MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my phone so I don't know how to post a link but I was curious to see what you guys thought of this...

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I think it's pretty cool. Seems like a lot for a clone. I don't know the values of the older bikes.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I know nothing as to worth, but the first time I saw an MV Agusta four of that vintage, I knew what true love was. They sure made a great looking engine for that bike.

Toby

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
It was quite common for MV owners to convert the rather ugly 600/4 and the 750 GT into the desireable 'sport'. When buying a Sport it is a must that the bike is checked to see if it is a conversion or genuine article.

It is hard to say a value but at a guess less than the Sport. To me the chain drive conversion doesn't detract from the value. Probably a good way to get into classic 4C MVs if you can't afford the Sport or America.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Beware.....those are not MV engine and frame numbers.

I have the 600 factory records and even if you take out some of the 'extra' numbers (MV 600's were 199 and then up to 3 digits only) he has added there is no way anything matches .

Engine looks like one of the new repro ones coming out of Italy at the moment.

Dorian.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Beware.....those are not MV engine and frame numbers.

Engine looks like one of the new repro ones coming out of Italy at the moment.

Dorian.
Is that a bad thing Dorian? Do you have any info on the repro engines. The photos on ebay look good but I agree with Carl, it does seem a lot to pay for something which clearly isn't the genuine article.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Number of issues here.

One is that i don't think it is what it is being advertised as. Two is that some of it is poss not even MV. If it was a 600 turned into a 750 sport, then that's one less 600 around which is a VERY bad thing in my books. It's not like they made many of them!

You can get almost anything made in Italy and the old eastern block countries at the moment, some good, some not so good.

I have no problems with replica's but they need to be advertised as such. People are making up histories for bikes to get an increased value and once the bike has gone through a few owners it all of a sudden becomes gospel.

There are some very well known bikes, some in famous museums, that are not what they are represented as. This is bad for any prospective purchaser and members of the public who go to see them.

Dorian

·
Registered
106 Posts
My personal opinion to this topic:

A real oldtimer enthusiast one would be deceived with such a bike itself.

Either right and far- reaching original or leave it (just the heart of the bike, the motor).

And to purchase to this high price a copy, would be nothing for me.

So I'm saving my money, and maybe someday........:mouthwate

Br
Helmut

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
The seller clearly believes it to have a 600 engine or should I say a motor derived from a 600, but as Dorian says, if the engine numbers don't tie up, perhaps he genuinely doesn't know if it's a pukka MV motor or not. I'm with Helmut on this one, if I was going to buy a 750S, I'd save up my pennies and make sure (no disrespect to the guy selling this bike) I got a legit one.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Your both spot-on.

Unfortunatly with the recent rise/greed in classic bike prices and the long awaited arrival of the big time classic car collectors in the market, this type of thing is going to get more common.

Caveat emptor.

Dorian.

·
Registered
523 Posts
The ex-Surtees 600 > 750 Sport conversion had the numbers: Engine, 199035 Frame, 199032. Could Surtees have had two??

Yes, the finish on this engine looks a little odd. A wee bit too 'clean'. Is it painted? (..although the restorer may have just been a bit enthusiastic with the blaster?) Speedo/tach support as well.

Most of it looks more-or-less correct: the chain conversion has neccessarily changed a few things with regard to the cable routing/speedo drive/gear-change swap/rear brake cable etc. One or two parts which should be chromed have been painted (..battery support/horn facing etc.) and the steering damper on the top yoke is one of Dave/Mark Kays' I think. Fuel taps are incorrect for the Sport. (America, maybe?). The rear mudguard support bracket/frame brace looks to have been repositioned/re-welded? Ignition switch is non-original.

It's a decent job, in my opinion, but not a bike I'd buy. I'd pay the extra for an original bike. I can't comment on the 'cloned' engines Dorian talks of. I've not come across these (..although the Kays can do the same, can't they?)

There are a number of 600 > 750 conversions out there. I was negotiating to buy this bike (.. I was told it was a '750S' at the time), until I discovered it had once been a 600. I wonder if the present owner knows?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBM2p-wsrLQ&feature=related

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sorry I'm a total newbie when it comes to these MV classics, but that clone actually looks OK...all right better than OK!

So how much is the going market rate for a pukka 750S? Or is that too rude to ask in polite company

:smoking:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I don't think you can put a straight figure on it. Steve or Dorian or one of the other guys who own one will probably give you a better idea than I can, but £35k upwards would be my best guess.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If I ever was seriously in the market, it would take a helluva lot of persuasion to convince my missus/co-financial controller that these lovelies are an 'investment' proposition rather than a depreciating asset. Unfortunately years of conditioning won't be easily undone.:violin:

·
2,156 Posts
I don't think you can put a straight figure on it. Steve or Dorian or one of the other guys who own one will probably give you a better idea than I can, but £35k upwards would be my best guess.
Gents,
A genuine 750S sold here in Australia just before Xmas for $100,000.00 (aus) :jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Gents,
A genuine 750S sold here in Australia just before Xmas for $100,000.00 (aus) :jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm:
Where was that for sale,i have been looking for one here for awhile?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
This bike was sold last Easter for, I'm told, just under $100,000 to a collector in Tassie. There was also a Sport for sale at the Birdswood museum in SA a year or so ago whith an asking price of $100,000. It came with a full fairing and ended up in Perth. They are the only two Sports I know of that have been for sale in Oz in recent years although I heard of a drum brake sport which was 'sold' in exchange for a restoration of an 850 SS in Queensland (just hoping the recent floods didnt effect the owner).

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
oops, forgot the pic
Very nice.I did contact the seller of the one in South Australia,saw the ad on the bike museum i missed out they already sold it.Never saw this bike for sale

1 - 20 of 21 Posts