vicki, yeah but, no but, Pollard" regards the BMW. It is probably still producing more than the others
whilst being limited in those first 3 gears.

As you state above it is about useability and maybe they are smarter
than the others.To first criticse the lack of 192bhp in the first 3 gears then use that bike as an illustration of not being user friendly??

Its also about perceptions and how you read and interpret things such as road tests, I remember from the first comparison Bike did with the BMW and Fireblade that the FireBlade when ridden was percieved and felt like it had a stronger midrange whereas an impromtu side by side test leaving a 30mph limit in second gear sees the S1000RR simply bugger off, the Honda has shorter gearing and a weight advantage also.

I've yet to find a Ducati engine that is user friendly in town,my ST4s would have beeen the perfect road bike otherwise, try an old carb Fazer 1000 if you want user friendly.
Different perception , 113mph 5th gear 80bhp flat twin ,6pts £250 .
Stay safe buy an old BM.

Anyway this thread was about an MV triple wasnt it?
An 800 triple would be about perfect , I hope it survives.
Why do feel it needs comparison and direct competition ?

Did you buy the R1 because it was bike of the year and faster round the track than the competition or because you liked the way it made you feel.
You should try thrashing the tits off a Street Triple if you think a 675 lacks useability/power, its actually fun. A lot more so than rolling along
on a 1000's torque.

I like bikes for what they are , I think anything over 140bhp for road use is overkill and mostly unuseable anyway, might come in handy at the pub though.

Be interesting to see how you feel after your test ride, I might even arrange one for myself .
For me the Multistrada might be the bike next year it certainly would be first on my list if I was in the market.

Cant wait for the latest MCN test of the all the sportbikes and where they place the new F4 ,roll on wed:f4:
I still like the Ducati useability, I used to go down one tooth at the front, helps for the slow stuff and also made 6th useable below 70mph

Odd Ian, a german mag had the BMW 3rd on a roll on in 6th between 40-120 (I think) behind the Fireblade and R1 ( I read that on the BMW forum, I think it was Mottorad? that did the group test?

No Ian I didn't buy my R1 because MCN said it was bike of the year ( I One reason I bought it was because it was the last one at the old price, and no way was I paying £11K at the time !)

As for thrashing bikes for fun you do remember I had the MV750? I think I would prefer the 750 for trackdays, for the road I think the ease of the 1000 is better.

Back to the triple, it doesn't 'need' competition, it's better for MV if it hasn't any at all,it can't come last, a little like the F4 1078, quicker than any other 1000, but not comparible because of the cc hike. same with an 800 MV triple, as you say maybe the ideal bike? but always in front of the Triumph 675 yet not comparable with it? Could be a real clever move for MV

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
I don't care what capacity it is.....I want a triple!! I would buy it sight unseen, don't need journalists' reviews and/or opinions, in fact I don't need anyone's opinion, build the damn thing & I will BUY it...regardless of cost.

I only pray for two things in the design - red/silver paint & three pipes.

This is a passion purchase to complete my dream of owing 1,2,3,4 cylinder MVs - useabilty & all the rest of that stuff....who cares? just hurry up & build the thing!

Come on MV! :yo:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Odd Ian, a german mag had the BMW 3rd on a roll on in 6th between 40-120 (I think) behind the Fireblade and R1 ( I read that on the BMW forum, I think it was Mottorad? that did the group test?
There is nothing odd Mike. The example I gave was a second gear roll on
from 30mph.

The bike figures in same test for 40-120mph in top gear have the Blade faster by 0.3sec. It has shorter gearing and weighs less. So no real surprise there.

Like I said it is how you read and interpret .

I just love triples, best of both worlds in power delivery, and the sound
is just special . The thought of that tiny bike hiding behind the plastics
in " MCN's photo scoop" actually having an 800 triple in there makes me giddy:mouthwate

1 - 20 of 32 Posts